1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Forum Knife Updates and comments

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by eisman, Jul 15, 2018.

1. afishhunter

afishhunter

Oct 21, 2014
    Not sure how Idaho has "none" ... I live in Idaho ...
    Hopefully mine is not one of the 9 going to Florida. (I have family there)

dc50 likes this.
  2. Camillus

Camillus Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 3, 2015
    Nice photo. I like those lines when the main is open. Pretty sure most people’s knives will have that feature.

mitch4ging likes this.
  3. rishma

rishma

Jun 22, 2008
    I didn’t order one but love what I am seeing! Gaps and imperfections are character in my book! This knife is my favorite size with my favorite two blades. Congrats to all! Please use and enjoy and don’t let imperfections distract you.

Shurke, blademan 13, hughd and 2 others like this.
  4. Old Hunter

Old Hunter Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 12, 2012
    I’ve never owned an elk scaled knife before (stag yes, elk no) - really liking the contrast between the bark and the smooth. OH

RDaneel, jmh33, dc50 and 1 other person like this.
  5. Prester John

Prester John Gold Member Gold Member

May 20, 2018
    Supposed to get mine Monday.

dc50, Gary W. Graley and r8shell like this.
  6. meako

meako Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 4, 2006
    Saturday delivery????
    Mongo no understand.
    We do need a new poll though....to decide if its too early to start polling yet.
    Harrumph harrumph.

dc50, pjsjr, sunnyd and 2 others like this.
  7. waverave

waverave Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jun 7, 2018
    It is a common misconception that California and NY state have strict knife laws.

WValtakis, Xr6x and Christiantrevor like this.
  8. Prester John

Prester John Gold Member Gold Member

May 20, 2018
    Mebbe it's gun laws we wuz thinkin' 'bout.

meako, Ulf Krogstad, JohnDF and 3 others like this.
  9. Ratbert

Ratbert Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 1, 2016
    Received mine today...will get some pics up later. Very light, almost smooth antler. At first I was a little disappointed in the lack of bark, but the more it handle it, the more I like it, as it is very different. Sides are very well matched.
    Nice 5.5 pull on the clip, but virtually no snap on closing, sorta like the secondary blades on GEC’s last #66 run, if you remember those. This may correct itself as the knife is used and gets opened and closed a bit.
    No gaps in the back (Buzzbait’s pics had me concerned!) and no blade play.
    Pretty sharp, but needs at least a stropping. Blade thickness seems about the same as my regular 301. I don’t have any calipers to measure them.
    Overall I’m pretty darned pleased, especially at the price point. :)

meako, dc50, Fodderwing and 4 others like this.
  10. TheFactor

TheFactor Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 26, 2015
    Got my pre shipment notice on Friday but still hasn’t hit the post office .
    I’m chomping at the bit here lol :)

11. waverave

waverave Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jun 7, 2018
    Yes sir :) Some of the worst by far in that case :thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown:

Anywho...seeing some real beauties in the photos I am getting excited to receive mine. I am thankful for whoever put the insert together I wish I could thank them for that directly.

pjsjr, Xr6x and Prester John like this.
  12. M.Hatch

M.Hatch

Apr 20, 2017
    I got mine today here in Kentucky and I have to say I am pleased. Thanks to all involved.

13. AlwaysTomboy

AlwaysTomboy

Jan 31, 2016
    Just got my shipping notice today. Excited, especially after seeing photos! :)

14. Amir Fleschwund

Amir Fleschwund Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Al, gotta like a guy who knows precision.
    All these other slackers with their whole numbers on blade pulls ... amateurs.

dc50, meako, Ratbert and 8 others like this.
  15. Ironbut

Ironbut Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 1, 2016
    Well, after being "in transit to the next facility" for five days mine has arrived at a regional postal distribution facility only 50 miles away. Maybe it'll get here tomorrow.......or more likely next week sometime.

16. bflying

bflying Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 4, 2014

Holy cow, only one person representing my state. I wonder who it is? :D

So no receipts of slips yet? Wonder what they look like.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
    meako likes this.
  17. oldtymer

oldtymer Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 7, 2014
    Nice to see that everyone should have their knives by Xmas.
    Got mine in yesterday, overall fit & finish vg, covers well matched, no severe gaps, pull a 4-5 on both blades.
    I am not a big fan of blade etching however the placement & size were done very well. I like it.
    I got one [email protected] very obtuse grind angle, very thick behind the edge, not very sharp.
    Overall considering how many dull ones I have received from GEC with lousy grinds I can fix this if I decide
    to carry it. This one has a good shot at becoming a SQ.

18. marsturm

marsturm Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 25, 2008
    I received my forum knives today. The scales are different on each knife, one is smooth and light in color, the other has more texture and contrast. Both are attractive and unique. I'm very pleased with them.

Prester John and afishhunter like this.
  19. akaMatt

akaMatt Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

May 10, 2017
    Got mine in. Been pondering it for a little while.
    - Overall knife is slender and seems like a nice pocket rider.
    - I really like the Elk, nice and thin, and matching thickness. The two sides aren't a perfect match, but no biggie, I like em both.
    - There are several decent gaps in the springs, but I could live with that, not the only knife I have with gaps.
    - Sheep blade is fairly centered, Clip leans way to the edge, almost touching the liner. Could live with that as well, probably, but seems related to the question below.

What I'm struggling with is it doesn't seem right at the end/pivot pins, and I'm wondering if that might cause any issues over time. There are significant gaps at both ends. The clip doesn't seem to be set straight, almost twisted, and pin is very visible to the center. The sheep is fairly straight, but pin is visible on both sides. In my mind this is not good fit and may cause loose blades over some time. Was looking for any input from some of you if this is a big deal or not.

Clip end:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sheep end:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Appreciate any input if I should just accept this, or possibly send it back in to be reset or tightened up.

meako likes this.
  20. OLd_gUY

OLd_gUY Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 20, 2018
    One vote for sending it in
    OG

biglmbass, Jack Black, hughd and 8 others like this.