EDC XIII Which knife or knives are you carrying today?

pFjctos.jpg

Brian Tighe auto

I might make you reconsider once more. Tbh, at $525, the SHF is more of a diamond in the rough....There was significantly a lack of refinements when i received mine new out if the factory.

It requires your attention for the finishing touch... unfortunately.

When, i got it, it was really off centered and was super tight and gritty. The standoffs weren’t parallel and were « domed » shape on one side. To the point, where there’s is a gap where you can shine lights through. All corners are really sharp except the obvious 45 degrees chamfered outside of the scale. The filler tab doesn’t sits flush with the scale and was raised. This is due to burrs of the two hidden threaded holes underneath the filler tab.

Needless to say, i have to disassemble, sand one side of the standoffs to make them parallel, knock all sharp corners and deburr the holes under the filler tab. I, then, polish the blade tang because the dlc coating prevents the pivot washers to roll due to friction and instead roll on the scale and then finally reassembled to recenter the blade.

Edit: Massive lock stick for the first few days if flickered open and really early lockup (5-10%) if slow roll opening. YMMV tho.

So at $525 with a clear lack of refinements... i would say reconsider it because it was overpriced for what i received. But once all that addressed... it’s a fantastic knife like a Hinderer on washers.
Thank you Sir for your straight forward and honest review it’s much appreciated. I must say the ones you have are absolutely beautiful and I’m glad you were able to dial them in. I agree at that price point though you shouldn’t have to do that much dialing imo. They have as I mentioned a new release the 3.25 Harsey in s45vn priced at 395.00 .There was only one partial review/unveiling I could find and it was positive but could of been a little bias because it was a well known you tuber that just received one straight from the maker with a hand written note from him.He’s normally pretty honest but again could of been sugar coating this one a little out of respect for the owner/maker.

Thank you Sir for your straight forward and honest review it’s much appreciated. I must say the ones you have are absolutely beautiful and I’m glad you were able to dial them in. I agree at that price point though you shouldn’t have to do that much dialing imo. They have as I mentioned a new release the 3.25 Harsey in s45vn priced at 395.00 .There was only one partial review/unveiling I could find and it was positive but could of been a little bias because it was a well known you tuber that just received one straight from the maker with a hand written note from him.He’s normally pretty honest but again could of been sugar coating this one a little out of respect for the owner/maker.

If you really like it, i would say go for it, ymmv. It still a really well-built American made knife backed by military background!

I was able to dealt with most issue on the first day i got it and still enjoy the knife. S45vn is sure appealing tho. ;)

Been drooling over those Manticore knives since I handled them at the gun ahow last weekend!

By the way, I used to have that red dot. I had good luck with it, besides the battery melting in the optic. I sent the optic in and Vortex had me a brand new one at my door step in less than a week!!
It's not a vortex, it's a Sig Romeo 5 XDR predator.

Last edited:
I might make you reconsider once more. Tbh, at $525, the SHF is more of a diamond in the rough....There was significantly a lack of refinements when i received mine new out if the factory.

It requires your attention for the finishing touch... unfortunately.

When, i got it, it was really off centered and was super tight and gritty. The standoffs weren’t parallel and were « domed » shape on one side. To the point, where there’s is a gap where you can shine lights through. All corners are really sharp except the obvious 45 degrees chamfered outside of the scale. The filler tab doesn’t sits flush with the scale and was raised. This is due to burrs of the two hidden threaded holes underneath the filler tab.

Needless to say, i have to disassemble, sand one side of the standoffs to make them parallel, knock all sharp corners and deburr the holes under the filler tab. I, then, polish the blade tang because the dlc coating prevents the pivot washers to roll due to friction and instead roll on the scale and then finally reassembled to recenter the blade.

Edit: Massive lock stick for the first few days if flickered open and really early lockup (5-10%) if slow roll opening. YMMV tho.

So at $525 with a clear lack of refinements... i would say reconsider it because it was overpriced for what i received. But once all that addressed... it’s a fantastic knife like a Hinderer on washers.

That is unfortunate to hear. This one has been on my list for some time.

That is unfortunate to hear. This one has been on my list for some time.
It is still a good knife made for hard use! Just a bit lacking in F&F and bit overpriced for s35vn/ti with the lack of refinement. But like i said your might vary!

This guy here has most of my issues as well but i think the problem here is inconsistency.

Today is a SAK and Griptilian combo type of day.
It was for me too!
sabre cat said:
I am finding that I like that pair.
Maybe I am beginning to see the light about two knife carry.
Me too, though I have to admit that if I carry just one knife, it will be a SAK. ;-)

I love Victorinox, and always wanted a Grip!!
I probably have 50 SAKs. This is my 2nd Griptilian; the other is the basic Mini Grip. By the way, I just wrote a review of the 550-1 Griptilian over in the reviews forum. Check it out if you want.

I love how the wear also. ChazzyP ChazzyP this May sound odd but I hate the honeymoon stage with my CRKs. Hear me out tho. I like getting that first big scratch on the blade and the snail trails going. I can relax and enjoy the knife more. Don’t have to worry about babying it anymore. I like to get to that stage where it doesn’t really matter what happens to the knife and your not that cautious.

I get where you're comin' from, D, and certainly appreciate that attitude. I've got a couple dozen knives to rotate as work users, ranging from high-value pieces like several each of my Shiros, CRKs, RHKs, and others, down into the the Spyderco, ZT, and Benchmade range. Those knives get used pretty hard when needed and bear the scratches, scuffs, and trails to show it.

On the other hand, I enjoy the honeymoon period with lots of my newer knives. While some go right into the work rotation, others get carried and used more lightly at first, gradually picking up wear or that first scratch with many of them transitioning to work knives. I like to have some that I keep nice while still using them without accumulating drawer queens, a fair number of which have been sold off while others have made the transition to harder use. That first scratch or scuff usually doesn't bother me much anymore as it just means more opportunities for carry and use.

I've got the new 31 with me again today and, as a certifiable geezer who's out on job sites way less than he used to be, I have more occasion to carry it and keep it initially nice until it assumes greater responsibilities. :);)

dAgEv6P.jpg

jTnMV5o.jpg

Back