ESEE forum closed... bummer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd bet it was just too much trouble for them to maintain their forum and hey, it's not like they don't have enough business now...

That's just speculation and a not very friendly accusation. There was never any issues within the ESEE forum.

Get the knife anyway. Dont let some argument keep you from getting a great knife.

Huh. Too bad. I had just started posting there. :(

Think they mind if new people join up over there or is it an invitation only kind of thing?

I'd bet it was just too much trouble for them to maintain their forum and hey, it's not like they don't have enough business now... They'd probably have to hire on at least one new person just to handle their forum. Its a lot of work to read all those posts and make sure people are behaving. *edit* I just re-read that and it seems like I'm being sarcastic about the work it takes, but I'm not.

Seemed like outsiders didn't have any place there as well. I posted that I got my first ESEE knife and got a ton of flak from the old heads. Odd, usually people in manufacturer forums are glad to share their brand with someone new...

Maybe they just got tired of people being rude... isn't that why we go out camping and day-hiking, to get away from jackasses?

Your thread reads a lot better after the edit. With regard to getting flak from the "old heads". Your original post made it look like you screwed someone out of a knife. Go back and read it. After you clarified the situation, everything changed.

I'd bet it was just too much trouble for them to maintain their forum and hey, it's not like they don't have enough business now... They'd probably have to hire on at least one new person just to handle their forum. Its a lot of work to read all those posts and make sure people are behaving. *edit* I just re-read that and it seems like I'm being sarcastic about the work it takes, but I'm not.

Seemed like outsiders didn't have any place there as well. I posted that I got my first ESEE knife and got a ton of flak from the old heads. Odd, usually people in manufacturer forums are glad to share their brand with someone new...

Maybe they just got tired of people being rude... isn't that why we go out camping and day-hiking, to get away from jackasses?

I don't see how this post is relevant. You aren't even basing it on the facts of what happened. We never have trouble with internal moderation problems on the ESEE forum. And as for the flak you got there, do you have a link? Unless you were using your knives as throwing knives or trying to cut down a brick wall with them, I can't imagine people being that rough on you! Every day people post about their new knives and everyone welcomes them to the family. It sucks you feel that way, but I just can't see it from my own perspective. Maybe I am off a bit.

Furthermore, I am on Bladeforums because of ESEE. Not the other way around. I bought my membership because of ESEE. I enjoy reading and posting in other sections, but it is the ESEE subforum and culture that kept me coming back day after day. I hate to see this stuff going down, and I hope it is resolved quickly. Whether that means ESEE moving on, or staying here, I wish the best to both ESEE and BF. And for the record, I don't see the slightest similarities with the RYP thing. Just sayin'.

SIXbig_n.jpg

Spark, I know my opinion means jack in the grand scheme of things, but I wanted to comment on the "cantina" you mentioned. I have spent almost all my time in the ESEE forum since my registration. The reason for that was the community they have formed. We have talked about everything from knives, to packs, starting a fire, and so on. It's been that way since my first memory of the forum. It's more than a knife company. They're survival experts who teach this information.

To have that taken away now, seems counterproductive in the grand-scheme. There is a root problem here. Is the root-problem the fact that it's always been that way? Or that someone believes it needed to be changed after all this time? Find and fix the problem, not try and fix something that was never broken.
The site is BladeForums.com, not ESEEForums-and-other-knives-too.com, or BusseForums or SpydercoForums nor is it Everything-under-the-sun-forums.com. People gravitate to what interests them, and while over-moderation is a trap that we strive to avoid, there is great danger in not moderating at all. Off topic threads in forums is a problem because it makes it extremely difficult for us to prune deadwood should we need to conserve space. Likewise, threads that belong in other forums are little use to people searching for specific information.

Spark can you clarify which "situation" you are referring to?
Really no need to go into it.

That's just speculation and a not very friendly accusation. There was never any issues within the ESEE forum.
Exactly. Let's keep the speculation out of things.

Well I read Jeff's explanation and really think it was poorly handled. He could have left an explanation on the sub forum.

I only really frequent this forum (because of the wide variety) and another knife forum. No time or point in joining too many forums.

I won't be going to his campfire anytime soon. :thumbdn:

Let's not talk badly about people. Things happen. I'm not happy the forum was closed, but life goes on.

So you guys ordered ESEE gear in order to post on an internet site about it, and now you're disappointed because you can't?

pete

Oh heaven forbid people order knives and then post about their experiences with them on a forum dedicated to knives. I ordered 2 ESEE knives with the intent of using them and sharing my experiences. I didn't buy the knives so I could post on the ESEE forum. I was hoping I could give back to the forum that helped me make my decision.

The ESEE forum was the deciding factor for me as far as what knives I wanted for outdoor use. People are happy with their customer service and products, and this is something I wouldn't have known if the forum didn't exist. I was looking forward to ending my time as a lurker and starting to post, but that's not going to happen now because the forum I wanted to post in is now closed. He should have simply quit posting if he didn't like it.

Oh heaven forbid people order knives and then post about their experiences with them on a forum dedicated to knives. I ordered 2 ESEE knives with the intent of using them and sharing my experiences. I didn't buy the knives so I could post on the ESEE forum. I was hoping I could give back to the forum that helped me make my decision.

Not that any choice could be wrong, but what did you end up getting for your first Esee's? Mine was the 4!

So does that mean that this is a permanent situation?

Remains to be seen. I'd have preferred this situation not come up to begin with. Past that, we'll see in the morning.

I'm going to turn in, those of you with paid subscriptions can see why my night was extra exciting in a certain unnamed subforum

The ESEE forum was my new home. I was just starting to feel like part of the family!!!!

It's not like they died or anything. They just moved to their own free-standing forum. :)

Those of you that have a paid membership--everyone who was a part of the ESEE "club" still has a membership here, so there's no reason to feel like it's some kind of divorce and you're a victim of sole custody. All your friends are still here. They're just over there too now. And we can still discuss ESEE stuff in General. The money from your membership is still supporting not only this community, but the culture and industry of cutlery. That's something to be proud of. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back