BF2020 Viper Swayback Discuss Thread

Waiting Waiting.
20201118-065557.jpg
LOL !!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Glad to see more folks cleaning the polishing compound off. The dark ones look soooo much better without it. :D :thumbsup:

The covers were much easier to remove than anticipated (I applaud Viper's use of blue Loctite!), so I just went ahead and removed them before scrubbing them down with a toothbrush and soap. It was probably for the best as there was quite a bit of polishing compound and it took some elbow grease to remove. An added perk was that the smell that I didn't care for was coming from the polishing compound and is now gone for the most part. I dried them and then added a coat of Johnson's Paste Wax. I figure I'll let them sit overnight and then give them a good buff in the morning. So far I think they look a lot better without the polishing compound (especially the blonde). Some of the crevices were a fair bit deeper than I thought. I'll try to get some better pics up tomorrow when their is some light. :)

sQykM3q.jpg

Agreed, and same reason I just went ahead and cleaned them while off of the knife.

I am considering taking a brush and soap to the scales to clean them up and trying Ren wax on them, just curious if anyone has used this on ram horn in the past and how it holds up? Or if you had to reapply so often? Compared to the wax it was buffed with from the factory?

I've used Ren was on some handle scales in the past but never on ram horn so I'm wondering.
That's what I used after cleaning mine up. I've had pretty good luck with Ren wax in the past, seems to hold up pretty well. I don't see why the underlying material would matter too much.

Last edited:
As usual, my pictures do not do the knife justice.
I used it for a couple small items today. A pleasure, is all I will say, except that I'll echo someone else's comment, "It came sharp."

PlNYeeQ.jpg

DpeAKiM.jpg
Oh man that ones nice !
Love the marbling markings :eek: :thumbsup:
They are sharp I tested mine out tonight slicing up a TV dinner box just because I could lol and man it sliced threw it with no effort.

Last edited:
I'm happy with my rams horn as it is, if it wasn't a forum knife I probably wouldn't have purchased. I've always stayed away from buying rams horn because you never know what it will look like and it can slightly move changing the shape and even worse warp. If it was me I wouldn't clean these horns using water even if it's a little, if any moisture sets in I think you could be asking for trouble. Yes I'm cautious, yes the amount of water being used is probably not more than a sweaty hand. If the wax really bothered me I think I would try and buff it out with a soft horsehair boot brush first. Just my 2 cents.

Very pleased with this year's Forum knife. :thumbsup::thumbsup: They seem to have been adequately reviewed and I agree, they are a strong, sharp capable knife. So all that remains is to show mine, which is quite unique, the best of both worlds and to point out one thing.
35ts4WU.jpg

s83BJQp.jpg

When closed the blade tip (while not yet proud) can catch the skin of a finger if it is slid along the well from the butt forward. :eek: An issue that will need a solution since it will only grow more unsafe through sharpening. Any suggestions on lowering the blade would be appreciated. Thanks for your attention and have a great day.:)

Striped the buffing compound off mine also, waxed it with a carnauba/beeswax w/lemon&orange extract (food safe and smells nice) Replaced the artificial shine with a deep luster, really shows off the depth of the horn.
AD6149A7-48F9-4B22-BF72-2076BF7A4DD9.jpeg

Last edited:
I usually go with less is more. Just a very soft brush and and a slightly damp cloth and then rubbed it with an old t-shirt. An improvement. The horn has matte and glossy areas which react differently to a buffing. Before and two after pics.View attachment 1457499View attachment 1457500View attachment 1457501

Went the other route, more is more, dog, I, an the knife took an unplanned dip into the river yesterday, the impetus for the scale removal, buff an wax. Opps 8898A108-C8A6-44EA-902E-F7C76FD82E02.jpeg

Went the other route, more is more, dog, I, an the knife took an unplanned dip into the river yesterday, the impetus for the scale removal, buff an wax. Opps View attachment 1457507
Have to admit that seeing something other than a knife in this thread was refreshing. But I like situational photos and this one is use related.

On the knife topic, I'm glad I received a light colored one with a little added interest. I like the dark ones, but I still prefer the dominantly light colored ones.

How does horn react to oils? I have never had horn before. And as far as moisture or water is applying a wax the best protection? I have a blend of beeswax and cocoa butter i use o leather would that be ok?

Last edited:
Very pleased with this year's Forum knife. :thumbsup::thumbsup: They seem to have been adequately reviewed and I agree, they are a strong, sharp capable knife. So all that remains is to show mine, which is quite unique, the best of both worlds and to point out one thing.
35ts4WU.jpg

s83BJQp.jpg

When closed the blade tip (while not yet proud) can catch the skin of a finger if it is slid along the well from the butt forward. :eek: An issue that will need a solution since it will only grow more unsafe through sharpening. Any suggestions on lowering the blade would be appreciated. Thanks for your attention and have a great day.:)
On a knife with traditional construction, I would carefully file the kick. This knife uses a stop pin, which meets an indention in the blade's tang. I don't know if the knife is easily disassemble-able, but if so, I imagine one could use a round needle file to lower that area. The only other idea I can come up with is to file down the spine, which would move the tip back by shortening the blade. I hope someone has other ideas.

On a knife with traditional construction, I would carefully file the kick. This knife uses a stop pin, which meets an indention in the blade's tang. I don't know if the knife is easily disassemble-able, but if so, I imagine one could use a round needle file to lower that area. The only other idea I can come up with is to file down the spine, which would move the tip back by shortening the blade. I hope someone has other ideas.

This method of filing the indent to gain some depth at the stop pin works with the Lionsteel Roundhead but the area on those is easily accessible. These however.... guess I'll find out when I get to that point.

Back