Blue M390 PM2

I have taken my digicam PM2 and GB apart. PM2 was to thoroughly clean and polish pivot washers and adjust everything so it was centered,smooth, etc(I bought it used). GB was taken apart so I could force a patina on the blade and not muck up the rest of the knife. My guess is they can tell by looking at the factory loctite as well as if any internal parts were messed with (scratches, etc).

I had a super stiff m390 pm2.. could not flip it open and couldn't close it with one hand where you normally can. The lock required ALOT of pressure just to disengage. Thought about sending it back to Spyderco but I was super hesitant cause they had a 3-4 week turn around time. So I decided to go to my local dealer and ask what they would do. Sure enough they reassured me that sending it back would be the way to go cause I spent that money for the knife already. Prior to all this I tried all the so called "fix it" techniques. Like taking a pencil and coating the lock... (which i don't recommend it seems like it lubes the lock so that it goes further in).. Then the usual oil the pivot. Move the stop pin.. nothing worked.. so i decided to send it in...

Waited 4 weeks got it back and I was able to flip it with hand but the lock was still super sticky and would require a lot of pressure just to disengage still. So, frustrated after spending so much for the knife and waiting 4 weeks to get it back, i said screw it and took it apart. cleaned everything and oiled the washers put everything back together and slowly tightening the stop pin to my liking.. and bam! i haven't had any locking problems with my knife.. the knife is literally scarier now that it flips open so fast and falls down by itself when I close it.....

Im not saying you should take apart your knife... nor do i recommend you doing so cause it can void your warranty... but i was literally left with no other options after already sending it back to spyderco and having the results not being much different. And am i in no way trying to put down spyderco's warranty. BUT, i have to say that sending it back was pretty scary cause you don't get any information of them receiving it or any status updates. So email spyderco and see how long the turn around time is... gl!

thanks for the info jkh. the only reason I'm hesitant open this knife up, other than the fact that I've never taken any of my folders apart, is that I think the stiffness problem is due to the compression lock putting too much pressure on the blade. If I hold the lock down the blade will drop open smoothly and generally rotates without resistance but when I don't have the lock fully disengaged (and it takes a bit of pressure to do so) the blade action is very stiff. I'm just not sure if I know how that can be fixed without bending some metal and I'm pretty sure that's not something I want to do.

3-4 weeks and I suppose I have to pay to ship the knife to them. i sent them an email so we'll see what they say. thanks again for the input everyone and sorry for the derail.

3 week turn around time according to spyderco and yes disassembling void's the warranty, according to the email I just got.

I don't meant to trash spyderco, they obviously have a loyal following for a reason but I'd be lying if I said this doesn't leave a bad taste in my mouth.

I used mine to scrape a two square foot puddle of hardened beeswax that spilled on my concrete garage floor. I was amazed to find that it still had a perfectly usable edge when I was finished. That's some serious wear resistance in my book.

3 week turn around time according to spyderco and yes disassembling void's the warranty, according to the email I just got.

I don't meant to trash spyderco, they obviously have a loyal following for a reason but I'd be lying if I said this doesn't leave a bad taste in my mouth.
I suspect th reason for this came about people claiming that they "needed" to take their knife apart for "cleaning", and suddenly found they weren't as good at putting things back together. When the knife is sent in, it takes a worker off the line, slowing production to fix someone's mistake. Makes sense to me.

I ordered one on Saturday morning ..... it arrived here late this afternoon (CA to PA in 2 days ... talk about quick!). I am not addicted to the Para 2 like so many are ... but, without reservation, it is a great kinfe. This is my second (first one is the Black S30V). Have to say, it arrived here in perfect condition. Perfectly centered, VERY even (36 degree inclusive) grind, smooth opening. Was not as smooth out of the box as my other Para 2 ... but a little Ballistol in the pivot area and it super smooth. Main reason for buying was the M390. I love that steel.

I got my blue saber last week but just now got a chance to upload some good photos. I own a couple of other Spyderco knives from long ago but more recently I have used Benchmades for EDC. I bought the PM2 on faith after reading what everybody says about them, and spent more on this one that I have ever spent for an EDC knife. I actually have the brown model too and despite the few people that have talked about issues with their new PM2's mine both seem to be flawless and operate very smoothly. I didn't play with the edge on the brown one but the blue one is very sharp out of the box.

First is a quick cellphone photo- I decided to make this an EDC knife so I immediately took it out of the package and put it in my pocket before I had a chance to back out.

photo391c.jpg

Now the posed photos with the better camera:

DSC_6680b.jpg

DSC_6682b.jpg

DSC_6683b.jpg

DSC_6686b.jpg

I had read a lot about the PM2 compression lock but couldn't find any information on how to deliberately operate it. Most people on youtube seemed to flip the knife closed. I'm not doing that because of an unfortunate accident 15 years ago so now I prefer to close mine more slowly and deliberately. I found that I could hold the knife in my palm between my thumb and last 2 fingers, push up on the blade with my index finger while pushing on the lock with my second finger. This works about as well for me as a normal liner lock, I just have to be careful to keep the tip of my little finger out of the way.

DSC_6687b.jpg

The blue G10 doesn't hide dirt very well. The photo actually minimizes how grubby mine looks.

bluescale.jpg

blueuser.jpg

elkins45 - it's nice to see a well used (but not abused) knife. Pity BB doesn't appear to ship outside of the USA.

As I posted earlier .... the Blue Para 2 got here Saturday. Not that any additional pics of this knife are needed .... but since I was taking some today for my collection photos (and am quite pleased with the knife .... figured, what the heck!) ....

Para2M390a.jpg

Para2M390b.jpg

Just ordered one of the CF Millies in M390 from KnifeWorks this morning. Can't wait!

Darn I am really considering to get this knife, but it is a little on the high end for me so it is a little difficult for me to justify getting one. I always end up asking "is it worth it?". One day...

Darn I am really considering to get this knife, but it is a little on the high end for me so it is a little difficult for me to justify getting one. I always end up asking "is it worth it?". One day...

This was my first PM2 and the most expensive knife I'd bought... and it's been worth every penny.

One think to think about is what you may have to pay if you change your mind after they're sold out. I've had that happen a couple of times :( and had to pony up a lot more on the resale market. :eek:

One think to think about is what you may have to pay if you change your mind after they're sold out. I've had that happen a couple of times :( and had to pony up a lot more on the resale market. :eek:

It's funny, people are already trying to sell them for $50-100 more on ebay.

Well, I opened and closed my PM2 about a million times and finally got it smooth enough to flick open with my thumb. I didn't lube it as I hate all the dirt that the stuff attracts. Adjusted the pivot screw and got the blade pretty dang centered. There is the slightest amount of side to side play but nothing I can feel while cutting. Speaking of cutting, holy crap this m390 cuts through anything! Wood, rope, flesh (ask me how I know), anything! I'm not thrilled that I had to mess with the knife so much to get it functioning but at least I didn't have to send it in or void the warranty by opening it, which I'm sure I will do at some point since I will no doubt have to clean the thing one day.

Back