Fishing 2018

y1hyu.jpg

Awesome haul. I'm planning to go on fishing before the summer ends since I spent a lot of time fixing my old pickup and installing a new set of toyo tires and suspension lift kit.

I caught this 32 inch, 12 3/4 pound lake trout on a recent trip to Galbraith Lake in the Brooks Range in Alaska. It was taken on my six weight fly rod and an original fly pattern of my own, a streamer minnow tied with polar bear hair.

20180720-083107-XL.jpg

Caught this guy today- I am very surprised at the variety of fish in little retention pond by our house. So far I have caught Largemouth, Warmouth, Bluegill, Sunfish, Shiner, and have seen a large Carp of some sort. All in a pond that I can almost cast across in every direction.ZVqQNtY - Imgur.jpg

My father in law came up for the weekend and we fished some fresh, brackish and saltwater! We were pretty much out of luck, but he was plagued by tiny catfish, which was quite humorous!
IMG950712.jpg

@YorkshireBoy asked "Didn't know you had pike in the Mississippi River, how big was it and what did you catch it on? I'm from Yorkshire in northern England and my biggest river pike was 20lb, caught on a rapala super shad. Had one about 17lb on a tiny lucky craft Sammy lure as well, so sometimes biggish pike want small or large lures. All the best YB"

Wow, you are catching some monster ones. I am very jealous!

Yeah, they are in the Upper Mississippi. Not the greatest abundance around Minneapolis (according to the officials https://www.dnr.state.mn.us/areas/fisheries/eastmetro/rivers/pool2.html) but they are out there. I caught that one (post 73) on my 2nd fishing trip to the Mississippi. No idea how much it weighed, but that's a 12 inch fish grip if it helps. I used a crude, homemade popper/chugger/whatever (posts 75, 69, 67). I call it a "clonker" as it reminds me of clonking devices for catfishing. The one in post 75 is my biggest to date, caught it on the Minnesota River. Got into pike fishing maybe 3 years ago, fished lakes and ponds exclusively until recently.

btw, I cheated with the shoe. Although that is my shoe, it is not my size. :D

North corner of the Bohemian Flats Park and a bit upstream as well. Nice eddy there.

https://www.google.com/maps/@44.9773454,-93.2421796,223m/data=!3m1!1e3
Got it, my brother used to live a few blocks from there but he’s not a fisherman. It’s been a long time since I’ve caught anything in the Mississippi but growing up on the Wisconsin side we’d get out several times a year. Grandad would come back from Montana and take us when were kids just below the dam at Dubuque.

Back