Elusive Schrades

Charlie- I am thinking of ringing you up and telling you off for misplacing such a Gem my friend! - What a beauty that is! :) :thumbsup:

Kev and Cal, two great examples of Sears, thats the great thing about Sears Knives- they have the differences being SFO's and always great to see- many thanks for the viewing!

Lots of great knives posted since my last entry!

Here is a little 2-9/16" Oval Lobster that was done in sterling as a SFO or sold as a skeleton and handled post-factory. Schrade would have called it a 8729SS Shac but sterling is not a standard 8729 handle material (as listed in the catalogs).

My knife, with it's easy-open cut-out, is most similar to the 8729GOLD Shac as seen in the 1936 supplement.
dGRK6lM.jpg

DYujyh5.jpg

vPJVNFm.jpg

iuJhFFy.jpg

w8RYoXP.jpg

I've always needed a helper to file my knives, but never could afford one, Duncan!!:( I accept the chastising!!:eek::D
Some neat Schrades, Kevin and Cal!!:thumbsup:

I will accept that Job Charlie Sir - no pay needed. :) :thumbsup:

Looks like we are all headed to Charlie's place; hope there is plenty of food; we will be busy!

I second that. Only I could not guarantee there would not be embezzlement involved
All of us leaving Charlie's house after helping inventory knives :D:thumbsup:20201125_184602.jpg

Recently got given by my grandfather (what I think is) a '53-'56 Schrade Walden 920 tang stamp is 3 lines Schrade Walden NY USA. Did a little bit of maintenance on it and plan to do more. most likely gonna end up carrying this one at least occasionally but I would like to know more about this knife
XY2G0NR.jpg

92HMsJ4.jpg

xtrt6BY.jpg

Kev and Cal, two great examples of Sears, thats the great thing about Sears Knives- they have the differences being SFO's and always great to see- many thanks for the viewing!

This intrigues me. How do you tell the difference between an SFO for a retailer vs a refular contract knife?
I have a bunch of Sears and Sears Craftsman knives, some of which were made by Schrade. And in my recent hunt for 294s and 124s, the nicest one I found is labeled John Primble.

So what makes one an SFO?

Amir Fleschwund Amir Fleschwund
I think anytime there are added or changed steps in the manufacturers standard procedure for making the knives for a retailer or private client it can be referred to as a contract knife or special factory order (SFO). I think some are just more rare because the manufacturer never sold the pattern in their catalog line and/or they only made them for one client for a short period of time like mine and Cal's knife. Cal's knife is really rare because I don't think Schrade even made a 3 blade electricians knife let alone with the saw blade, wire strippers on the screwdriver tool and the center lock. The knife I posted is the standard Ulster scout knife pattern they made for the Boy Scouts with a saw blade added. Both of these Craftsman knives were only made for one or two years around 1967. Below is the 1966 Ulster BSA knife courtesy of scoutknives.net

ULSC4J_Fish.jpeg

Last edited:
veitsi_poika veitsi_poika ~ thanks for the explanation!
From what you said, my Craftsman whittler, and two blade folding hunter, as well as the John Primble Belknap serpentine jack are not SFOs, since aside from stamping and badges, they are identical to regular Schrade knives ~ 204(?), 225,&294.

I love your camper with the saw. I had always assumed that model was made for them by Camillus, but maybe that was the one with the black sawcut delrin???
Any day I learn something is a good day!

From what you said, my Craftsman whittler, and two blade folding hunter, as well as the John Primble Belknap serpentine jack are not SFOs, since aside from stamping and badges, they are identical to regular Schrade knives ~ 204(?), 225,&294.

I love your camper with the saw. I had always assumed that model was made for them by Camillus, but maybe that was the one with the black sawcut delrin???
Oh I think you're talking about the Schrade 804 whittler for Sears Craftsman, I have one of those somewhere too. My impression is that if the tang stamp or shield is different than the standard model, then it would still be a SFO even if the frame/blade/scales are standard; not 100% sure on the lingo though. I'm sure someone else will chime in for us :thumbsup:

On a side note, the Sears knives are interesting for sure since they could have been sourced by Schrade, Camillus, Ulster and who knows who else. If you search BF there are a handful of discussions on the topic. I know one series of knives Camillus made them for Schrade for Sears LoL o_O

Back