Fancy Scales Thread. A CPK picture show

The finished work. Tony almost seems like he knows what he's doing ;)

Dare I say a little thunder and lightning while pointing to these instead of my underwhelming muscles?

A natural evolution combining the well thought out blade with the same in scales. What grit are those sanded to, I’m sure you can get lost looking into them.:eek:[/QUOTE]

A natural evolution combining the well thought out blade with the same in scales. What grit are those sanded to, I’m sure you can get lost looking into them.:eek:
[/QUOTE]

Martin,
Those are sanded to 400 grit. I use about a half a can of elbow grease on each one. If I am doing mosaic pins I go to 800 or 1000 grit. Then I have about 4 steps in the finishing, involving several coats of oil, buffing, then car wax on top of everything. This gives a nice, tactile feel, smooth but not too slick, but it is also easy to maintain with 0000 steel wool and more car wax if they ever need a quick clean up.

Hey all,
Let me clarify something, if I may. I get to share my hobby now and then in this sub forum and our gracious hosts have let me do so. I absolutely enjoy and support CPK and it has been a bit of a platform for my first hobby, woodworking. But I am not a maker/craftsman with the appropriate level of membership to actively solicit and advertise work.

Nathan and Jo are really, really cool about me doing what I do and sharing it here. I never know if a maker is going to be irritated by me riding their coat tails. CPK have been beyond awesome about this, and at times have even offered ideas and made helpful suggestions. I want my scales to complement their knives whenever possible. I so much appreciate them letting me show off here, now and then. And I appreciate this small community enjoying it as well. Thanks.

But again, no soliciting on my part. Thanks.

Last edited:
https://imgur.com/gallery/MtewjTL

Apologies for the poor photography.
Tony knocks it out of the park yet again with this stellar duo.
Thank you TRfromMT TRfromMT And the CPK team!
Those aren't bad looking scales by any means, but that Koa doesn't have that much movement in the grain, if you send a set to me I believe I can help you out with those,;) Beautiful work Tony!:eek:

qVkybPKl.jpg

W4PAHnsl.jpg

IfXDhUbl.jpg

Fso2m8il.jpg

For those of you who want to see an almost a side-by-side comparison of how much superior Nathan's African Blackwood is as compared to another maker's who also has a reputation and fame for offering very fancy handle scales:

vyKM74p.jpg

MsWWjuU.jpg

You may call me biased, but you must also call me right as I have the eye for beauty :p :D

Back