Carothers and Guns

sorry to ruin the flow, but if anyone would care to educate me some on hunting rifles, I'd appreciate it

Not to belittle a genuine question, but that like saying, "please educate me about knives"

Can you steer us in a little more here? Woods or field, smaller or larger game, distances you may try to reach, etc? Give is a few basic parameters.

sorry to ruin the flow, but if anyone would care to educate me some on hunting rifles, I'd appreciate it

Oh this one is easy. Buy a 20-year-old Remington 700 chambered in .270 or similar, install a Leopold scope or similar, zero it out at 100 yard with ammunition you intend to use and bag a bunch of deer.

If there are grizzlies where you will be hunting, consider a 300 win Mag

... Easy peasy...

Can definitely try to help out with some more information. What uses are in your plans? What type animals and ranges? Do you plan on mounting a scope or prefer open sights?

Nathan hit one of my favorite cartridges in the .270 for most anything up to elk.

Oh this one is easy. Buy a 20-year-old Remington 700 chambered in .270 or similar, install a Leopold scope or similar, zero it out at 100 yard with ammunition you intend to use and bag a bunch of deer.

If there are grizzlies where you will be hunting, consider a 300 win Mag

... Easy peasy...

The cheapest long range target rifle I ever put together was an old rem 700. We chambered it in .260 rem, nice barrel, did the bedding etc. It was competitive at 1000 yards, for under $1000.

ETA: this is a nice memory. My friend and I assembled the rifle on a Friday night (getting ready for a Saturday morning competition) and only had time to fire one shot at 100 yards. We adjusted the scope to the point of impact and went home hoping for the best. The next day, I could only hope to be somewhere on the target and adjust from there. Amazingly, the very first shot which was at 1000 yards, was a v-bull. We claimed there was no luck in this and it was a clear sign of our expertise.

Last edited:
The cheapest long range target rifle I ever put together was an old rem 700. We chambered it in .260 rem, nice barrel, did the bedding etc. It was competitive at 1000 yards, for under $1000.

ETA: this is a nice memory. My friend and I assembled the rifle on a Friday night (getting ready for a Saturday morning competition) and only had time to fire one shot at 100 yards. We adjusted the scope to the point of impact and went home hoping for the best. The next day, I could only hope to be somewhere on the target and adjust from there. Amazingly, the very first shot which was at 1000 yards, was a v-bull. We claimed there was no luck in this and it was a clear sign of our expertise.

I've got a savage in .260 rem. Not the prettiest gun, but it can shoot.

well, around here, the forest is thick and the topography is the opposite of flat. The deer are pretty tiny. I think what I'd want is a fairly small rifle that would be easy to carry around off trail. I'm not sure what kind of range, but any more than 1/2 km here and I think it would be hard to find the kill, with all the hills and valleys and such

Lorien, I’m not a hunter because of my current situation and place of habitat. Additionally I have very little expertise (let's just say none!) to give you a definitive response but I was at the stage where you seem to be about a year or so ago, so here are what I would do if in your shoes:

Bolt action hunting rifle in .270 Winchester paired with a good scope which does not cost an arm and a leg, yet not a piece of crap either. For a budget friendly ensemble, Nathan gave you a very good lead. For brand new or let's say contemporary built albeit slightly used, I'd go with a Tikka and SS barrel.

If you want something which can also act as self-D typa rifle in a more brushy environment where taking looong shots may be useless and perhaps inhumane in hunters' lingo, consider a lever action rifle chambered in 30-30. For more budget friendly types, maybe a good Marlin (I forgot which years are bad or suspect!). Henry Repeating Arms makes a very nice looking one in SS but I'm not all that convinced about Henry's.

If & when grizzlies are the major concern, I would not look below 30-06 for the bolt action or 45-70 for the lever action but since you said that the deer in your area are on the smaller sizes, I'd go with ta bolt action in .270 plus a 10mm pistol side arm.

well, around here, the forest is thick and the topography is the opposite of flat. The deer are pretty tiny. I think what I'd want is a fairly small rifle that would be easy to carry around off trail. I'm not sure what kind of range, but any more than 1/2 km here and I think it would be hard to find the kill, with all the hills and valleys and such
Lorien,

Another thing to consider:
I'm not familiar with the situation in Canada, but it might be a good idea to look into ammo availability in the various calibers.

