CPK Survival Knife

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just remember that Leprechaun is pronounced something akin to Leprekahn. I'm just saying ;)

Thanks for showing us the sketch Lorien!
I took off Friday for a long motorcycle ride and just got back home, so I didn't see this until now.
I do appreciate it.

Ask, and ye shall receive;

Hopefully the mockup comes out good... that drawing looks like a winner.

pretty much got it profiled but forgot it at work, new info next week

Looking saweeeeet!!!
I can think of some BC forests that this would serve mighty fine in. :thumbup:

...I suspect the word "coil" to be, in it's earlier forms, the initial derivative. Webster attributes first use to 1567, though made famous in Shakespeare's "Hamlet" in 1602. If you've seen some royal cutlery or knives from the 16th and 17th centuries, some would have elaborate, delicate metalwork at the area we refer to as the choil. Imagine a choil that is simple and rounded, then add an inch of scrolled metal (part of the actual blade) heading around or within the choil area, or pointing downward, with circular twist/flat plain, eminating from the blade edge at the front of the choil. The patterns of that little piece of metal were often semi-circular. The definition of coil - "to wind into rings or spirals". Could be that for lack of a better word, blacksmiths started calling this area the coil, later changed to choil, perhaps, but retaining the same pronunciation. It certainly wouldn't have been a common usage word. But with diction(ary) evolution, pronunciation changed, unsilencing the h.

You know, it kinda adds up when you think about it. But the last thing I am is an etymologist...

Interesting.

This is the first time I have encountered this particular theory of the term's history. I admit to pronouncing the "ch" in discussion with non-knife folk, though I am always hesitant about it and often offer "c'oil" as well. As to the etymology of the term, it was originally explained to me as it is in this book from the late 19th century:

https://books.google.com/books?id=g...EINTAE#v=onepage&q=history choil file&f=false

If the link doesn't work, here is what is typed:

Choil History.jpg

Evidently the cutlers in Sheffield used the term "choil" as a verb specifically referring to filing-work done right at the junction of cutting-edge and tang. What may be of most interest to you is that the authors (separate authors) both write "choil" phonetically, i.e. they heard the term spoken as opposed to seeing it written, which argues for the pronunciation of the "ch-". *shrug*

8xyxct2OlZFFdWSgk_bJ2S-PiKi2yEnzm3hZsA-N9niDgeAS6QkfyWwF_jLFfl2_zfyRQmIhhxFIMQ=w1920-h1200-no

My apologies for how off-topic that was :p

Last edited:
We'll probably never know the root origin, but to have found 1889 text referencing the word does, indeed, lend credence to pronunciation with a non-silent h. Great find, that old article.

the aluminum mockup is nearing completion...

a little more tweaking before moving on to the scales, but everything looks like it's going to work.

This'll be fullerless? That can be a word, right? :D

Looks like a very versatile size.

I am liking it !!!! Can you give us approx dimensions on blade and overall length .

Looking good! Any chance it'll have a swedge?

I doubt it very highly because SK is abbreviated for Survival Knife so having a swedge may not lend itself too well to its ability to be very safe under heavy batoning in a possible survival situation! It would look cool though!

I doubt it very highly because SK is abbreviated for Survival Knife so having a swedge may not lend itself too well to its ability to be very safe under heavy batoning in a possible survival situation! It would look cool though!

That's true - the spine near the handle would still be thick enough but you'd probably end up chopping through your baton when you needed to hit the tip a lot. Still hoping but it's looking great either way!

there will be a fuller if the material is thick enough for that to make sense. There won't be a swedge, for the reasons already given.
the finger choil is the one part which hasn't been finished yet- removing material slowly there as i want to minimize the size and maximize its versatility.

there will be a fuller if the material is thick enough for that to make sense.

Do you mean it will need a run in ProE/ first?

Just curious as I thought you had already indicated where the tang is going to be skeletonized so I figured no fuller.

I'm mostly wondering how the thought process works for you and which parts Nathan finalizes like weight distribution and balance.

Awesome work though, thanks for sharing this stage with us.

the odds are good that we'll prototype this before going to production. Kinda makes sense for a survival knife... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back