Carothers and Guns

is there like a big debate between bolt action or lever action being better? Or is it just a seat for every ass type thing?

is there like a big debate between bolt action or lever action being better? Or is it just a seat for every ass type thing?
Reloading a bolt action while staying on target in a stationary position is easier, but if you’re on foot, I’d go with a lever action because your reload hand doesn’t have to reposition to the trigger area after each shot.

Lorien, you may wanna talk to Andy never.truly.lost never.truly.lost who also hails from your own neck of the woods. IIRC, his had posted a few pics in here with a rifle which was a lever action Marlin 336 (Dark Series) chambered in .30-30 Winchester and a scout scope set up.

ETA:

Found it! Correction as that's not a scout scope set up but the picatinny rail is long enough to also mount a scout type scope.

04620d95-184b-4789-833e-093cbe311f23-jpeg.1257974

couple guys I know carry guns professionally, and probably have lots of guns between them I can try out. I was invited to go shooting by another guy who trains dogs for you know what and is a full on gun nut. It's amazing how worlds open up when the mind fixes its gaze on something

just found out I can take the safety course I need for my license 5km from my house, and the missus, (1st Nations therefore no need for hunting license!) is interested too!

winning!

couple guys I know carry guns professionally, and probably have lots of guns between them I can try out. I was invited to go shooting by another guy who trains dogs for you know what and is a full on gun nut. It's amazing how worlds open up when the mind fixes its gaze on something

just found out I can take the safety course I need for my license 5km from my house, and the missus, (1st Nations therefore no need for hunting license!) is interested too!

winning!
Awesome brother, those guys will steer you straight for what you need for your area. Have fun and get out there and make some meat this fall. I expect to see pictures of the Knolly hauling hindquarters in the coming months.

100 rounds of 338 would consume a lot of powder.

I ran into issues with throat erosion on my 7mag in less than a thousand rounds. Do you see issues with longevity on a rifle with those kinds of chamber pressures with those kinds of quantities?

got an ebike and a trailer already:thumbsup:

I'm leaning toward bolt action; seems to me that the reloading mechanism requires the use of less physical space to operate, and I understand the significance of maintaining position could contribute to accuracy for someone new to shooting

100 rounds of 338 would consume a lot of powder.

I ran into issues with throat erosion on my 7mag in less than a thousand rounds. Do you see issues with longevity on a rifle with those kinds of chamber pressures with those kinds of quantities?
My favorite load is 92 gr of H1000 behind a 300 gr Lapua match bullet, which is fairly hot and pushes around 2850 fps. I am at about 2500 rounds and just about to rebarrel. Accuracy is still pretty good. It doesn't erode too fast. I measure it every couple hundred rounds and adjust my loads for length.

My favorite load is 92 gr of H1000 behind a 300 gr Lapua match bullet, which is fairly hot and pushes around 2850 fps. I am at about 2500 rounds and just about to rebarrel. Accuracy is still pretty good. It doesn't erode too fast. I measure it every couple hundred rounds and adjust my loads for length.
Had a .338 Lapua in the early ‘90s. Decided it wasn’t big enough, why wouldn’t they use the whole damn case I said, I’m like that. Took a full length Rigby case, blew it out to a minimal body taper and a 45 degree shoulder with a .350 neck. Haven’t used it in several years, but I recall the load for elk being a 250 gr Partition with 108 grains of Hodgden 50BMG. It is an elk crusher.

Had a .338 Lapua in the early ‘90s. Decided it wasn’t big enough, why wouldn’t they use the whole damn case I said, I’m like that. Took a full length Rigby case, blew it out to a minimal body taper and a 45 degree shoulder with a .350 neck. Haven’t used it in several years, but I recall the load for elk being a 250 gr Partition with 108 grains of Hodgden 50BMG. It is an elk crusher.
Yeah, developing wildcats is cool especially if you are pursuing a theory.

After loading for .260 rem, 338 seems like a lot of powder. My friend was loading 50 BMG with up to at least 225 gr of powder which looks pretty ridiculous.

Also a 308/30-06 would last thousands of rounds. They are pretty boring rounds but effective and a lot of variety for weight not to mention available everywhere
the 30-6 might be a little more than I think I'd need, but I've fired one before and have an idea of what it's like and appreciate the ubiquitous availability of ammunition. Boring and effective is all I want

I'm liking the looks of Tikka T3x Lite in 30-06

The Tikka is a nice rifle and a 30-06 would cover anything you might run into up there.
the 30-6 might be a little more than I think I'd need, but I've fired one before and have an idea of what it's like and appreciate the ubiquitous availability of ammunition. Boring and effective is all I want

A 30-06 will cover anything you might run into with maybe the exception of big brown bears ... and it will handle those if the right bullets are used and shooter does their part in a pinch.

It's a flat shooting round and one that's usually easier to find and not as costly as some calibers ... you can use lighter loads for deer and get excellent results. As long as you're comfortable shooting it it will serve you well.

I love lever actions but if I were to have one rifle it would definitely be a bolt action.

Back