Camillus and Schrade of Old Given Short Shrift Now-A-Days

Wow
Your knife was made in the first half of the year 1973. That was the year they introduced this pattern, and sometime in the middle of the year they dropped the "Walden" from the tang stamps for all their knives. There are a few "transition" knives which they made in various patterns during that year (1973). Your example, with the milled liners, and probably the box with hinges, is the most desirable variation of this 897UH pattern, among collectors. Yes; do look for a stamped serial # inside the knife.
Wow thank you, this is very helpful information and much appreciated. I guess my only other question is if it’s genuine stag or staglon?

By the way, I did desire it most when I was looking at a few others 😂

Here is another recent Schrade Walden I picked up, an 804 splitback whittler (technically I think it was called a mechanics knife), factory knife (not sure what that means - does it mean it was faulty?). Seems in good condition, unused, unsharpened, was part of a store display which makes me think it was not up to standards somehow? Maybe I’m wrong. Not exactly sure of the year but I assume sometime in 1960, not sure if the handle is bone or derlin, I suspect derlin from pictures but hard to tell. Steel maybe carbon or stainless? I’m guessing 1095 carbon given lack of + or SS on tang but I’m no expert on Schrades.

(Update, it’s Derlin)

View attachment 2498831View attachment 2498832View attachment 2498833
View attachment 2498860View attachment 2498861View attachment 2498862

Last edited:
I’ve always loved the 34OT but if I would’ve stumbled upon the 897 I think this would’ve have been a favorite.

View attachment 2490908
Going back, looking at all the great knives, this time I focused on the bullets. I once owned a Winchester Model 71 and handloaded for it, great old firearm built on the Winchester M1886 action, I last hunted with mine around 2000 (at least that is the last picture I have of me with it). Do you still own and shoot yours? Nice, earlier variation of the 897UH, Schrade's version of the Case 18 pattern, I like them both. OH

Last edited:
Here is another recent Schrade Walden I picked up, an 804 splitback whittler (technically I think it was called a mechanics knife), factory knife (not sure what that means - does it mean it was faulty?). Seems in good condition, unused, unsharpened, was part of a store display which makes me think it was not up to standards somehow? Maybe I’m wrong. Not exactly sure of the year but I assume sometime in 1960, not sure if the handle is bone or derlin, I suspect derlin from pictures but hard to tell. Steel maybe carbon or stainless? I’m guessing 1095 carbon given lack of + or SS on tang but I’m no expert on Schrades.

(Update, it’s Derlin)

I love this pattern

Going back, looking at all the great knives, this time I focused on the bullets. I once owned a Winchester Model 71 and handloaded for it, great old firearm built on the Winchester M1886 action, I last hunted with mine around 2000 (at least that is the last picture I have of me with it). Do you still own and shoot yours? Nice, earlier variation of the 897UH, Schrade's version of the Case 18 pattern, I like them both. OH
Bruce, still own mine made in ‘52 if I remember correctly. It’s been years since I hunted with it but I may take it along to Idaho this year for elk and use it in a couple of timber patches I like.

I've tried several Schrade fixed blades for a deer hunters knife, this 15OT is probably more suitable for elk or moose than for whitetail. This was a pawnshop rescue that I brought back to useable condition. Sat in my hotel room one night and honed my way through a college basketball game. The shield was a gift from ORVET, a well known knife craftsman who posts on AAPK. I epoxied it in the slot - won't ever come off again! OH
Schrade_15OT_Old_Timer_(1).jpg

Schrade_15OT_Old_Timer_(2).jpg
Yes, the 15 is big. In spite of it’s name, the Deerslayer.
I’ll bet the Sharpfinger is about right for whitetail.

(Update, it’s Derlin)

Beautiful condition.

I've always thought that the 71 was the most handsome lever action rifle. I've never owned one, but I held one in a gun store once. It was the smoothest lever action rifle I've ever worked.

Your knife was made in the first half of the year 1973. That was the year they introduced this pattern, and sometime in the middle of the year they dropped the "Walden" from the tang stamps for all their knives. There are a few "transition" knives which they made in various patterns during that year (1973). Your example, with the milled liners, and probably the box with hinges, is the most desirable variation of this 897UH pattern, among collectors. Yes; do look for a stamped serial # inside the knife.
Just got delivered today, it's not the hinged box, just the regular box, is in excellent condition though other than clip blade favoring the side just a little which I can probably adjust a bit.

Back