Here in the US, 30-06 is one of the most widely available rifle calibers (available at just about every place that sells rifle ammo), and one of the ones that hasn't really disappeared even during buying panics and shortages.

.308 is another very common caliber here, but is a little more subject to shortages and price hikes due to panic buying because .308/7.62x51 is a 'military' caliber that's also used in a lot of semi-autos (the owners of which are more likely to stock up on ammo in the 1000s of rounds, vs 30-06 in bolt actions, where there are far fewer owners who buy huge quantities and can potentially empty store shelves).

Either do a little Google searching, or talking to LGSs and you'll get a better idea of rifle calibers that are easily/commonly available and don't see huge fluctuations in price/availability.

Just like you mention to folks about going to the LBS for their bikes, I would recommend going to you local gun shop and asking what is popular in the area for what you want to do and why. Also, it will give you a chance to handle a few different options as well as seeing what they have on hand as I don’t see you getting into reloading, so you will buying factory ammo from them, at least in a pinch, I’d you don’t find a supplier on line. So you will want to know what calibers they always have in stock.

That said, Nathan’s suggestion isn’t wrong at all. The .270 is capable for handling anything you may encounter. Would it be the best for the big bears, no, but I promise you won’t find a bear that will take a .270 to the face and like it.

Personally, with what you are describing as short range in thicker cover, I would consider a short action bolt rifle with a fixed 4X or a variable in the 1x - 6x range. .308 Win will likely be available at your LGS. The .260 Rem like Richard mentioned and the 7mm-08 Rem would both be excellent as well, but the ammo availability locally may be limited when compared to the other options mentioned.

Like bikes, any of the big name manufactures will get the job done for you, just find one you like and learn to shoot it well.

Lorien, I’m not a hunter because of my current situation and place of habitat. Additionally I have very little expertise (let's just say none!) to give you a definitive response but I was at the stage where you seem to be about a year or so ago, so here are what I would do if in your shoes:

Bolt action hunting rifle in .270 Winchester paired with a good scope which does not cost an arm and a leg, yet not a piece of crap either. For a budget friendly ensemble, Nathan gave you a very good lead. For brand new or let's say contemporary built albeit slightly used, I'd go with a Tikka and SS barrel.

If you want something which can also act as self-D typa rifle in a more brushy environment where taking looong shots may be useless and perhaps inhumane in hunters' lingo, consider a lever action rifle chambered in 30-30. For more budget friendly types, maybe a good Marlin (I forgot which years are bad or suspect!). Henry Repeating Arms makes a very nice looking one in SS but I'm not all that convinced about Henry's.

If & when grizzlies are the major concern, I would not look below 30-06 for the bolt action or 45-70 for the lever action but since you said that the deer in your area are on the smaller sizes, I'd go with ta bolt action in .270 plus a 10mm pistol side arm.

Shuddup, men are talking.......

Eventually you'll want something that shoots these.
(actually mine was built by a Canadian company)
Ea0fvVY.jpg

Eventually you'll want something that shoots these.
(actually mine was built by a Canadian company)
Ea0fvVY.jpg
Nice! Those A-max's are great, but I'm still not sure if they do more damage to the target or the wallet on a range trip :p

I suppose it's a good thing most folks won't be (can't handle) going through 100s of rds per session like they might with 5.56.

The .270 is a great all around caliber that will cover most hunting needs in north America excluding maybe moose and grizzly bear. Another really nice cartridge for the conditions you describes would be a .243 ... very flat shooting a bit less expensive to shoot and a great round for deer sized game. An older Remington 700 is a great choice as an older Winchester model 70 would be. Tikka rifles I find are pretty accurate I've never had an issue with them but they come with polymer magazines. I have a Remington model seven in .243 that is a great mountain gun. A smaller rifle it's lightweight and has iron sights if I am not going to be taking long shots saves a bit of weight without the scope ... it has taken several deer and antelope.

Nice! Those A-max's are great, but I'm still not sure if they do more damage to the target or the wallet on a range trip :p

I suppose it's a good thing most folks won't be (can't handle) going through 100s of rds per session like they might with 5.56.

Yeah, those are a bit pricey. I had some API for target damage...
Usually I hand load to save money and for precision, but I'm not set up for BMG. I've gone through 100 rds of 338LM in a day before.

Back