CPK EDC2

This is the antique micarta:

19.jpg~original

You can request solid dark brown or you can request lighter higher contrast and we'll try to match scales to requests.

It will all turn to a dark brown after a few years exposure to light and oxygen, the contrast won't be permanent over extended time.
That looks great... are you saying the antique micarta will eventually turn into a non contrasting dark brown tone over time?

Last edited:
That looks great... are you saying the antique micarta will eventually turn into a non contrasting dark brown tone over time?

Areas where oxygen hasn't seeped in to darken the phenolic resin are a lighter color after shaping the scales. Those light areas will eventfully darken and the scale will be a more solid dark brown and look like most of the knives in that picture. It doesn't turn into a completely monotone color because it is micarta and the canvas looks different than the phenolic <--- that doesn't change.

Areas where oxygen hasn't seeped in to darken the phenolic resin are a lighter color after shaping the scales. Those light areas will eventfully darken and the scale will be a more solid dark brown and look like most of the knives in that picture. It doesn't turn into a completely monotone color because it is micarta and the canvas looks different than the phenolic <--- that doesn't change.
Nothing wrong with that....Those handles look great!

Is it possible to order a second set of scales on the preorder? Without a second knife? Just curious.

Hi Joe,
In the photo Nathan posted, is that the end cut micarta, or liners on the EDC's in the background ?

Jo may be busy, so I'll try and answer for her. The two knives in the foreground of the image Nathan posted are edgecut antique micarta. That's the stuff everyone wants. When it comes to the liners, Nathan uses black micarta liners to separate the antique micarta material from the tang. The liners are the same material whether on either model.

Nathan stated in the preorder post, actually in bold as well, that half of what he made would go for Friday sales. The only way I see the preorder going down is if people on the preorder list score from the Friday sale. Handle choices for Friday sales I imagine probably will not include the antique micarta since that is a limited item and I can't see Nathan taking scales from someone on the list to give them to someone in a Friday sale.

Only 84 HDFKs were sold on the preorder list if I counted correctly. If we see those by the end of Sept., that would be 5 months from list inception to knives in the customers' hands. Of course Blade was in there as well, but I still think he is going to be busy for quite awhile yet.

Yes, Nathan's 1/2 for preorder & 1/2 for Fridays' sales statement was duly noted from his OP. He's also been very gracious for letting the preorder list to run beyond where he originally estimated to accommodate for the rush of demand (IIRC, he was originally planning on 40 units for the HDFK but let it run over by almost 100%).

One word of caution: I do not think that all those on the HDFK preorder list will be receiving their orders by the end of this Sept. In fact Nathan did mention that folks will see knives being offered for the regular sales while they'd be still waiting for their preorder fulfillment. I don't have the time right now to find Nathan's post from the recent past (just before Jo's Blade Sport competition in PA) where he had mentioned that a new tweak to the D3V HT did not work out to his satisfaction and therefore things had fallen behind a bit. Edited per Jo: took 80 units to PHT when she drove up to PA.

IMHO, if preorders are completely fulfilled within 9 months of when the books close till the last man gets his knife, that's one pretty darn awesome going for a smaller operation semi-custom maker taking on a huge number of units amidst everything else that you had also referred to.

Last edited:
Yes, Nathan's 1/2 for preorder & 1/2 for Fridays' sales statement was duly noted from his OP. He's also been very gracious for letting the preorder list to run beyond where he originally estimated to accommodate for the rush of demand (IIRC, he was originally planning on 40 units for the HDFK but let it run over by almost 100%).

One word of caution: I do not think that all those on the HDFK preorder list will be receiving their orders by the end of this Sept. In fact Nathan did mention that folks will see knives being offered for the regular sales while they'd be still waiting for their preorder fulfillment. I don't have the time right now to find Nathan's post from the recent past (just before Jo's Blade Sport competition in PA) where he had mentioned that a new tweak to the D3V HT did not work out to his satisfaction and therefore things had fallen behind a bit. I think Jo took about 25 units (or was it 40? I forgot) to PHT when she drove up to PA.

IMHO, if preorders are completely fulfilled within 9 months of when the books close till the last man gets his knife, that's one pretty darn awesome going for a smaller operation semi-custom maker taking on a huge number of units amidst everything else that you had also referred to.

I took 80 up to Peter's... :)

I got an answer from another confused member, but want to be sure...Is edge cut where there are cuts in the micarta handles for grip, rather than an all smooth surface? Also members have asked for buffed...does this mean glossy or a roughed up grippier finish?....Its great to see these custom options, but want to be sure I know what I might be missing

Last edited:
Edge cut refers to the orientation of the cut made in the micarta before its machined. Edge cut shows these layers perpendicular to the tang. The groves are always present and are machined in.

Buffed means polished, unbuffed is raw from the machine and definitely more grippy.

Please correct me in case I am wrong, but I don't recall having seen that antique micarta not ever being buffed to some degree!

Please correct me in case I am wrong, but I don't recall having seen that antique micarta not ever being buffed to some degree!

I have a field knife that's totally unbuffed, except for use. But I'm a little weird like that... :)

I'm thinking the only unbuffed I have seen have been the non-edgecut antique micarta, which makes much more sense than unbuffed edgecut antique micarta. I wonder, ni1s, is your field knife edgecut or standard cut? There are standard cut ones out there, you know.

Gotta see pics, pics, pics!!

Then it totally makes sense. No one is going to order edgecut unbuffed, the look gets destroyed. But standard cut unbuffed gives you a great piece of historical micarta, albeit without the fancy look of edgecut, but with an unbuffed handle you yourself feel more comfortable working with.

Back