Ever heard of GSM Outdoors? They just bought Cold steel.

Not theorizing, but presenting second hand information as being fact, refusing to reveal the source for confirmation then protesting vehemently when questioned why. The FB page I can only assume is the Cold Steel fan club page where the actual people who worked for Cold Steel are posting first hand accounts of whats been going on. That is far more reliable information coming right from source. Those are two totally different things and the butthurt fanbois can't seem to make the distinction between the two. They see what they want too see, hear what they want to hear and anybody who is not commiserating with them is a troll. Second hand information is unreliable information ( I know a guy who had a cousin who etc etc..) unless the source is given for review. Basic English Writing 101..... and reading comprehension seems a bit lacking around here lately too....so, did you get all that too?

Intelligent well thought out response.....name calling, the last refuge of those who can't disprove the opposing point of view.....Probably should have expected that all things considered....

C’mon man, GIVE. IT. A. REST.

Everyone know your position. “No one knows anything. Let’s wait for the “facts.” If you don’t like the discussion and don’t find help here, go someplace that makes you happy. You are just repeating yourself over and over.

There is a lot of insight in this thread, of real world dealings. If you choose not to believe it, that is your choice and it’s totally fine...but man, please just stop posting your position over and over. Also, do you know what a fanboi is?

Here is a relevant question: What did you think of the last two CS videos? Please post something worth reading in response.

Thanks in advance.

Not theorizing, but presenting second hand information as being fact, refusing to reveal the source for confirmation then protesting vehemently when questioned why. The FB page I can only assume is the Cold Steel fan club page where the actual people who worked for Cold Steel are posting first hand accounts of whats been going on. That is far more reliable information coming right from source. Those are two totally different things and the butthurt fanbois can't seem to make the distinction between the two. They see what they want too see, hear what they want to hear and anybody who is not commiserating with them is a troll. Second hand information is unreliable information ( I know a guy who had a cousin who etc etc..) unless the source is given for review. Basic English Writing 101..... and reading comprehension seems a bit lacking around here lately too....so, did you get all that too?

So I'm sipping some Bushmills and trying to think of a way of responding to you that won't force @Boru13 to ban me and/or close the thread... Cheers to you sir for not making this an easy task...

I am not a Cold Steel "fanbois" (I hate that term, let alone the spelling). But I am a Cold Steel fan. But really only in so much as they fill a great niche and pioneered carry knives and crazy stuff like no one else ever had. I distinctly remember the first Cold Steel knife I encountered. It was the late 80's and I stupidly got out in front of a K9 handler and his dog. I was was all focused on finding the bad guy when I realized Manda was softly growling behind me. The handler, Billy, pulled out a Cold Steel tanto and cut something, I don't remember what and calmly educated me on not getting in front of him and his dog. When that stuff was over I was all about his knife. But back then a married enlisted guy raising a kid in the trailer park qualified for food stamps so... Yeah...

Oh, just cuz, Billy became the Chief Master Sergeant of Pacific Air Forces!

Anyway...

I've purchased a couple Cold Steel products but by the time I was able to afford them, my attention had shifted to other makers.

Now, I have always reveled in the outlandish marketing of Lynn Thompson. I mean, you just can't fake that stuff. Have you ever seen his favorite Cold Steel moments video? Epic! While I laughed and laughed at his antics, I became aware that others were really, really into it. And ya know, good for them.

I've never had a Cold Steel product that didn't feel solid. But beyond the quality is the absolute fact, yep, fact, that Cold Steel will never be the same without Lynn Thompson driving the bus. It just won't. I ain't saying quality will suffer, but the brand will never, ever be the same. He's going to fade out before long and then it will just be another brand. Sure, it might still try to fill that niche, but it won't have ever be what it was just last year.

I genuinely do not want the demise of Cold Steel and that's what motivated me to try to find what answers I could and report back here. My intent was to help eliminate speculation, that thing you have accused me of many times over.

I wish Cold Steel well, I just remain incredibly skeptical that in a few years it will be anything like it is today. I hope they prove me wrong.

I don't know why you have such an issue with me and I really don't care any more.

Woosh...

That deserves another drink...

;)

Last edited:

Everyone know your position. “No one knows anything. Let’s wait for the “facts.” If you don’t like the discussion and don’t find help here, go someplace that makes you happy. You are just repeating yourself over and over.

There is a lot of insight in this thread, of real world dealings. If you choose not to believe it, that is your choice and it’s totally fine...but man, please just stop posting your position over and over. Also, do you know what a fanboi is?

Here is a relevant question: What did you think of the last two CS videos? Please post something worth reading in response.

Thanks in advance.
Thanks for this. Couldn’t have said it any better. Been a lot of same argument from these 2-3 people over and over for the past few days.
I wished this forum has a downvote feature like reddit so the trolls who just want to argue for arguments sake can get downvoted to hell and have their post collapsed, so save the rest of us some bandwidth.

Hmmm, maybe they're onto something here. Lifestyle marketing...

