Day 1: the end of my Cursed existence.

'Morning, Mike. How's it going?

There was a piece on NPR Weekend Edition Saturday last weekend about Kudzu extract and it's effect on reducing the desire to drink. Another tool in the battle.

Have a good day!

Noah

Good morning infidel!. Hope your feeling better today. Life is good, life is great. Now that I have thoroughly irritated you have a great day.
Terry

Hey Ad, I just opened this, I am coming in a bit late. You have done the thing many in your boat never do. You accepted your situation and saw it was not acceptable. You now have the hard road of changing habits ahead. You will stumble some most likely, maybe fall too. But keep getting up. I am on a similar road and I often feel like throwing it all in. It is hard to keep getting up after failing again, but the alternative is worse. This is going to go on for the rest of your life most likely. Some people lick it and never look back, and you could be one of them. The rest slog it out doggedly. I am one of those. You are not alone though you may feel like it. I am just trying to tell you that I will listen and help if I can.

tsf said:
Good morning infidel!... Terry
The only infidel here is someone who doesn't like HI khukuris...

Good morning & thanks for all the good peoples who've gotten this thread to post #81... I still can't believe it. Feeling like a million bucks today, sadly, earning only a fraction of that.

Noah/Howard! "I'm sure the neighbors will bless you as you eat your way through all the local kudzu growth!" Kudzu- The Vine That Ate The South. I buy it at the health food store. :eek:

Nasty- Walking the beach sounds like fun, packing boxes out of a FEMA trailer and moving furninture out of storage is the reality. You get exercise both ways.

Thanks Bill Marsh for posting. Additionally, I swear I will eat No Possum, despite the recent tasty recipe thread. I dunno about the AA meetings. A friend used to go. "Great!" I told him "You're building a better person!" Turns out he wasn't. He would go to hit on the troubled girls. Predatory jerk. :mad:

And Dave- next time I'm in beautiful Canada, I'll be happy to do the driving, especially with those car-smashing concrete pillars that zip in & out of traffic.

Many thanks to jim|clifton, Bamboo, Kismet & Yvsa for emails & IM's...

and to everyone else for sharing Collective Healing Goodwill.

Ad Astra
Mike

vBulletin Message
You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

Hang in there Mike!! I'm rooting for you!

I've gone on and off the wagon a number of times over the years. Never drank crazy amounts but it was to the point were it interfered with my life and was therefore a problem.

I quit for good about 2 months ago. It is damn hard. Its not the physical cravings that get me its the social pressure and the emotional cravings. The escapism lure.

Glad to hear it Mike...surely the walk on the beach can't be too far off now...

Yeah...I'll keep checking anyway...

Mike,

Burg Eltz doesn't sound familiar - BUT that doesn't mean much. Don't have a good memory when it comes to most things. i am coming from the north anyway, there are not that many castles around here. been to heidelberg once, nice castle there. dunno if you've ever been there, but it seems to be quite popular, especially among the japanese tourists. i'm currently living in hamburg, studying medicine.

however, good luck to you. hang in there.

live is good, summer's coming.

Keno

I still recommend the meetings.
Just don't go for his reasons...go for yours.

It's a beautiful day here in sunny nor-cal. Hope your's is as well.

Thanks, Josh. I deeply appreciate it. This is just an amazing collection of caring people. I have also gotten some really inspirational emails & messages.

Thanks too, MauiRob & Shappa. And everyone else...

Belief in something gives human beings superhuman strength sometimes. What I am calling the "Collective Healing Goodwill of the Cantina" is one of those things. Overcoming an alcoholic nature seems easy, armed with this superweapon. And my small contribution of goodwill will always go out into the collective for any who need it. Together, it adds up to a lot, and can make a difference in someone's life. It worked for me.

This thread stands as a tribute to the goodness in all of you.

My sincere thanks.
Mike

missed the thread until now.
- go on ad astra, it is sure tough but we try to be with you here in the cantina.

You mean Burg Eltz near Koblenz?
j_westseite_gross.gif

wonderful castle, and "real", not like Neuschwanstein in southern Bavaria (built in the 19th century)...

That is about in the north-south middle of Germany but very far in the west of our country with Keno being in the far north and me being in northern Bavaria about 400 kms east of this beautiful place...

Andreas

WOW! Pan Tau.....that I haven't seen for about 22 years now.I visited there and Neuschwanstein. I lived just south of there in Niedersohren for 3 years. Absolutely loved Germany. Hope to return someday. Must brush up on my German first.....can hardly remember how to order my beer and wine :rolleyes: much less my zigeuner schnitzel....much less spell it anymore :rolleyes:

I lived in Gemund...loved it. As for the *new* castle...I mentioned "the old wall" to a local resident in conversation once...he corrected me. That was the *new* wall I was talking about...only been there since the 17th century. The *old* wall had been rebuilt three times before that.

I heard a quote once about an American History professor visiting a world history conference. During the dinner chats, each guest spoke about their personal favorite bit of their national history. After listening to accounts from 500, 1500, 3000 years ago, as the American took his turn, he simply said...

"Gentlemen...in America we don't have History...only recent events."

I thought Burg Eltz sounded familiar. I visited Koblenz and that area back in the mid 90's. I remember the small towns of Cochem and Bernkastel-Kues the most. Really beautiful area.

What was this thread about?

Ad,
You got some good stuff going on here. I hope I'm as lucky when I need it. Keep it up, pal.

'Morning, Mike. How's it going today?

Actually, the unpacking and setting up housekeeping probably is somewhat therapeutic in it's own way right now. Gives a sense of accomplishment and a sense of closure. Be sure to stand back and enjoy for a minute each room as it's finished and everything in place. Give yourselves a pat on the back. The accomplishment will make you feel better about getting things in order and better about yourself.

Noah

Mornin' Mike...

BTW...we want to see pics of the new place just to get the image of the accursed FEMA trailer out of our minds!

Pan Tau said:
missed the thread until now.
You mean Burg Eltz near Koblenz?
j_westseite_gross.gif

wonderful castle, and "real", not like Neuschwanstein in southern Bavaria (built in the 19th century)...

That is about in the north-south middle of Germany but very far in the west of our country with Keno being in the far north and me being in northern Bavaria about 400 kms east of this beautiful place...

Andreas
That's the one. Never been sacked, full of authentic swords, polearms, flintlocks, percussion arms, everything. Just beautiful. Not too well known by tourists- found it following "Rick Steve's Europe through the Back Door" travel book. Rick shows you good stuff on a budget. Put us on to a free (with Eurorail pass) Rhine cruise that takes you past the Lorelei rapids and about 100 more castles on either side of the Rhine. Really breathtaking. Germany rocks! Easy language to learn, great food and, uhh, beer. :(

Trailer should be gone today. Pix of beautiful made-over house will come. New everything- pergo floors, lighting, siding, masonry, paint. Thanks again to any and all well wishers.

One problem the area is facing is that a lot of people, especially on Pensacola Beach are still living in these trailers. Much of the beach is still total ruins. Hurricane season begins June 1. If the beach takes another 15 ft. wall of water, those trailers are going to wind up in the intracoastal, the mainland, wrapped around who-know-what. Scary thought. And they cannot evacuate so many trailers in time if we're threatened again.

Thanks again everybody.

Mike

Back