• Swinguard Spear 4"

Votes: 28 10.8%
  • Gunstock Clip 3 1/2"

Votes: 64 24.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m super happy it’s swayback. I don’t have one anymore since I (stupidly) sold my GEC viper. This knife will be incredible with all the modern touches.
I just hope we can get a unique handle material to make it a true forum knife.

Stag will be too expensive.

Ram's Horn/Mufflon is very durable, never seen shrink on any of my examples but it's costly and getting enough for 300 + could be tricky.

Horn Tip they do offer but the variations (which are an attraction for me) might upset the nit-picking brigade ;)

Box Wood is a traditional European handle for working knives. If polished it can look nice, it's blonde. Bit like Curly Birch without the whorls (we've got a tonne of it here in Finland so they can buy the wood direct :D) Curly Birch would look great:cool:

Coco looks nice as does Olive when polished.

But, the fact is, in these exceptional and daunting circumstances we will have to accept or reject what is offered, there's no question of setting down demands or adherence to so-called traditionalism. If the Viper Swayback becomes the Forum Knife 2020 it will be part of a distinguished retinue :cool::thumbsup:

Thanks, Will

Happy to see swayback came out on top.
Looking forward to seeing what covers might be offered. Won't deny liking that grey oak (but, having had 2 craftsman apparently forget that I was on their list, I'm happy to see that alternative scale options should be available for purchase)

If this amboyna burl is available that would look GREAT.
Zw7SAM.jpg
Agreed, Amboyna burl would be very cool. Plus each knife would be slightly different.

I would vote for that Grey oak, it looks great! The swayback was not my choice but it is growing on me:thumbsup:

The issue I would see, using the grey oak, or any existing material used currently, is that we lose a little of the individuality that the Forum Knife usually has. I think we should choose a cover that has not been used for an existing swayback, to help keep it "special". I know there are many other traits that will make it special, but I think the handle will perhaps be the most "defining".
Just random thoughts.... I'm certainly ok with whatever the group wants, and/or whatever Mike can negotiate.

The issue I would see, using the grey oak, or any existing material used currently, is that we lose a little of the individuality that the Forum Knife usually has. I think we should choose a cover that has not been used for an existing swayback, to help keep it "special". I know there are many other traits that will make it special, but I think the handle will perhaps be the most "defining".
Just random thoughts.... I'm certainly ok with whatever the group wants, and/or whatever Mike can negotiate.
+1 Definitely agree!!

I think at some point Mike will put up another poll with available handle choices. Natural materials always appeal more to me on traditionals...but there are some attractive acrylic/Kirinite possibilities out there that may really work with this knife.

15 pages and I haven't been tagged for Photoshop work yet? What the heck is going on here? :eek::D

Step forward Sir!

Here's a list :D Curly Birch, Olive, Box Wood, Briar, Zebra Wood, Horn Tip oh and Burgundy Micarta, Burlap.....;) That ought to keep you busy :eek::)

Communication with Viper is a bit slow and hours are limited. So, before they went home for the weekend they were very excited about the opportunity and mentioned several slabs they would like to offer for the project. But.... by the time I responded it was too late to get the individual pricing.

I agree that there is no sense doing a BF knife is slabs that have already been used. So, let's rule out stag, grey oak, od canvas (first run) and bocote, natural canvas, marbled carbon fiber (second run). The options they presented were:

zircote wood
ebony wood
olive wood
stabilized maple burl wood
amboina burl wood
birch maple wood
juniper wood
ox horn tip (black or blonde)
ram horn
giraffe bone

There are examples of all these on their website on some pattern or another.

I love horn, but it has its complications. If everyone agrees I don't have to take a return because of the horn - I am fine with it.
I would like to first see the price of the giraffe as I figure it might be a bit more expensive than the others.
I am not interested in acrylic and not sure I have ever seen it on a Viper knife. I don't want to be the first knife in which a factory attempts a new material.

If/As we proceed the pace will be much quicker; because the factory's schedule was late November when I contracted the second run a couple weeks ago. So, for those that check in every few weeks, you may miss this one if it happens.

Let's discuss is here until we move to another poll (at which time I will close this thread anyway).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back