Busses and Whisky

Nikka is excellent whisky. I like all of their expressions up to the 17 year. Have not had the 21. My favorite Nikka, however, is "From the Barrel" love it.
yea, seen you guys talk about it, but it's still kind of a mystery to me. This store I've been going to has some of them but I'm kind of lost - I see a lot of infusion stuff? Obviously not bound by the box that Scotch is in, I take it as another path on a different road so to speak?

Holy shtOla' dude - Man, I see the Ice! :D ` I'm still waiting on mine....killing me....I'm just hoping customs doesn't blow it for me :eek:

Did you see the 24 year highland park by gordon mcphail? That one is awesome. I prefer it to the new 25 year.

Hosting a scotch and cigars event at my place tonight. It is typically BYODrink, but I always like to put stuff out so people can try something different.

Y9CxaXT.jpg

9cSQJLv.jpg
Oh my invite must have gotten lost in the mail. No worries, I'll be there at 6 :p

Did you see the 24 year highland park by gordon mcphail? That one is awesome. I prefer it to the new 25 year.
I do now, but honestly, like I've talked about, I don't know enough to appreciate what I'm actually seeing so you'll have to forgive me kind sir I'm not worthy :D. I already spent a little time googling some of your bottles, You have some really amazing things there I can only dream about. Beautiful stash :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

One of these day man! I'm keeping an eye out for a plane ticket like we have to Orlando, round trip to Denver $129 LOLOLO!!!

Last edited:
Invite is always open. If you guys were local, I would certainly have you guys over.

My tastes are different than many others in this thread (I'm not a fan of sherry or port aged whiskies, there is such a thing as "too much peat", I've never met a Macallan that I liked, etc...) but man, I can't agree more with those who mention liking Pikesville Rye. I enjoy having a variety of whisky, but I tell you, if there was a "you can choose only one bourbon and one rye" situation, it'd be Bookers and Pikesville and I would way okay with that as long as the well never ran dry. It would be a way easier decision than "pick only one Busse."

My tastes are different than many others in this thread (I'm not a fan of sherry or port aged whiskies, there is such a thing as "too much peat", I've never met a Macallan that I liked, etc...) but man, I can't agree more with those who mention liking Pikesville Rye. I enjoy having a variety of whisky, but I tell you, if there was a "you can choose only one bourbon and one rye" situation, it'd be Bookers and Pikesville and I would way okay with that as long as the well never ran dry. It would be a way easier decision than "pick only one Busse."
You are saying words but I do not understand them and they make no sense.

Haha everyone's tastes are different, as long as you know what you like you are good to go.

Pikesville is my favorite Rye. Well, with the exception of Whistle Pig Boss Hog IV which is my favorite American Whisky. Blows everything else out of the water including Pappy in all of it's age statements. for me

New bottle in the crib~ So after looking at it so many times and passing it over decided wth and grabbed the Dalmore12. First sips as I type this. I've kept passing on the 40% for the higher proofs but initial thoughts are, for a 40, it doesn't have that watered down finish and vanishing down wind to it that I've noticed with some others.

There's another distiller that has a good representation at this particular store that keeps intriguing me so I could use some input. Oban, they have several variations. What say Ye' oh great masters of malt? Anything there a "must have"?

I use to buy the cigar malt, but I have lost interest in Dalmore as of late. I feel that 43% should be minimum

HqPoJYA.jpg

I expect I'll have this bottle for the next 20 years. 'Cause it's the last thing on the shelf that I want to drink.

It has a smell, but it seems all muddled and I can't make out just what I'm smelling. It's not offensive like a bad bottle of wine, but not particularly pleasant either. More puzzling than interesting.

As for the taste, straight up the alcohol overpowers everything. A little ice lets the spiciness out. It's not awful, but I see no reason for this to exist in a world where you can get something as good as Sazerac or Bulleit Rye for a little over half the price.

But maybe it was just a bad barrel. Or maybe I just have bad taste.

Color's nice, though.

Revisiting and reconsidering this one. The alcohol burn is still there, but the spice is coming through more tonight (without ice). And that part is quite nice. And that's really what rye is all about, isn't it? Unfortunately, though, it has an unpleasant bitter, maybe slightly metallic aftertaste. I don't think I'd buy it again, but I like it better the second time around.

Back