1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

BF2020 Viper Swayback Discuss Thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by knifeswapper, Nov 12, 2020.

1. NewBlades16

NewBlades16 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 28, 2015
    I agree. That one takes home the gold!

Sacto and marcus52AR like this.
  2. TheFactor

TheFactor Life is good ! Platinum Member

Feb 26, 2015
    It must be hanging out with all my X’s :D

3. TheFactor

Feb 26, 2015
    It’s a Texas conspiracy :p
    All kidding a side I’m sorry to hear that my friend. I know especially when your so close and down the stretch those few extra days seem like an eternity !
    :) just in case Edit

Last edited: Nov 18, 2020
    Tigerden and Xr6x like this.
  4. TheFactor

Feb 26, 2015
    LOL !!!!!!!!!!!! :D

meako likes this.
  5. SpyderPhreak

SpyderPhreak Rocketman for hire Platinum Member

Apr 13, 2004
    Glad to see more folks cleaning the polishing compound off. The dark ones look soooo much better without it. :D :thumbsup:

Agreed, and same reason I just went ahead and cleaned them while off of the knife.

That's what I used after cleaning mine up. I've had pretty good luck with Ren wax in the past, seems to hold up pretty well. I don't see why the underlying material would matter too much.

Elgatodeacero and JJ_Colt45 like this.
  6. knarfeng

knarfeng senex morosus moderator Staff Member Super Mod Moderator

Jul 30, 2006
    As usual, my pictures do not do the knife justice.
    I used it for a couple small items today. A pleasure, is all I will say, except that I'll echo someone else's comment, "It came sharp."

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Elgatodeacero, mbkr, Dadpool and 39 others like this.
  7. TheFactor

Feb 26, 2015
    Oh man that ones nice !
    Love the marbling markings :eek: :thumbsup:
    They are sharp I tested mine out tonight slicing up a TV dinner box just because I could lol and man it sliced threw it with no effort.

8. Will Power

Will Power Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 18, 2007
    A Siberian Tiger has emerged :eek::cool::cool:

benchwarmer380, TheFactor and meako like this.
  9. knifethetank

knifethetank Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 18, 2018
    I'm happy with my rams horn as it is, if it wasn't a forum knife I probably wouldn't have purchased. I've always stayed away from buying rams horn because you never know what it will look like and it can slightly move changing the shape and even worse warp. If it was me I wouldn't clean these horns using water even if it's a little, if any moisture sets in I think you could be asking for trouble. Yes I'm cautious, yes the amount of water being used is probably not more than a sweaty hand. If the wax really bothered me I think I would try and buff it out with a soft horsehair boot brush first. Just my 2 cents.

10. redsparrow

redsparrow Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 2014
    Very pleased with this year's Forum knife. :thumbsup::thumbsup: They seem to have been adequately reviewed and I agree, they are a strong, sharp capable knife. So all that remains is to show mine, which is quite unique, the best of both worlds and to point out one thing.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    When closed the blade tip (while not yet proud) can catch the skin of a finger if it is slid along the well from the butt forward. :eek: An issue that will need a solution since it will only grow more unsafe through sharpening. Any suggestions on lowering the blade would be appreciated. Thanks for your attention and have a great day.:)

mbkr, Dadpool, Xr6x and 24 others like this.
  11. Cvrobinson

Cvrobinson Going to hell, I’ll be back, anyone need anything Gold Member

Dec 19, 2017
    Striped the buffing compound off mine also, waxed it with a carnauba/beeswax w/lemon&orange extract (food safe and smells nice) Replaced the artificial shine with a deep luster, really shows off the depth of the horn.
    AD6149A7-48F9-4B22-BF72-2076BF7A4DD9.jpeg

Elgatodeacero, Ian80, mbkr and 26 others like this.
  12. joeradza

joeradza Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 6, 2014
    I usually go with less is more. Just a very soft brush and and a slightly damp cloth and then rubbed it with an old t-shirt. An improvement. The horn has matte and glossy areas which react differently to a buffing. Before and two after pics. 5F552872-0936-4C76-ACD6-F36328015DA9.jpeg E470A408-EB3F-4C7D-807F-AF37CD8149F1.jpeg 3F219E4D-B081-476B-9803-DD380002F5D3.jpeg

13. Cvrobinson

Cvrobinson Going to hell, I’ll be back, anyone need anything Gold Member

Dec 19, 2017
    Went the other route, more is more, dog, I, an the knife took an unplanned dip into the river yesterday, the impetus for the scale removal, buff an wax. Opps 8898A108-C8A6-44EA-902E-F7C76FD82E02.jpeg

14. knifethetank

knifethetank Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 18, 2018
    yes, less is more, it looks good Alan :thumbsup:

15. joeradza

joeradza Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 6, 2014
    Thank you Frank. It is a superb design and the execution is flawless

knifethetank likes this.
  16. Ramrodmb

Ramrodmb Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 9, 2010
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Elgatodeacero, mbkr, Dadpool and 37 others like this.
  17. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2005
    Have to admit that seeing something other than a knife in this thread was refreshing. But I like situational photos and this one is use related.

On the knife topic, I'm glad I received a light colored one with a little added interest. I like the dark ones, but I still prefer the dominantly light colored ones.

Quiet and joeradza like this.
  18. seas165

seas165 Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 2, 2014
    How does horn react to oils? I have never had horn before. And as far as moisture or water is applying a wax the best protection? I have a blend of beeswax and cocoa butter i use o leather would that be ok?

19. r8shell

r8shell Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jan 16, 2010
    On a knife with traditional construction, I would carefully file the kick. This knife uses a stop pin, which meets an indention in the blade's tang. I don't know if the knife is easily disassemble-able, but if so, I imagine one could use a round needle file to lower that area. The only other idea I can come up with is to file down the spine, which would move the tip back by shortening the blade. I hope someone has other ideas.

Mass1632, untytled and jux t like this.
  20. untytled

untytled Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 21, 2014
    This method of filing the indent to gain some depth at the stop pin works with the Lionsteel Roundhead but the area on those is easily accessible. These however.... guess I'll find out when I get to that point.

r8shell likes this.