funny things "non-knife guys" may say

Q: Hey, can I borrow your knife for a second?
A: No.

It normally goes a bit different for me:
Q: Hey, can I borrow your knife for a second?
A: Sure! /me hands over cheap SAK taken from pocket, NOT quality EDC they were watching closely
/(s)he: Sad Face
:D

I enjoy when people are curious about knives and i enjoy teaching people. The only thing i cant stand is people that think they know everything.
For example: "i could kill so many zombies with that thing"
a2dd867f40245b1ff1b131c79f816566_zpsd6478b04.jpg

While using a bench grinder: "Hey, want me to sharpen that knife for you?"

Wife, after looking at my zt566: "Elmax is a stupid name for a knife."

I life in California, here is a list of the knives I edc'd over the course of 13 or so years..... Spyderco Police, SOG Pentagon Elite II, Emmerson Persian, Spyderco Stretch, Delica, BM 710, That BM HK with the half alum-half rubbery grip, Benchmade Ambush, Spyderco Mili, Benchmade 940...
I rarely get a second look when I am wearing my knife but then again, I only take it out in public discretely. Most of the time people come up to me and ask me for my knife because they don't have the common sense to carry one on their own. My favorite part is when I flip it through all my fingers and then hand it to them... It is probably quite intimidating...
Those are my least favorite kinds of people in the entire world... Frustrates me to no end when people are that ignorant. I love hearing "Why would you ever need that?" in regards to guns and knives. I cant even imagine how infuriating it must be to live in California sometimes.

I was carrying my small Boker Plus Gnome today, my friend called it "cute". He asked if he could play with it. After a few idiotic swings at a tree, the Boker slipped out of his grip and took a bit off his elbow. He had to go the med center for bandages. At least I got some free condoms for the visit. What do people think we do with our knives?

Man you use that thing everyday. I bet it's dull as *explicative *

Actually I sharpen it. It'll shave my hair I bet.

No way

I proceed to push hair off of my Forearm, proving my point.

He responded by telling me he changed his disposable blade out every other day and asked me how someone can sharpen a knife.

I showed a friend my mini grip and he said "a $5 knife will stab somebody exactly the same":rolleyes: like I carry my knife trying to assasinate people or some s**t!?!?!?

Was in a meeting where we needed to hook the laptop up to the projector only the data cable was coiled up near the wall and zip tied. Guy asks me if I have a knife and I pull out my ZT0777 that I was carrying that day (I don't usually cut zip ties with a knife, but we didn't have anything else).

One guy looks at me and says, "How did you get that through the gate? YOUR THE GUY THEY'RE LOOKING FOR!"

I laughed and explained that when I went through the gate, the guard usually asks me about the dead bodies in the back. We laughed.

Still, non-knife people are a little unsettled when they see a sharp mid-sized knife. I mean, I don't consider the 0777 to be a big knife by any means. Not like the 0600, which I wasn't carrying that day (rarely carry it since it feels too big for me).

Funny 5 years ago I would never have guessed there was an entire community of people interested in the intricacies of knives and the fact they treat them like an important part of their every day lives. That's why I love this place.

The absolute worst experience I had with a non knife person was when a friend of my ex asked to see my brand new beautifully sharpened Buck 110 and proceeds to say "Wow that's beautiful, and sharp!" And then proceeds to jab the extremely fine tip repeatedly...into a *explicit* stone table...Worst day of this hobbyist's life.

Rather than start a new thread, I figured id do some necroposting.
At a restaurant today I was showing my friend my new Small Sebenza. He was kind about it when the waitress came over and he said:
"I'm just checking out his new knife. Hope you don't mind."
"Its OK with me. As long as you don't cut me with it."

Really?

I was at my friends house and his little cousin (10 years old) was there visiting. I was showing them my 0454 and explained how it was made of carbon fiber, and his cousin asked "don't they make Lamborghinis out of carbon fiber?" which I said "yes", and he replied "so that knife is made out of Lamborghinis?".

I couldn't help but laugh, but he's just a kid so I can't fault him.

"You can tell it's a high quality knife because it's a full tang. A good knife should be full tang."

Me

"... there's kind of a lot too it..."

Funny 5 years ago I would never have guessed there was an entire community of people interested in the intricacies of knives and the fact they treat them like an important part of their every day lives. That's why I love this place.

The absolute worst experience I had with a non knife person was when a friend of my ex asked to see my brand new beautifully sharpened Buck 110 and proceeds to say "Wow that's beautiful, and sharp!" And then proceeds to jab the extremely fine tip repeatedly...into a *explicit* stone table...Worst day of this hobbyist's life.
Ooouuuccchhh that right there would make a guy cringe. And punch him.

Back