CPK EDC2

97477bc8f5ac6fffc198b441aec93fb7.jpg

mwramos76 mwramos76 I'm sure Nate will comment and clarify, but here's my take on it - take it with a grain (bucket) of salt.
The reason that the secondary bevel/edge looks like it's sharpened uneven is because Nate leaves more 'meat' towards the tip on the primary grind so that'll be stronger. That makes it a bit thicker, so, when you sharpen the edge at the same angle (18 degrees for the EDC) it looks like the edge/primary bevel is wider towards the tip. Also, there's the fact that the primary grind is 'raised' towards the tip of the knife...
Oh, another thing, that's exactly how all my CPKs look like, so I wouldn't worry about that being a flaw. That's the feature ;)

As I said, I'm sure Nate will comment and clarify. Cheers!

EtA: Maybe I should've just copy/paste the first post in the pre-order for the EDC, not sure you've read it. Here's an excerpt from it, in Nate's words:

This steel with this heat treat will support a fine edge, so this was taken down to .015" before sharpening (though I'm leaving some additional meat in the tip) and it was sharpened 18 degrees per side. This is relatively acute and it cuts very well, but is durable. They're also lightly hand ground after machining to give it a slight convex grind.

Also, here's one of the stock photos from the same post. It's easy to notice that the bevel/edge looks the same as yours...

4.jpg~original

Last edited:
That's exactly how mine looks and I believe it is just as C CataD describes. The key is that it looks the same in each side and indicates the edge is uniformly beveled on each side.

My unsolicited, uncompensated, barely educated, for what it's worth opinion... your knife is just like it's supposed to be.

That makes sense. I was kinda figuring that it was ok and actually part of the update that is edc 2. I even went through all the pics I could find of the edc 2 and I saw many that looked like mine. Thanks so much for the info fellas. Nate i truly hope I didn’t offend. I really do love the knife and look forward to many years of use

You see the way it is wider at the tip? I honestly think it looks kinda cool but was not sure if it would cause an issue when it comes to resharpening?

c7a28f51769b7d341cd462cab39f42cb.jpg

We leave extra meat in the tip because that is a weak spot where knives tend to break. We incorporate this thicker point geometry on most of our knives, it's a distinguishing characteristic of a CPK knife and I try to mention it on most of the sale threads. What you're seeing as a "rather uneven grind" is simply the thicker point. We have evolved beyond a consistent edge thickness across the entire blade and intentionally incorporate somewhat different geometry in different areas. It's supposed to be like that. We do that on purpose. That is not a defect or a flaw.

We leave extra meat in the tip because that is a weak spot where knives tend to break. We incorporate this thicker point geometry on most of our knives, it's a distinguishing characteristic of a CPK knife and I try to mention it on most of the sale threads. What you're seeing as a "rather uneven grind" is simply the thicker point. We have evolved beyond a consistent edge thickness across the entire blade and intentionally incorporate somewhat different geometry in different areas. It's supposed to be like that. We do that on purpose. That is not a defect or a flaw.

That’s awesome. And again I apologize if I offended. I’m really loving this knife. Sliced up my daughters tomatoes and grapes for lunch so so smoothly this morning. Thanks again for the info.

...and I know where you live....

edit to add: seriously... a couple days ago I filled a box with steel fines cleaning out a mill and I told Mark "we ought to mail this to Matty"...

LOL :D

I'm not worried about you knowing where I live. I'm more worried about the CPKs on order and future orders which you can get up to some unimaginable shenanigans. So, I shall capitulate now :D

So, my EDC2's finally arrived, and they are amazing. They are everything I could ever want out of an EDC sized fixed blade. I am extremely happy with the blades themselves.

However, I am less than impressed with the kydex sheaths. The fit and finish is rough to say the least and there isn't a good way to draw the knife. There is no thumb ramp/hump to push off of, and there are sharp edges and corners all over them. The belt loop's beveled edge is even sharp and would eat up a leather belt in no time. I honestly expected the sheaths to be a lot better than this. The sheaths on the field knives are far superior.

How does everyone else feel about the kydex sheaths?

Anyone tried the EDC2 in the KSF allegheny pocket sheath? I like that I can carry it completely out of sight. People in the office already are nervous with the benchmade 940

So, my EDC2's finally arrived, and they are amazing. They are everything I could ever want out of an EDC sized fixed blade. I am extremely happy with the blades themselves.

However, I am less than impressed with the kydex sheaths. The fit and finish is rough to say the least and there isn't a good way to draw the knife. There is no thumb ramp/hump to push off of, and there are sharp edges and corners all over them. The belt loop's beveled edge is even sharp and would eat up a leather belt in no time. I honestly expected the sheaths to be a lot better than this. The sheaths on the field knives are far superior.

How does everyone else feel about the kydex sheaths?
I like the Vertical Kydex sheaths supplied, Not a fan of the Horizontal though! Regardless i find any Sheath offered for what Nathan Charges for his knives just "Icing on the Cake":p

Last edited:
xxxI like the Vertical Kydex sheaths supplied, Not a fan of the Horizontal though! Regardless i find any Sheath offered for what Nathan Charges for his knives just "Icing on the Cake":p

I'm pretty sure EDC sheaths are made by Dozier...
I don't remember who the maker for the field knife sheath was, but don't think they're made by Eric either.
The HDFK sheaths are made by Eric; they're awesome!

Cheers,
C.
Post edited, no longer relevant in the original form ;)

Last edited:
^^^No the edc sheaths were made by dozier the HDFK by Eric, MY BAD, I do not know who made the FK sheaths! Apparently too many beers and the little lady pestering me -Sorry:p I will edit-Thanks CataD

^^^No the edc sheaths were made by dozier the HDFK by Eric, MY BAD, I do not know who made the FK sheaths! Apparently too many beers and the little lady pestering me -Sorry:p I will edit-Thanks CataD
How do you like the Unbuffed edgecut Antique? I have been tempted to try it.

EDC2's dropped the other day. Samples in edgecut antique, buffed and unbuffed variety. Hadn't had any time to put them to work yet, but I am very pleased. I know these tools will serve me well. Thanks to the CPK team for cranking out so many great patterns :thumbsup:
View attachment 890720

Those are so nice, and I like how subtle the unbuffed came out. They'll just continue to get better looking with use. Good thinking grabbing one of each finish!

Back