1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

BF2020 Viper Swayback Discuss Thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by knifeswapper, Nov 12, 2020.

1. FLymon

FLymon Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 23, 2006
    Warping makes sense because the tensions that existed during growth and when the horn was intact are gone and the material is pretty thin. Changing humidity and temps alone will obviously have an effect over time.
    Is water a problem because interior horn material is exposed? Or it's not growing anymore?
    Because I would think they get and stay wet quite often while being worn by the animal.

2. Barman1

Barman1 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 21, 2013
    It would be a long process of disassembly>file>reassemble>observe result<repeat if necessary
    Tedious I suppose, but care must be taken to not remove too much material from the groove, that would obviously lead to another repair.
    And M390 resists most types of file, tough stuff.

redsparrow likes this.
  3. redsparrow

redsparrow Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 2014
    Thanks for your input r8shell. I hadn't thought of disassembly but unfortunately I think you are right. It seems the only way to accurately remove metal from the stop-pin indentation on the blade.

4. r8shell

r8shell Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jan 16, 2010
    Yeah, this is my only criticism of the knife. I know how to do simple modification/repairs on more traditionally constructed ones. And the steel is too hard. :p
    I sound like those old guys who don't like modern cars because they can't fix 'em in their driveways. Hopefully it'll be a while before I have to deal with a proud tip.

jux t, Henry Beige, Mass1632 and 4 others like this.
  5. jrawk

jrawk

Jul 14, 2014
    @redsparrow if the tip is already catching your finger, were I you, i'd shoot a message to Viper Knives to have it fixed before attempting to fix it yourself. Its likely a manufacturing error.

For what its worth, I marked my blade with pencil where it'd start to peak above the liners to measure. It's nearly a 1/8th inch. For me to sharpen M390 steel past that point is not something I'd expect to see in my remaining lifetime (i'm 40). A couple passes on a fine grit diamond stone and then a loaded strop should do wonders to restore the edge.

redsparrow and CelloDan like this.
  6. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    I'd imagine you could just remove the pivot screw and slide the blade out.

Cvrobinson likes this.
  7. scrteened porch

scrteened porch Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 19, 2012
    I'm scared of bugs, so my new handle has been sprayed with kerosene and rubbed with kerosene and linseed oil. It seems fine with it. [​IMG]

8. Barman1

Barman1 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 21, 2013
    Backspring tension, pb washers... a little more convoluted.

9. Ramrodmb

Ramrodmb Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 9, 2010
    It's getting it back together that's the tricky part.;)

mbkr, BigKurtHaze, Will Power and 4 others like this.
  10. TraditionalMedicinal

TraditionalMedicinal Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 17, 2020
    Bugs?

11. scrteened porch

Feb 19, 2012
    Woodworms and such.

TraditionalMedicinal likes this.
  12. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    Hadn't thought of that... :eek:

I've obviously never tried it myself... I'll let Rachel try first. :D

Ramrodmb likes this.
  13. seas165

seas165 Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 2, 2014
    Are bugs a common issue with horn?

14. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2005
    I would be surprised if you sharpened it 100 times by traditional means to be a problem. I had a well worn Case Barlow that with a lot of sharpening (years worth), it developed a protruding tip closed and I retired it. The blade was seriously worn at that point.

I doubt most of us will ever develop a proud tip with these knives. Yes to contacting Viper IF it is really a problem or just something you think will be an issue 20 years from now.

CelloDan likes this.
  15. r8shell

r8shell Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jan 16, 2010
    Hmm. Mine is about half a millimeter below the liner.
    At the point it starts tearing up my pocket, I may have to do something.

CelloDan likes this.
  16. CelloDan

CelloDan Basic Member Basic Member

Dec 2, 2017
    Just a thought, sort of wondering out loud and a question for those that know.

Would shellac be appropriate to apply/seal the horn after washing it up ?

I know it's food safe as it's used for medicines and candy, it is a natural product, good sealer, moisture proof etc.
    I have flakes that I use once in a while on wooden projects by mixing them with denature alcohol.

17. jlauffer

jlauffer Dissident Aggressor Platinum Member

Apr 11, 2016
    Still no idea where mine is, and still no tracking info beyond it leaving OKC on the 13th.

18. scrteened porch

Feb 19, 2012
    I don't know how common it is. I passed on a horn-tip handled carving set once because it had flight-holes in the handles.

19. Old Hunter

Old Hunter Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 12, 2012
    Mine came earlier than expected, this past Monday (after the USPS tracker predicted today, Wednesday). Unfortunately I had already left home to hunt for a few days, and just got to open it up and look today. What a great surprise - I got the Rachel model - looks a bit like the Hatteras Lighthouse. Great walk & talk, great fit & finish, very sharp, and cool to boot! OH
    Ps I take it the tang etch of "M390" is the blade steel? Is that a stainless steel? thanks to Mike at Collector Knives for making this Blade Forum Knife happen!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Elgatodeacero, mbkr, Dadpool and 31 others like this.
  20. Chui

Chui Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 10, 2012
    Purely out interest, since there’s this chat about Ramshorn and care thereof - some of the most coveted old English walking sticks have Ramshorn handles.

The horn is heated and curved around a steel former into the correct shape, they’re then polished to a state of utter magnificence. To keep them in tip-top shape - brass polish. To preserve them - palm sweat.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2020