Mad Science Forge titanium machetes. It's not just a machete duct-taped to your back under your shirt: it's a lifestyle. You'll be BONDED to your titanium machete - by duct tape. To your back. Under your shirt! You and your titanium machete will become one. You ARE that titanium machete (that's duct taped to your back under your shirt).

I could get into this. Anybody got a bunch of stick-on tattoos and a Harley I can borrow for a minute?
If I might offer some constructive criticism? This kind of thinking is really what is stopping you from taking it to the next level. Duct tape? Come on. Painters tape is what you need, it doesn't rip out all the body hair like duct tape and leave you writhing in pain. Time to get serious.

Last edited:
So I'm sipping some Bushmills and trying to think of a way of responding to you that won't force @Boru13 to ban me and/or close the thread... Cheers to you sir for not making this an easy task...

I am not a Cold Steel "fanbois" (I hate that term, let alone the spelling). But I am a Cold Steel fan. But really only in so much as they fill a great niche and pioneered carry knives and crazy stuff like no one else ever had. I distinctly remember the first Cold Steel knife I encountered. It was the late 80's and I stupidly got out in front of a K9 handler and his dog. I was was all focused on finding the bad guy when I realized Manda was softly growling behind me. The handler, Billy, pulled out a Cold Steel tanto and cut something, I don't remember what and calmly educated me on not getting in front of him and his dog. When that stuff was over I was all about his knife. But back then a married enlisted guy raising a kid in the trailer park qualified for food stamps so... Yeah...

Oh, just cuz, Billy became the Chief Master Sergeant of Pacific Air Forces!

Anyway...

I've purchased a couple Cold Steel products but by the time I was able to afford them, my attention had shifted to other makers.

Now, I have always reveled in the outlandish marketing of Lynn Thompson. I mean, you just can't fake that stuff. Have you ever seen his favorite Cold Steel moments video? Epic! While I laughed and laughed at his antics, I became aware that others were really, really into it. And ya know, good for them.

I've never had a Cold Steel product that didn't feel solid. But beyond the quality is the absolute fact, yep, fact, that Cold Steel will never be the same without Lynn Thompson driving the bus. It just won't. I ain't saying quality will suffer, but the brand will never, ever be the same. He's going to fade out before long and then it will just be another brand. Sure, it might still try to fill that niche, but it won't have ever be what it was just last year.

I genuinely do not want the demise of Cold Steel and that's what motivated me to try to find what answers I could and report back here. My intent was to help eliminate speculation, that thing you have accused me of many times over.

I wish Cold Steel well, I just remain incredibly skeptical that in a few years it will be anything like it is today. I hope they prove me wrong.

I don't know why you have such an issue with me and I really don't care any more.

Woosh...

That deserves another drink...

;)
Best thing to do is just ignore them. They are obviously looking for an argument with you. Ignore and they got no one to fight with.

There’s always a couple of these people in every forum. Just ask Sharp & Fiery Sharp & Fiery about his post on CRK forum about his Sebenza 31 blade play. There’s one guy who disagreed with him just constantly attacking his integrity and denying his facts while contributed no personal experience in the discussion.

Anyway, while we likely won’t know the full impact of this acquisition, I really appreciate you trying to contacting CS and tried getting some info for us. Never let anyone devalue what you did, at least you did something while we just talk on the forums.

Intelligent well thought out response.....name calling, the last refuge of those who can't disprove the opposing point of view.....Probably should have expected that all things considered....

Everyone here is pondering the sale of Cold Steel, what the effects may be for the knives, and what's happening with the company now. There's a lot of interest in the subject, and people are bringing forth whatever information they can find in a collective effort to figure out whatever may be in store. What's your issue with that? The sale just became public mere days ago. As time continues we'll know more, but there's nothing wrong with working with what we've got.

You're not "disproving" or "refuting" anything, or even creating an actual argument. What you're doing is dropping a Hot Carl in the punchbowl, plain and simple.

Thanks for this. Couldn’t have said it any better. Been a lot of same argument from these 2-3 people over and over for the past few days.
I wished this forum has a downvote feature like reddit so the trolls who just want to argue for arguments sake can get downvoted to hell and have their post collapsed, so save the rest of us some bandwidth.

We've discussed that topic!

https://bladeforums.com/threads/dislike-button.1622760/

If I might offer some constructive criticism? This kind of thinking is really what is stopping you from taking it to the next level. Duct tape? Come on. Painters tape is what you need, it doesn't rip out all the body hair like duct tape and leave you writhing in pain. Time to get serious.

It saves you the trouble of waxing some of your back hair. Plus, one needs a secure carry. It's embarrassing when your back machete falls out at the grocery store or bank.

It saves you the trouble of waxing some of your back hair. Plus, one needs a secure carry. It's embarrassing when your back machete falls out at the grocery store or bank.

Well played. I just spit my coffee out. Haha. Love it.

I did, they didn't....I'm just responding to fan mail......

