Carothers and Guns

I'll be busy tinkering:

N3cv5TO.jpg
Congrats Mat! That’s a Badmotherfucker!
:thumbsup::cool:

Almost getting there:

F7BE3C81-4009-452D-BE8F-004B628B1AC7.jpeg

Added the Blue Force Gear sling, a decent cheek pad with insert risers by Tourbon (didn't wanna drill my stock for the fancier kydex varieties), got my Burris scout scope in today and chose QD rings for it instead of the screw in types. Surprised that the scope didn't come with any lens covers but I'll go with the Vortex flip ups anyway. Then some bits and pieces, tools from Sadlak Industries and then done & done!

At first, I was kinda bummed that I didn't go *AR platform for my first rifle but after just spending time with this M1A, absorbing as much as I can online and reading the manual, I have come to really appreciate the marvel of this tried and tested albeit old design based on the Garand and then the M14. Granted that the Springfield Armory M1A is probably like a the Fallkniven or dare I say the BRKT of the M1As (the cast receivers vs the forged ones argument) but I could not afford the CPKs of this model in good conscious (I'll buy almost anything from Nathan & Jo, but that is because they Arte Nathan & Jo!... But I will draw the line at a frakking neck knife, LOL :D). Sadly, it will be a while before I can zero anything on this rifle but at least I own one :p

ETA *AR platforms: the Cali ones are very much neutered and do not merit the price IMHO which we will have to pay and then living with 2 more steps in the mag change process all with the limited mag capacity of 10 rds for the .223 Rem / 5.56 NATO round!

Almost getting there:

View attachment 1366042

Added the Blue Force Gear sling, a decent cheek pad with insert risers by Tourbon (didn't wanna drill my stock for the fancier kydex varieties), got my Burris scout scope in today and chose QD rings for it instead of the screw in types. Surprised that the scope didn't come with any lens covers but I'll go with the Vortex flip ups anyway. Then some bits and pieces, tools from Sadlak Industries and then done & done!

At first, I was kinda bummed that I didn't go *AR platform for my first rifle but after just spending time with this M1A, absorbing as much as I can online and reading the manual, I have come to really appreciate the marvel of this tried and tested albeit old design based on the Garand and then the M14. Granted that the Springfield Armory M1A is probably like a the Fallkniven or dare I say the BRKT of the M1As (the cast receivers vs the forged ones argument) but I could not afford the CPKs of this model in good conscious (I'll buy almost anything from Nathan & Jo, but that is because they Arte Nathan & Jo!... But I will draw the line at a frakking neck knife, LOL :D). Sadly, it will be a while before I can zero anything on this rifle but at least I own one :p

ETA *AR platforms: the Cali ones are very much neutered and do not merit the price IMHO which we will have to pay and then living with 2 more steps in the mag change process all with the limited mag capacity of 10 rds for the .223 Rem / 5.56 NATO round!
I am very jelly.

View attachment 1366126
The people’s republic of... Maryland ;(

Hmm! The individual state (gun) laws are all very interesting, I'll say that much. As you know I am in CA which has one of the most restrictive regulations, yet the M1A variants are legal as long as they don't have flash suppressors or any suppressors. That said, these can be more lethal in the wrong hands as opposed to most CA compliant ARs.

I could have easily gone with the Tikka T3 CTR too but couldn't find one at a decent price. I wonder if that one is also prohibited in MD? Bolt action ones are more accurate anyway than the semi types and I think that the Tikka T3 can be set up as a sub MOA rifle.

Last edited:
Hmm! The individual state (gun) laws are all very interesting, I'll say that much. As you know I am in CA which has one of the most restrictive regulations, yet the M1A variants are legal as long as they don't have flash suppressors or any suppressors. That said, these can be more lethal in the wrong hands as opposed to most CA compliant ARs.

I could have easily gone with the Tikka T3 CTR too but couldn't find one at a decent price. I wonder if that one is also prohibited in MD? Bolt action ones are more accurate anyway than the semi types and I think that the Tikka T3 can be set up as a sub MOA rifle.

Bolt actions aren’t banned in MD.
If it was simply throwing 308 down range, of which my most reasonable range is indoor 25 yards, my brother has a bolt action in 308 and a Scar heavy.
Think about that. They banned the M1A and not the Scar.

Bolt actions aren’t banned in MD.
If it was simply throwing 308 down range, of which my most reasonable range is indoor 25 yards, my brother has a bolt action in 308 and a Scar heavy.
Think about that. They banned the M1A and not the Scar.

The people that want to ban guns probably would have no idea what a SCAR is. And if we're being honest may be the only reason for that.

Haha, I've only done sporting clays in the woods before. Are those your stations staggered up along that pic throughout the desert there?

Haha, I've only done sporting clays in the woods before. Are those your stations staggered up along that pic throughout the desert there?

Ya there's 12 to 13 stations they scatter up the hill to the right. There is a bit of foliage and some scattered trees but its pretty much wide open desert with light brush. I can post more pictures when I get home, if it helps. Great course and cool rod & gun club.

It makes for a fun day, shooting in the trees must be harder i imagine with the branches. I'd love to try it though, I'm sunburned from the sun so the shade would be nice haha.

Back