ESEE-3 Folder pototype photos

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would love to have one of these.... I almost made the mistake of getting a cold steel knife.

I would love to have one of these.... I almost made the mistake of getting a cold steel knife.

What mistake? Cold Steel makes great knives. I carried three different CS folders every day for almost a decade. :thumbup:

Just a quick question... Why has the Esee 3 Folder blade 4 mm thick, wouldn´t 3.5 mm be enough? The blade would be even better slicer and heavy duty at the same time.

I´m not trying to piss anybody off :D, I´m just interested why did you choose this blade thickness, what was the main reason. Or have you considered any alternatives of the blade´s specs? Grind, thickness, false edge etc.

God, I´m really looking forward for the production model :thumbup:!

Just a quick question... Why has the Esee 3 Folder blade 4 mm thick, wouldn´t 3.5 mm be enough? The blade would be even better slicer and heavy duty at the same time.

Oh my, now we're at the point of dicussing .020" on the blade thickness.

I think 4mm is perfect. Not too thin and not too thick. I absolutely love that folder, apart from the fact that Jeff has it and not me and that its not Idaho Made:)

...and that its not Idaho Made:)

muahaha! "If it's not IDAHA MADE, it's CRAP!"
anim_43.gif

So, that's a good point. If we go against our philosophy on this folder and let the Italians make it, but offer the same warranty as we would a USA product, how many people are going to get their feelings hurt?

So, that's a good point. If we go against our philosophy on this folder and let the Italians make it, but offer the same warranty as we would a USA product, how many people are going to get their feelings hurt?

Jeff - you've already done that with the Lite machete, haven't you? I haven't seen any pitchforks or mass-hysteria over that.

True, but a machete is, well, a machete :) Not much expected from them because they're basically just a POS piece of spring steel with a sharp (sometimes) edge. Plus, we don't offer a no-qustions-asked warranty on the machete even though we have yet to turn any warranty request down.

Mike and I are really thinking on this folder. Lion Steel's quality is excellent. We can also get the price right on this folder if it comes from Lion but we REALLY want a USA made folder. Main thing is we like our USA made philosophy but it's damn difficult getting a USA made folder nowadays since shops are just too busy doing their own thing to work for us. So, if we go with Lion we will probably post a thread up asking for opinions from all the BF members before we make a decision. Plus, if we do decide to go with Lion on production, we're *probably* going to make the warranty the same as the rest of our junk and just suck up the idiots that will baton, pry or break things.

Plus, if we do decide to go with Lion on production, we're *probably* going to make the warranty the same as the rest of our junk and just suck up the idiots that will baton, pry or break things.

But you aren't going to warranty throwing it??? Doesn't sound like much of a warranty to me! :D

I have no moral, spiritual, political or economical beef with Italy, it's people or it's products..not enough anyways for me to shun a nice knife made there.

Anyone who would complain about a more narrow ESEE warranty guideline for a folder shoulden't be using a folder anyways. A "narrow" ESEE warranty would probably be pretty wide in what claims it accepts and rejects anyways.

But you aren't going to warranty throwing it??? Doesn't sound like much of a warranty to me! :D

Oh, but we do indeed warranty throwing. We also reserve the right to call the thrower an idiot.

Amazing knife design, I think i'm in love! There is only one thing bothering me, and its not that big of a deal but i'd prefer a more simple pivot screw without the strange holes in it, but that is not a deal breaker at all, just seems sorta odd with the simple philosophy behind it. Keep it uncoated, with maybe a stonewashed finish. Its no big deal but I like when the etching is small and discreet.

Lion Steel's quality is excellent. We can also get the price right on this folder if it comes from Lion but we REALLY want a USA made folder. Main thing is we like our USA made philosophy but it's damn difficult getting a USA made folder nowadays since shops are just too busy doing their own thing to work for us.

Put a giant "ITALY MADE" on it and watch the SHTF.

On a more serious note, I would definitely prefer it to be made in the U.S., but if the only way it can make it to production is through Lion, then by all means have them make it.

True, but a machete is, well, a machete :) Not much expected from them because they're basically just a POS piece of spring steel with a sharp (sometimes) edge. Plus, we don't offer a no-qustions-asked warranty on the machete even though we have yet to turn any warranty request down.

Mike and I are really thinking on this folder. Lion Steel's quality is excellent. We can also get the price right on this folder if it comes from Lion but we REALLY want a USA made folder. Main thing is we like our USA made philosophy but it's damn difficult getting a USA made folder nowadays since shops are just too busy doing their own thing to work for us. So, if we go with Lion we will probably post a thread up asking for opinions from all the BF members before we make a decision. Plus, if we do decide to go with Lion on production, we're *probably* going to make the warranty the same as the rest of our junk and just suck up the idiots that will baton, pry or break things.

From what I have seen of Lion Steel, their quality is up there with the very best. If you can't find an American maker who can do the work for a decent price, let the Italians make it. They make fine blades over there. It's no different than letting Salvadorans make machetes. They're good at it.

It's hard to see but the pivot screw on these protos has an allen head in the middle, so you can adjust without the need of a special tool. I didn't recognize this either until I asked Gianni about it. I'm a dumbass for not looking closer!

Well, until you post a poll on the topic, I'll just say that while I would prefer a knife made in the USA, a quality knife is a quality knife. Adding the standard RAT warranty to it sells it to me without any regrets.

So, the $10,000,000 question is - Is your guiding principle to sell good knives at good prices, or to sell USA made products?

Decisions like that are why you guys get the big bucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back