Fishing 2018

My father in law caught this nice whiting yesterday morning and we fried it up to go along with our lunch. Fresh fish is always good!
Whiting or Mullet as they are called in NC are excellent table fare. They are also a ton of fun to catch on light rods. My favorite method is fishing for them using a double jig with the trailer jig being smaller than normally used for trout. Thanks for sharing the pic.

Whiting or Mullet as they are called in NC are excellent table fare. They are also a ton of fun to catch on light rods. My favorite method is fishing for them using a double jig with the trailer jig being smaller than normally used for trout. Thanks for sharing the pic.

Hmmm... mullet here are a completely different fish than a Whiting! It would be awesome if you could post a pic or drawing of the rig you're talking about, as I can't seem to picture it in my head. I always like to try out new rigs and techniques!

This link probably explains it better than I could: https://www.lafishblog.com/how-to-tie-a-double-rig
I was taught by a friend who used to tie them for a local tackle shop. There are two things I do differently. I slip a small swivel onto the line and tie the initial loop so that I can tie onto the swivel not the line. I also use a loop knot on both jigs. This seems to help reduce tangles with the rig. Gulp bodies have been very productive when the fish are actively feeding.

That is very interesting info! It looks like what we catch down here is the Gulf Kingfish (menticirrhus littoralis).
I've been fishing the Outer Banks for 20 years or so and still see fish I'm not sure of. We got into a bunch of Ribbonfish one evening several years ago. I had never seen anything like them but they were a blast to catch

This link probably explains it better than I could: https://www.lafishblog.com/how-to-tie-a-double-rig
I was taught by a friend who used to tie them for a local tackle shop. There are two things I do differently. I slip a small swivel onto the line and tie the initial loop so that I can tie onto the swivel not the line. I also use a loop knot on both jigs. This seems to help reduce tangles with the rig. Gulp bodies have been very productive when the fish are actively feeding.

I am going to have to try this! Thanks for the info!

Unlucky bluegill from last year...wrong place at the wrong time.

30rw3f8.jpg

I got out fishing with a good friend and his son a few days ago and caught some nice Lake Michigan King salmon, 27.5# and 22.5#. The King salmon spawning run is one of my favorite times of the year to fish, it's just pure fun.fullsizeoutput_13f7.jpeg

Last edited:
D DB731 Nice fish, but I think we're going to need some explanation about that lure!
Bruce

ha ha ha ha

thank you!

Basically for the last 2-3 years, I try to look for fishing lure potential in everyday items, esp. stuff I can get on the cheap.

On that particular one, I took off a piece of toothbrush (to add weight), drilled a hole through it and inserted in the shark's mouth. Then, I just ran some SS leader wire through it and tied on both ends.

PS red Sharpie for good measure. Btw, pretty sure that's a 2/0 Eagle Claw hook.

ha ha ha ha

thank you!

Basically for the last 2-3 years, I try to look for fishing lure potential in everyday items, esp. stuff I can get on the cheap.

On that particular one, I took off a piece of toothbrush (to add weight), drilled a hole through it and inserted in the shark's mouth. Then, I just ran some SS leader wire through it and tied on both ends.

I love it!

I got to go fly fishing in the salt near Sitka Alaska for a week, we had some crummy weather but some good fishing. We were able to fly fish for 5 of the 6 days for ling cod, and rockfish in waters of up to 190 feet deep. We got limits everyday. Here's a few pics.

DSCF2551-XL.jpg

DSCF2552-XL.jpg

DSCF2553-XL.jpg

DSCF2555-XL.jpg

Back