Elusive Schrades

Probably not so elusive but stockman patterns are not my normal favorite...yet I am actually quite taken by this slim one. Unfortunately someone caused the clip to have a fair bit of blade play (up/down and sideways), and the sheepfoot has a bit side-to-side. Springs are pretty sunken too. I carry and use it anyway! :D Any idea as to the age period (Schrade stamps are elusive to me lol)?

IMG-2964b.jpg

I got this user grade slender electrician knife with the Empire flared bar shield, hard to beat Schrade quality of this era, assuming Schrade made it and not Empire? Now I've got myself wondering
View attachment 1521284
I'm pretty sure Empire made the ones with that shield!! - - - - - - -
Oh Wait! It's a Liner-lock!!:eek: Now you have me wondering!!:rolleyes:

Last edited:
After years of guessing what purpose this knife was intended to serve, Bernie Levine served up the answer!!
Quoted from a email to Dennis Ellingsen (OKCA):

"Jack knives with "seal caps," as the flat cap could be engraved (in reverse, deeply) with a wax seal. Rarely actually engraved, just as shields were rarely engraved, although also made for this.

Also used on heavy hawkbill knives, both pruners and plumber's knives, but on those more likely made of steel, meant for hammering.

Sometimes on plumber's knives the cap was lead, used for pounding lead pipe, but those knives wore out fast."
SchradeBigDocF.jpg SchradeBigDocBack.jpg

Old pic of a nice Jack!! I wonder if Bob Borin got it for his Birthday, and kept it pristine in the original box, from 1945??:eek::D
There's nothing like pondering the history of a knife!:rolleyes:
SCC 1945 1.jpg SCC 1945 2.jpg SCC 1945 3.jpg
Likely made just before Albert Baer bought Schrade and converted the tang stamp to Schrade Walden!

Last edited:
Back