• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Custom Benchmade Scales

What would you say the traction on the G10 scales for the 940 compares best with? Is it like an aggressive Emerson style, or a medium traction factory PM2/ZT0562 G10? Or a smoother Hogue "G-Mascus"?

The peel ply 940 set is the coarse peel ply, so it's about as aggressive as it gets. Definitely coarser than the PM2. I would say based on pictures alone, it's very much like this Emerson: http://www.knifeart.com/superroadhouse.html

Hey Ryan - Just happened to stumble on your page a moment ago and looked through all your pictures and posts and you def make some sick scales boy. Have been researching for a new higher end edc the past two weeks and just today decided on the 940-1...I am so pumped to get it after everything I've looked into but soon after you can be sure as hell I'll be contacting you for a set..love the one you did with the carbon fiber and dark blue as well as a few others. Prob also do a backspacer as well. So happy I found this as I want to make this new blade special. I fully use all my knives, there are just those select few that ya always take extra good care of and are your "my preciousss" lol. After the customization with your hardware I see this becoming one of my absolute favorites.

Again gorgeous work. Looking forward to speaking to you in hopefully the near future. Just have to get it first. Literally driving from store to store tomorrow looking for one so I dont have to wait for shipping haha.

-Nick

What is your turn around time now for a CF or silver twill Mini Grip set with liners ?

Do you happen to do a black or preferably charcoal grey g10 with orange liners?
I think that would look amazing on the full size Ritter Grip.
Think I need to order before the wait becomes 6 months...

Also, is it possible to get left hand only pocket clip attachment?

Last edited:
Do you happen to do a black or preferably charcoal grey g10 with orange liners?
I think that would look amazing on the full size Ritter Grip.
Think I need to order before the wait becomes 6 months...

Also, is it possible to get left hand only pocket clip attachment?

I'm not Ryan, but IIRC, you can specify L, R, both, or neither. Ryan's work is amazing, and the communication was exemplary.

BTW, Ryan, what is the color material on the white scales? Did I miss that? Is it abalone?

Like Rockspyder said I can do whatever side you like for the clip side, or both or none. With or with out lanyard hole is also a standard option. I haven't seen any G10 available that would be dark enough that I would call it charcoal gray. This is really the darkest I've seen. http://masecraftsupply-com.3dcartstores.com/G10-Cool-Gray-18-x-5-x-12_p_2734.html Other than that black is about the best I can do.

Rockspyder - That material is called "fadeone" from beyondwoodproducts. It was a limited/special edition material and I'm not sure there will be any more, so I was pretty happy to get that piece. It's basically 12 of their resin colors all poured together and it's pretty neat. I believe I have enough to make one more set, though it will probably have to be a flat sided set because the left over pieces are pretty thin. Might be awhile before I get time to make the other one though.

Also, daylight shot:

That is some beautiful material. One of these days, I'll have to get another Grip and get more scales. Maybe by then the fadeone will be a regular item.

I'd love to have you make a new set of handle accent scales for my Benchmade Vicar. I don't like the stock green G10 pieces, and want new ones made with carbon fiber. If this ever becomes something you're interested in doing, please let me know!

ive ordered 2 sets and cant believe how nice they are.perfect fit and finish.
thanks!

Last edited:
Hey everyone,
I might be slow to respond of the next few days. A bearing went in my CNC and replacing it and getting it running again is going to be a serious thing. Going to be spending most of my time on that and getting caught up on the work I missed during the down time.

wow. What's the cost of the carbon fiber with wood inlaid? My 550 would look sweet with that handle.

Could you do a carbon fiber scale with blue moon glow back spacer on the 940? And how much would that be?

Are you able to produce scales that will work with the purple spacer in a stock 940 or the blue one in the 943?

I would love to see the purple and blue between some peel ply scales! :) I look forward to hearing back.

Could you do a carbon fiber scale with blue moon glow back spacer on the 940? And how much would that be?

Looking at $115 for the carbon fiber scales and $25 for the spacer.

Are you able to produce scales that will work with the purple spacer in a stock 940 or the blue one in the 943?

I would love to see the purple and blue between some peel ply scales! :) I look forward to hearing back.

Sorry, my scales use a full width spacer design.

Couple from this week.

Back