BF2020 Viper Swayback Discuss Thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by knifeswapper, Nov 12, 2020.

1. Lee D

Lee D Basic Member Basic Member

May 27, 2013
    Very nice! :thumbsup:

Reaper AL and craytab like this.
  2. JTB_5

JTB_5 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 6, 2017
    I’ve been enjoying this Viper Swayback so well that I decided to snag a stag Sowbelly that I’ve been hemming and hawing over for the past few months. I don’t know what it is exactly, but I prefer the Viper aesthetics to the Lionsteel examples I’ve had.

3. Railsplitter

Railsplitter Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 31, 2010
    I’ve been looking at those Sowbellies too. The only thing holding me back is that I want to be able to pinch the blade open.

I think it can be done but maybe not quite as easily as I prefer. I might end up getting one so I can see for myself.

Reaper AL and JTB_5 like this.
  4. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    The Viper also feels more robust than my Lionsteel knives.

Reaper AL, Modoc ED and JTB_5 like this.
  5. JTB_5

JTB_5 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 6, 2017
    I’ll let you know about that when I get it. I’ll post a review in the thread that already exists for it.
    That’s true of the barlows for sure. I had a Bolus that had great stag and was very well made and was very comfy in hand too, but it just looked kinda off to me for some reason.

Reaper AL and Railsplitter like this.
  6. Wild Willie

Wild Willie Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 19, 2018
    @jlauffer

Any update on your missing package?

7. jlauffer

jlauffer Tempt not the Blade Platinum Member

Apr 11, 2016
    Yes, finally! Last night the tracking said it made it to CT, and I just checked it again now and it's in MA, so hopefully it will arrive Mon. Fingers crossed!

8. Wild Willie

Wild Willie Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Glad to hear it! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Reaper AL and jlauffer like this.
  9. Modoc ED

Modoc ED Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 28, 2010
    @jlauffer - Please let us know when it comes in and show pictures of it. I hope everyone keeps showing pictures of their knives. Here's another picture of mine I haven't shown yet.

[​IMG]

10. r8shell

r8shell Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jan 16, 2010
    Good to know it's not lost. :cool::thumbsup:

11. GE Jr

GE Jr Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 29, 2015
    Always good when your pkg emerges from the USPS black hole...happened to me recently with something I sent. I've had good luck up until then. Things bound for here in CT from OKC usually hit Springfield, MA first. Seems their system is getting more strained at times lately.

12. Sacto

Sacto Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 27, 2017
    The m390 should be good. It slices great and no worry of corrosion from the salt. I haven’t had problems doing this with 1095 but always worry a bit. Another good one I have for this task is a Case wharncliffe trapper in stainless.

That’s the look of excitement from the cows because they’re getting more salt. :)

13. JJ_Colt45

JJ_Colt45 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 11, 2014
    @knifeswapper Someone asked me and I didn't have the answer ... they wondered how many f these were made total? I guessed around 350 to 376?

Reaper AL likes this.
  14. TheFactor

TheFactor Life is good ! Platinum Member

Feb 26, 2015
    I had asked a few pages back and he responded 350 :thumbsup:

Reaper AL likes this.
  15. TheFactor

TheFactor Life is good ! Platinum Member

Feb 26, 2015
    Think you could put a saddle on that thing :eek:

Reaper AL and Will Power like this.
  16. GaiusJulius

GaiusJulius

Jan 9, 2016
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Got mine a couple days ago. It arrived when I was out of town.

Fit and finish is great. I love the proportions, too. It’s ideal for my hand. A touch smaller than the GEC Viper, and notably bigger than the Case Swayback Jack. Also love the very sharp blade. I abused mine the second day I had it, cutting an old paint roller off the frame (not the ideal use of a wharncliffe, especially a brand new one, but it’s what I had in my pocket and what good is a knife if it can’t cut what needs cutting?) Took a minuscule chip off the very tip, but the blade was still sharp enough to shave arm hairs after this barbaric treatment.

Overall the knife is everything I hoped it would be, and then some, and I’m very happy I got one. Thank you, Mike, for making it happen!

Edited to add some pics!

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020
  17. drake998

drake998 Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2019
    5F623DA0-A3C6-4578-92C0-E7FD61E0056F.jpeg EFA6D239-30AF-431B-A363-C7E92022918F.jpeg
    Finally got my hands on my very light example and thought it looked good on the countertops! Really liking mine, thank you Mike for pulling this off!

18. Modoc ED

Modoc ED Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 28, 2010
    That's a nice one!!! It would look good on anything or anywhere.

19. Barman1

Barman1 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 21, 2013
  20. hhmoore

hhmoore Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 7, 2014
    Mine finally showed up a few days ago - haven't opened the package, yet...but I moved it from the counter to my desk.

Reaper AL likes this.