Thanks in advance.
Sure.....This video thing reminds me of what happened a few years ago at Filson Outdoor Products. If you are not familar, look them up....a well known long time higher end expedition / clothing outfitter. They got bought out by an investment company, and soon after the changes started. Much of the good stuff that was Filsons bread and butter had been made right in Portland but soon got outsourced over seas, a lot of it was discontinued in favor of wannabe lumberjack hipster lifestyle clothing, and the marketing reflected this. Now its a lot of cheap clothing with high prices, a revolving product line that seems to be a mostly stuff that doesn't sell well, and some retro stuff brought back occasionally in an attempt to recapture all the fans that jumped ship when the product line went down hill.

The motorcycle video is a perfect example of this type of marketing, counting on the lure of a particular lifestyle to sell product rather that using the actual product to sell itself. If you are serious about making and selling blades you really need to feature them in an advertisement, rather than show them in passing as a lifestyle accessory. That does not bode well for the future of CS quality.....and a note here...carrying a possibly illegal weapon openly and operating a motorcycle while under the influence is not exactly good marketing I think...kind of irresponsible, and it shows the mindset of the new owners maybe? New Canaan is just outside of NYC and the metro hipster lifestyle is popular. Those types think anything related to being "bad" is cool, even if they don't have a clue what that is....perfect target audience for the new Cold Steel.
The throwing knife video - again trying to sell using lifestyles rather than product, trying to recapture your youth using Cold Steel knives. How about using the merits of those knives to sell them or at least mention them in the video.......
The ranch video, no clue what that was about......a kid working on a ranch, a quick mention of a Cold Steel knife? Kind of reminded me of those old Smithsonian videos from the 1960s where they sent out people to record a way of life for posterity....But I see a recurring theme - the lifestyle, and the knife was the first thing on and last thing off. Maybe the new mantra at CS?
Lets face it....Cold Steel was already just a couple steps away from Walmart blister packs with the majority of their product line, all this just completes the transition. It was bound to happen sooner or later.

If I wasn’t such a visualizer...

“That’s not a knife...this is a...oh shoot, it just fell right out there on the ground, mate. Son of a...” Signed Croc Dundee

Sure.....This video thing reminds me of what happened a few years ago at Filson Outdoor Products. If you are not familar, look them up....a well known long time higher end expedition / clothing outfitter. They got bought out by an investment company, and soon after the changes started. Much of the good stuff that was Filsons bread and butter had been made right in Portland but soon got outsourced over seas, a lot of it was discontinued in favor of wannabe lumberjack hipster lifestyle clothing, and the marketing reflected this. Now its a lot of cheap clothing with high prices, a revolving product line that seems to be a mostly stuff that doesn't sell well, and some retro stuff brought back occasionally in an attempt to recapture all the fans that jumped ship when the product line went down hill.

The motorcycle video is a perfect example of this type of marketing, counting on the lure of a particular lifestyle to sell product rather that using the actual product to sell itself. If you are serious about making and selling blades you really need to feature them in an advertisement, rather than show them in passing as a lifestyle accessory. That does not bode well for the future of CS quality.....and a note here...carrying a possibly illegal weapon openly and operating a motorcycle while under the influence is not exactly good marketing I think...kind of irresponsible, and it shows the mindset of the new owners maybe? New Canaan is just outside of NYC and the metro hipster lifestyle is popular. Those types think anything related to being "bad" is cool, even if they don't have a clue what that is....perfect target audience for the new Cold Steel.
The throwing knife video - again trying to sell using lifestyles rather than product, trying to recapture your youth using Cold Steel knives. How about using the merits of those knives to sell them or at least mention them in the video.......
The ranch video, no clue what that was about......a kid working on a ranch, a quick mention of a Cold Steel knife? Kind of reminded me of those old Smithsonian videos from the 1960s where they sent out people to record a way of life for posterity....But I see a recurring theme - the lifestyle, and the knife was the first thing on and last thing off. Maybe the new mantra at CS?
Lets face it....Cold Steel was already just a couple steps away from Walmart blister packs with the majority of their product line, all this just completes the transition. It was bound to happen sooner or later.

Thank you for your thoughts with no name calling. I’m actually impressed, and I appreciated the read. Good info, and great thoughts. Thank you.

I thought we all agreed to tip-up carry years ago:rolleyes:

It looks way cooler when you deploy the machete by pulling it up over your shoulder like a ninja. Looking cool is part of the Back Machete Lifestyle.

It sounds like you agree with the general consensus of what the sale of Cold Steel means for the knives. Perhaps all this jumping to conclusions might not be so inaccurate after all?

You're not "disproving" or "refuting" anything, or even creating an actual argument. What you're doing is dropping a Hot Carl in the punchbowl, plain and simple.
Well actually if you were to read a bit closer its you and others who want to disprove what I said. You are correct, I never once created an argument, the select few did that on their own. I never disputed anything, never tried to disprove anything. All I asked for is confirmation of the stories from a first hand source, and was met with hostility. I don't like rumors, and assumptions are a bad thing to proceed on. I see zero issues with asking for somebody to reveal where the first hand information was obtained so it can be confirmed within the confines of this discussion rather than everyone having to go to looking for it. Apparently there are some who feel they are above reproach and are not to be questioned though.....

Back