Camillus and Schrade of Old Given Short Shrift Now-A-Days

Thanks for posting that info up Cal, I remember you posting it before? When I saw the UH171- now turned into a craftsman, I grabbed it because of the Sheath- and as well the Blade is very full but heavily stained.

Carrying another Old Timer today, this one an Ulster 58OT, nice size, just a bit bigger than a Penknife, but just under the Medium Stockman size - great pocket carry knife. OH
Ulster_58OT_EDC_(Roland).jpg

That’s great, Cal. Thanks for the view.
I had always wanted a 165, but all I ever saw on the ‘bay in my budget, were trashed. Rusty or badly sharpened, or both.

Then, at last year’s Badger Blade Show, I lucked out on this Craftsman. My favorite vendor there always has the first booth as you enter. Smart guy.
The knife was in the snapped sheath, but something drew me to pick it up. It doesn’t have the elephant hide sheath, but I like the heavy full grain. 9BF273FF-8348-4779-8FF9-E354B770DE31.jpeg35BD3CC1-59A2-415B-9A4A-9A99DABFA237.jpeg

I have not been shopping for knives much lately, but could not resist this Schrade Walden Electrician last week.
Duncan, Campbellclanman Campbellclanman , I thought of what you recently posted about not polishing up old knives. But I had to. Patina is one thing, but rust and corrosion, dried grease embedded with grit, and just general filth had to go.
Before:53D2D6C4-C5D7-490F-9435-2C329C380049.jpeg2D967F1B-F632-41B1-BE13-43E8C639EB62.jpegI flushed it out with degreaser, then flooded it with penetrating oil. Got everything out of the blade well, and used Brasso and elbow grease to get the corrosion off.

No idea of it’s age.
I have one SW TL-29 with brown woodgrain scales, and one Schrade with cocobolo. Interestingly, this SW has no shackle.

In my pocket today alongside the 804 that our late friend Halfstop Ron gave me over breakfast just months before he passed.6DDF6595-5B78-47D2-9A14-B7F98021B84A.jpeg24C6E1D6-DB98-4C07-B782-AA69FF2FB71C.jpeg

That’s great, Cal. Thanks for the view.
I had always wanted a 165, but all I ever saw on the ‘bay in my budget, were trashed. Rusty or badly sharpened, or both.

Then, at last year’s Badger Blade Show, I lucked out on this Craftsman. My favorite vendor there always has the first booth as you enter. Smart guy.
The knife was in the snapped sheath, but something drew me to pick it up. It doesn’t have the elephant hide sheath, but I like the heavy full grain. View attachment 2490487View attachment 2490488
If I had to pick only one fixed blade knife, it would be hard not to take the 165. Nice thick stock but still easy to keep razor sharp. Great size and shape.

This one below was my Pap's so it has sentimental value. I keep looking for one that I can use guilt free but just haven't found the right one yet.

Briefly thought about picking up a new one. I have a new sharp finger and it's fine... There is nothing wrong with the knife but it just doesn't have it. I can't quite tell you what IT is... But it don't got it! Lol.
This USA made 165 on the other hand..... Well, it's got IT!
View attachment 2490504

That's a great Whittler Cattle Cal, you certainly have some beauties.

Bruce, your OT collection is amazing!

Steve! man I love those Vintage Cammy's, the Bone is just perfect isn't it!

Jeff, lol- The way you have "Cleaned" is bang on- there is still staining etc and it looks good! You are right, at times they just need it to be rescued.

What I mean is that you will look at an oldeR Keen Kutter or some other very old Knife- and it is so so shiny - it just looks really off-putting- and there's a lot of people doing this- especially on the Bay where sellers are cleaning Knives and passing them off as excellent or Mint :(
Your craftsman would be a nice addition to the Sears Thread if you wanted? That's a Gorgeous Knife, the 165's are like you say a stunning Knife.

RickHuf RickHuf Oh my friend I agree with Jeff, I would use that Knife of your Grandfathers - what a treasure!

If I had to pick only one fixed blade knife, it would be hard not to take the 165. Nice thick stock but still easy to keep razor sharp. Great size and shape.

This one below was my Pap's so it has sentimental value. I keep looking for one that I can use guilt free but just haven't found the right one yet.

Briefly thought about picking up a new one. I have a new sharp finger and it's fine... There is nothing wrong with the knife but it just doesn't have it. I can't quite tell you what IT is... But it don't got it! Lol.
This USA made 165 on the other hand..... Well, it's got IT!
View attachment 2490504
I thought of getting a Chinese one too, but they were doing something different with the grind behind the point.
I got mine sheathless from the bay pretty cheap.
DSCF3005.JPG

Last edited:
This super-duty cattle knife is 3 1/8 inches long
Stunning!

I flushed it out with degreaser, then flooded it with penetrating oil. Got everything out of the blade well, and used Brasso and elbow grease to get the corrosion off.

No idea of it’s age.
Fantastic job, got rid of the junk, but kept the authentic vintage condition.

Bruce, your OT collection is amazing!
Thank you sir! I carried several different Old Timer's and Uncle Henry's for 18 years before their demise, then went nuts when they went out here and came back as far eastern - bought all the originals I could find. OH

Stunning!

Fantastic job, got rid of the junk, but kept the authentic vintage condition.

Thank you sir! I carried several different Old Timer's and Uncle Henry's for 18 years before their demise, then went nuts when they went out here and came back as far eastern - bought all the originals I could find. OH
Thanks, Bruce.
Similar knife history ~ bought an 293Y, and a 33 jack around ‘72 or so. All I needed.
Until much later when I decided I needed more…

Back