Beverages and Blades - Traditional of Course

I'm happy for you, Stuart. I can only enjoy it vicariously, as I'm homebound recovering from surgery, and getting a mighty case of cabin fever. Hopefully I'll be ready for deer season in November. And I'm always glad to see that beautiful little green handled clip blade!

Thanks, Jeff, and here's hopes for a speedy recovery (well before November). I have an annual pheasant hunt in South Dakota with buddies this October and I'll probably wish I'd had knee surgery before now. That Jarrett Fleming small hunter (and a pair of shears) made breasting-out the doves quick work. The Vic Tinker was relegated to cigar nipping duty in the field.
- Stuart

Still summery weather.
YgqpkkF.jpg

I’m home after spending an extended Labor Day Weekend in Bend, Oregon. I was aware of its reputation for breweries, but, wow, what a beer town!

Over five days, I tried ten beers, each from a different brewery, as I gradually walked my way through enough stops on the Bend Ale Trail to earn a souvenir pint glass. I’ll show that pint glass and some of the other souvenirs that returned with me when I enjoy them in the weeks to come.

In the mean time here are some of the highlight pints:

DtzyGAth.jpg

From left to right, top to bottom:

- Immersion Brewing Company Sexy Girlfriend Kettle Sour
- Bend Brewing Company Tropic Pines IPA
- GoodLife Brewing Company Sippy Cup Pale Ale
- Deschutes Brewery Nitro Obsidian Stout

And, of course, the lambsfoot featured in all photos was the pocketknife that made the journey with me to Bend. BTW, Bend would have been a fantastic place to visit even without the breweries. I’ll share a bit more about the trip elsewhere when I have some time.

Looks like a fantastic time, Greg, I'm glad you got to experience it! Obsidian Stout on nitro is quite a treat.

Whoo! Making me hungry. And thirsty! Very nice.

Thanks, Chris. It was nice. A traditional start to the new season.

I’m home after spending an extended Labor Day Weekend in Bend, Oregon. I was aware of its reputation for breweries, but, wow, what a beer town!

Welcome back, and WOW!! Thanks for the photos and notes. Your post prompted my drink/post tonight.

Still summery weather.

Heck. I'm still wearing white. That looked refreshing (94°and hooomid here today).

A Potzdorf Rauchbier (smoked lager) from Santiam Brewing for me this evening.

vznATSy.jpg

Sublime, Dylan. Thanks for the post hunt/scouting report, too.

- Stuart

Last edited:
Looks like a fantastic time, Greg, I'm glad you got to experience it! Obsidian Stout on nitro is quite a treat.

Thanks! It was a great trip. And, treat is exactly the right way to describe Obsidian Stout on nitro. So good. :)

A Potzdorf Rauchbier (smoked lager) from Santiam Brewing for me this evening.

vznATSy.jpg

Wow. The way the light is coming through the bottom of the glass evokes thoughts of fire. Perfect for a smokey beer. :)

Welsome back, and WOW!! Thanks for the photos and notes. Your post prompted mine drink/post tonight.

Glad you enjoyed them. Those bacon-wrapped dove breasts you showed earlier still have me hungry. :)

I'm loving this Case 3207; it opens so many possibilities. Like this Stone Brewing's Farking Wheaton Woot stout, brewed with wheat, rye, and pecans, bourbon barrel aged, 11.5% ABV.

jGcBJjw.jpg

- Stuart

Very nice! Perfect artwork on that bottle for a beer that must pack quite a punch!

I really like the idea of that mini trapper. Taking inspiration from the post by D Dschal earlier, it'd be a great knife for cutting a lime and opening a bottle of tonic for a G&T. Or, cutting a lime and opening a bottle of ginger beer for a Mule. Or, cutting a lime and... :)

At my parent's house after quite some time. In drawer I found a knife that I had bought as a primary schoolboy almost 30 years ago on a school trip to nearby spa town. (Not sure whether this would be possible nowadays) It is a crappy knife, but it shows that my passion for (slipjoint) knives has been a constant throughout my life, only financial means have become much better over the years.

