1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Beverages and Blades - Traditional of Course

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by Alnamvet68, Sep 9, 2015.

1. Markeologist

Markeologist Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 21, 2018
    Peregrin, what can you tell me about the lack of songbirds in Italy? Plenty of gulls, swallows, and crow-like birds but a nearly complete absence of songbirds.

2. Chui

Chui Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 10, 2012
    @Markeologist politely suggest best not go there - Italy and Malta is a sad, sad hotbed situation of disgusting poaching (netting and liming) of songbirds..........being going on for years, they call it a ‘tradition’ :thumbsdown::(

3. Peregrin

Peregrin Traditional Forum Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Sep 2, 2004
    As Paul stated, this is a big problem in Italy and Malta. A Google search will return a number of articles on the subject. This isn't the place for that discussion though.

Ramrodmb, Cambertree and Duckdog like this.
  4. Jack Black

Jack Black Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2005
    Yeah, or maybe my dad was as tight as a camel's backside in a sandstorm :rolleyes:

'Tiddlers' is good :) :thumbsup:

Sorry for the slow reply Jer, been a mad week :eek:

Definitely Gary, I remember enjoying Peroni in Italy in the 70's. When it was introduced here 20 or so years later, it was very different o_O Great pics my friend :) :thumbsup:

I picked this one up in a local brew-pub yesterday :) :thumbsup:

[​IMG]

5. solphilos

solphilos Basic Member Basic Member

Oct 17, 2009
    IMG_20190705_191914.jpg

6. donn

donn Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 14, 2002
    Didn't know they sold in bottles Jack. That's useful to know...:D

On Friday just gone. A pint of 'Sarah Hughes Dark Ruby Mild' 6%. Being admired in the 'Beacon Hotel' in the town of Sedgley in our West Midland's. The Beacon being the brewery tap for the Sarah Hughes brewery.:thumbsup:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

btb01, Ramrodmb, TheFactor and 14 others like this.
  7. scrteened porch

scrteened porch Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 19, 2012
    I had one Two-Hearted too many on Saturday. This abstemiousness has diminished my capacity, which is a good thing.
    Back to the coffee, and here's a knife I'm getting excited about. This is the third time I've posted this picture this morning.
    [​IMG]
    Brace yourselves for the sheath. You may have a hard time being polite about it, but it will hold the knife and not hold moisture.

8. The Zieg

The Zieg

Jan 31, 2002
    [​IMG]

Swiss watch tells Swiss knife to allow an American cocktail to get lined up! Lots of chores on the farm are mandating this SAK lately. Soon I'll get back to something really traditional. Until then, I throw myself to the mercy of the mods and the mob. (Hey, at least the watch is traditional!)

Zieg

Fodderwing, TheFactor, Dschal and 6 others like this.
  9. Duckdog

Duckdog Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 26, 2012
    Thanks for the pictures and report from a proper libation station, David. I really enjoyed the shared experience, albeit at a distance.

I just sloooowly finished my last 12 pak of Two Hearted, Jer, with sadness. There is a fight between the owner of Bell's and the major beer distributor in northern Virginia, = no Bell's in Virginia. Sadness is widespread.

The week of 100-110° heat index days ended to day, so I took Miss Norma down to a local bistro for cornmeal-crusted fried oysters (with remoulade and slaw) and a spinach salad, with a heavy helping of a Beefeater Martini. The Vic Tinker kept the Martini at attention between "sips".

- Stuart

[​IMG]

Ramrodmb, TheFactor, jwb01 and 10 others like this.
  10. scrteened porch

scrteened porch Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 19, 2012
    That is sad. Let's hope they get over it.

Duckdog likes this.
  11. donn

donn Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 14, 2002
    Thanks Stuart! Glad you enjoyed it as much as I. :D
    The pubs of the West Midlands are amongst the finest in England. It's the area to the west of the city of Birmingham, once known as the 'City of 1000 trades', and also one of the UK's most concentrated areas of mining. It was and still is a mostly working class area that has mostly escaped the scourge of gentrification. This has helped preserve the pubs in the area, and ensured the pubs are still not only still popular but affordable.
    This is the bar of the Olde Swan that I visited before the Beacon Hotel. Home to Olde Swan brewery, the core of the pub has remained unchanged since 1863. Just how pubs used to be and many wish were still like.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for looking. :):thumbsup:

jacksterp, Fodderwing, btb01 and 13 others like this.
  12. black mamba

black mamba Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 21, 2009
    Lovely, David, I wish I were there!

donn likes this.
  13. Cambertree

Cambertree Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 29, 2014
    Wonderful posts all.:thumbsup:

David @donn - your pub tours are always a treat mate.:cool:

Warmed up on a cold Antipodean winter evening with a Bloody Mary - with the added taste of Yorkshire, and some extra heat!

[​IMG]
    It packs a punch!;)

14. Chui

Chui Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 10, 2012
    .........sorry, fellas - have to try and lay off the booze at least one night a week :confused: :oops:

[​IMG]

15. Shock_

Shock_ Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 8, 2015
    [​IMG]

16. jwb01

jwb01 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 6, 2016
    Found Abita beers when I was living and working in South Louisiana, they brew some good ones. This is one of the stoutest imperial stouts I’ve ever had....... I prefer Samuel Smiths, but thissun is pretty good.
    3F9981DB-ACC6-4081-AB07-4A38078AABD2.jpeg

17. TheFactor

TheFactor Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 26, 2015
    Celebrating and having my first cold one with my new arrival . Waynorth #93 LambFoot :thumbsup:
    [​IMG]

18. Prester John

Prester John Gold Member Gold Member

May 20, 2018
    [​IMG]
    One of the best vodkas I've ever had.

19. Pàdruig

Pàdruig Live and Let Die Platinum Member

Dec 1, 2016
    A little wine, a bit of fruit, a cooling evening - getting my weekend kicked off proper.

[​IMG]

20. jwb01

jwb01 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 6, 2016
    Trying the 2019 Crowned Heads Las Calaveras offering with one exceptional Guinness.....
    A8A2C4ED-069F-4897-82BF-716DC86BC375.jpeg