BF2020 Viper Swayback Discuss Thread

I'm scared of bugs, so my new handle has been sprayed with kerosene and rubbed with kerosene and linseed oil. It seems fine with it.
hvRqYLT.jpg
:eek:You don’t smoke do you ?:D

Mine came earlier than expected, this past Monday (after the USPS tracker predicted today, Wednesday). Unfortunately I had already left home to hunt for a few days, and just got to open it up and look today. What a great surprise - I got the Rachel model - looks a bit like the Hatteras Lighthouse. Great walk & talk, great fit & finish, very sharp, and cool to boot! OH
Ps I take it the tang etch of "M390" is the blade steel? Is that a stainless steel? thanks to Mike at Collector Knives for making this Blade Forum Knife happen!
Viper-Blade-Forums-2020-1.jpg

Viper-Blade-Forums-2020-3.jpg
Yes and a outstanding one !
Just strop it once in a while and you’ll probably never need to sharpen it unless your really hard on it.
M390 is a super steel manufactured by Bohler-Uddeholm (result of merger of Austrian Bohler and Swedish Uddeholm). It uses third generation powder metal technology and developed for knife blades requiring excellent corrosion resistance and very high hardness for excellent wear resistance.

Just strop it once in a while and you’ll probably never need to sharpen it unless your really hard on it.
M390 is a super steel manufactured by Bohler-Uddeholm (result of merger of Austrian Bohler and Swedish Uddeholm). It uses third generation powder metal technology and developed for knife blades requiring excellent corrosion resistance and very high hardness for excellent wear resistance.

That is splendid! Thanks for the informative answer. OH

Noooooooooo! Mine is going to be late! Okay, it isn't really that big of a deal, but I was hoping it would show up today. It hasn't arrived at my PO yet per tracking info. I'll just have to scroll back and look at all the awesome ones that have found their way to their homes and wait for mine to show up, hopefully before this weekend. I know it will be worth the wait.

O15JOe5.jpg

Noooooooooo! Mine is going to be late! Okay, it isn't really that big of a deal, but I was hoping it would show up today. It hasn't arrived at my PO yet per tracking info. I'll just have to scroll back and look at all the awesome ones that have found their way to their homes and wait for mine to show up, hopefully before this weekend. I know it will be worth the wait.

O15JOe5.jpg
I know the feeling

One side of the frame just lifts right off and the stop pin can be removed simply.
Takes just a few minutes.
I'm not sure if there are any variations in the grinds or f&f on these but if there are the results may vary regarding blade clearance.
One of those ymmv situations....
Quoting myself for a quick followup on this one....

Earlier when I tested and measured with no stop pin there was plenty of clearance but I didn't check for clearance issues with a full snap back into the blade pocket.
So...I pulled it apart (just one side, only took a minute) and removed the stop pin then completely reassembled.
The tip just barely makes contact with a full snap with the pin removed, no contact in the center.
The backspring must flex just a little more than I thought it would.
Just wanted to follow up with accurate info.
And the tip "damage" was so slight I could hardly see it, just barely touched, took like a minute to put it back.

OK, now I'm done fiddling, just can't help myself lol.:rolleyes:

Quoting myself for a quick followup on this one....

Earlier when I tested and measured with no stop pin there was plenty of clearance but I didn't check for clearance issues with a full snap back into the blade pocket.
So...I pulled it apart (just one side, only took a minute) and removed the stop pin then completely reassembled.
The tip just barely makes contact with a full snap with the pin removed, no contact in the center.
The backspring must flex just a little more than I thought it would.
Just wanted to follow up with accurate info.
And the tip "damage" was so slight I could hardly see it, just barely touched, took like a minute to put it back.

OK, now I'm done fiddling, just can't help myself lol.:rolleyes:

If it is finally sharpened down to a point that it needs dropped; the stop pin might be the only solution required. Since you already lowered yours it may have allowed the impact. Just a thought.

If it is finally sharpened down to a point that it needs dropped; the stop pin might be the only solution required. Since you already lowered yours it may have allowed the impact. Just a thought.
No contact with the stop pin installed, just touched with it out, and that was only when the blade was allowed a full snap back into the frame.
All's back to normal now with the pin back in.

Also, seeing as you're right here...thanks for the effort putting all of this together!
Happy as could be with my pair of new knives.:thumbsup::)

Horn can be bent under heat. If he wants to send it back I can attempt to fix it. I have no replacements and the factory has no more (nor will it probably ever be made again).
I appreciate the offer. I'll think about it, but I don't imagine much can be done to fix it.

The gaps go up to the middle screw on one side and halfway up to the middle screw on the other side. The cover is thinner than the width of the liner for about 1/3 of its length on the side with the gap going up to the middle screw, so I can't imagine attempting to bend it on both sides would end well. The entire head of the screw is proud of the scale, so it's pretty thin there. I checked the screws to see if they were snug, and they were, so the gaps between liners and backspring are there to stay as well.

Anyway, I don't want to fill the thread with complaints. There are a lot of great looking knives so far!

OO. Sounds more impressive than I realized. I haven't actually cut anything with mine yet, never mind sharpening it.

OO. Sounds more impressive than I realized. I haven't actually cut anything with mine yet, never mind sharpening it.
M390 is one of if not my favorite blade steels.
Your going to love it ! When and if you and have to sharpen it’s not to bad like M4 and Similar that can be difficult to sharpen. But M390 is a great balance of holding a edge and ease of sharpening. It will be harder to sharpen though then what your probably use to like 1095 but will hold a edge way way longer :thumbsup: The trick and what helps is to not let it get dull and just strop it once in a while.

Back