IMG-20190905-094541.jpg

I'm loving this Case 3207; it opens so many possibilities. Like this Stone Brewing's Farking Wheaton Woot stout, brewed with wheat, rye, and pecans, bourbon barrel aged, 11.5% ABV.

jGcBJjw.jpg

- Stuart
That is such a great little knife. I may have to go hit an estate sale ha ha. Great photo too.

At my parent's house after quite some time. In drawer I found a knife that I had bought as a primary schoolboy almost 30 years ago on a school trip to nearby spa town. (Not sure whether this would be possible nowadays) It is a crappy knife, but it shows that my passion for (slipjoint) knives has been a constant throughout my life, only financial means have become much better over the years.

IMG-20190905-094541.jpg
Is it an Imperial?

Pretty good day so far: slept in a little; made migas a la mexicana with bacon for my wife and me; went to the barber shop, and was second in line for my barber, even though it's Saturday; and now enjoying a nine-inch Arturo Fuente cigar with Tullamore Dew Irish Whiskey, watching Army vs. Michigan (Army winning 14-7 at halftime).
IVMcgjz.jpg

funny.... I had an Oktoberfest by Shiner this afternoon.... this evening was Glenlivet, with a Rocky Patel 50th, and my most recent lambie... an A.Wright rosewood, sort of swayback....

lamb%20rose%20whiskey_zpsbs17ae2b.jpg

Lovely lambsfoot! Is that the standard size, or the smaller one they call a "pruner handle"? Either way, it's worthy of a Scotch. :)

Pretty good day so far: slept in a little; made migas a la mexicana with bacon for my wife and me; went to the barber shop, and was second in line for my barber, even though it's Saturday; and now enjoying a nine-inch Arturo Fuente cigar with Tullamore Dew Irish Whiskey, watching Army vs. Michigan (Army winning 14-7 at halftime).
IVMcgjz.jpg

Vince, glad to hear you're having such a good day. I hope the trend continues to bedtime and carries into tomorrow. :) :thumbsup:

As for me, I've got pizza dough sitting in a warm spot in the garage, letting the yeast do its thing. Charcoal chimney is lit. Pretty soon it'll be pizza time. In the mean time, I'm enjoying this beer that I brought back from Bend. It was my favorite IPA of the trip and isn't even a bit disappointing now:

HjFg1Mch.jpg

The cup is made of silicone, which I'm guessing it to make it friendly for all the river activities going on in Bend. I thought it would be weird, but it's nice and thick and not actually too bad to drink out of. I may get some more for camping. The lambsfoot... well, y'all have seen it before and you'll see it again. :D

Lovely lambsfoot! Is that the standard size, or the smaller one they call a "pruner handle"? Either way, it's worthy of a Scotch. :)
I believe this one is the smaller pruner handle. I'm not familiar with all the A.Wright variations, but I do have an ebony lambfoot that, I think is the "standard" size, and this one is slightly smaller... I'm liking it, so far....

Vince, glad to hear you're having such a good day. I hope the trend continues to bedtime and carries into tomorrow. :) :thumbsup:

As for me, I've got pizza dough sitting in a warm spot in the garage, letting the yeast do its thing. Charcoal chimney is lit. Pretty soon it'll be pizza time. In the mean time, I'm enjoying this beer that I brought back from Bend. It was my favorite IPA of the trip and isn't even a bit disappointing now:

HjFg1Mch.jpg

The cup is made of silicone, which I'm guessing it to make it friendly for all the river activities going on in Bend. I thought it would be weird, but it's nice and thick and not actually too bad to drink out of. I may get some more for camping. The lambsfoot... well, y'all have seen it before and you'll see it again. :D
That beer looks good, Greg, even though I don't like IPA's!

Back