Combatchet Proto WIP

Alright,I trimmed some fat off the design as you can see.
After talking with Ryan @ RMJ Tactical about what's important in a axe/hatchet design,I'm looking for breaching function only.
I did leave the seat belt/paracord cutter function on underside of sheath & removable belt loop.For the time being.
Played with molle setup,These are small molle locks.
The design is still compact,That is my design goal to keep it smaller than a axe length.The design can be lengthened.

Attachments

• Combatchet Fixed Design Final Draft 010.jpg
    Combatchet Fixed Design Final Draft 010.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 35
Suggestion that the handle have a little more curvature to facilitate removing spike.Tapered handle slightly.:D

Attachments

• Combatchet Fixed Design Final Draft 011.jpg
    Combatchet Fixed Design Final Draft 011.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 24
wow this thing is evolving all over the place. Have you made a model out of cheap steel recently to check the ergonomics & functionality? It sure looks great!

fishface5,Thanks.I'm checking on 4140 & S-7.My two steel choices for this design.I'll make a sample with some 1095 I have in the shop.:D

Extended kydex to support molle lock on spike side,Moved molle locks out for draw access.

Attachments

• Combatchet Fixed Design Final Draft 012.jpg
    Combatchet Fixed Design Final Draft 012.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 24
I deleted the seat belt/paracord cutter,I feel the beard edge will not stay sharp enough for adequate function.4140 or S-7 are not known for their edgeholding ability.

Added some hook to the beard point.

Attachments

• Combatchet Fixed Design Final Draft 018.jpg
    Combatchet Fixed Design Final Draft 018.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 18
If it were me, I'd pull those molle locks in....depending on the length, it looks like your average soldier might run out of molle connections with them that far apart (have you tried attaching them to a vest?. Also, drawing shouldn't be affected by the molle locks, as they should lock up behind the sheath. Simple webbing straps with snaps might make this design easier on you. Just some ideas. Run with what you think works, and discard anything you think doesn't

If it were me, I'd pull those molle locks in....depending on the length, it looks like your average soldier might run out of molle connections with them that far apart (have you tried attaching them to a vest?. Also, drawing shouldn't be affected by the molle locks, as they should lock up behind the sheath. Simple webbing straps with snaps might make this design easier on you. Just some ideas. Run with what you think works, and discard anything you think doesn't

MJF,I see your point on molle locations.
Snaps tend to snag in certain situations.I'm looking for the most secure methods for carry on vest.

I'll play with molle more in the center of sheath.Thanks for the input.:thumbup:

MJF,I took your suggestion on the molle lock locations.I decided to incorporate a single lock configuration.Thanks again for your input.:thumbup:

Frank,Thanks for your help.:D

Attachments

• Combatchet Fixed Design Final Draft 019.jpg
    Combatchet Fixed Design Final Draft 019.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 15
I thought to incorporate some paracord wrapping grip to the handle.

Attachments

• Combatchet Fixed Design Final Draft 022.jpg
    Combatchet Fixed Design Final Draft 022.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 12
Tweaked the top head profile,Thin the head slightly

Attachments

• Combatchet Fixed Design Final Draft 023.jpg
    Combatchet Fixed Design Final Draft 023.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 9
I made the quick release straps removable for left & right hand carry & access configurations.

Attachments

• Combatchet Fixed Design Final Draft 025.jpg
    Combatchet Fixed Design Final Draft 025.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 16
Why not just have the hatchet drop into the top of the sheath? It seems it would be just as fast to extract it out the top as it would be to mess with 2 straps to try to get it out the bottom.

Also, has this gotten away from being a combo tool? I don't see any wire cutter or pry bar or hammer head. I'm not criticizing mind you, just wondering. I do like the design. It has been cool watching the metamorphosis.

Paul

Paul,I know some hawks are drawn from the top.To me,If drawn from the vest you would go through a larger motion to remove it. I hope that makes sense.Yes,I trimmed the design for breaching function only.Thanks for your input.:D

Back