Gearheads Unite: What do you drive or ride?

This "need" usually applies to your average car owner more than car/bike enthusiasts. The same kind of people who always need a bigger house, newer appliances, new TV, etc. To the superficial member of society, the above mentioned things are status symbols.

I think that a lot of people that are into their vehicles as more than just a "point A to point B" thing are more concerned with just keeping their vehicle running and entertaining as long as possible. Age of the car is more or less irrelevant to the enthusiast. If anything, older vehicles are more sought after to them, due to the lack of ready availability.

My point is, my mentality is that I'll drive my car till it either explodes or is no longer fun to drive and can't be improved upon further than it already has been. I drive a 10 year old car and am buying a 25 year old car in the near future, so my cars are actually getting older lol.

Totally agree. So whats in the pipeline - 25 yr old dream motor?

I know I'm a half page late, but gooeytek- that's easily the coolest wagon I've ever seen, possibly excluding David freiburger's Buick Electra from Roadkill :D

My daily driver is a 1984 Ford Ranger. 2.8 v6 and a 4 speed. Currently in the shop, Carb pulled apart and soaking in cleaner because the jest were completely clogged. Thats what I get for buying a $900 Ford :D
DSCN0925_zps917e8d65.jpg

Man that thing is a sweet looking Ranger! ;) I bet that red baby would leave my 2.5 diesel for dust!!!!

Prices keep going up. Pay is stagnant. Vehicles last longer than ever before. So the average age of cars on the road is older than ever before. It's hard to tell though because car designs don't change as much or as often; many five year old cars look identical to new ones.

My purchasing cycle:
1- Buy the best used car or truck that I can afford.
2- Drive it until there's nothing left
3- Repeat
:thumbup:

One lesson I've learned, never waste money on a vehicle that isn't exactly what I want. :grumpy:

Amen! Done plenty of dough on rubbish over the years :(

here's my old 4x4 daily driver after a rare cleaning.
it's a constant effort to keep it on the road.
'71 bronco, 408W, T-18, 33" MTs
rDw4QE1.jpg

Totally agree. So whats in the pipeline - 25 yr old dream motor?
Sort of.

When a car that wasn't sold in the U.S. turns 25, it becomes exempt from having to meet federal motor vehicle safety standards, as well a EPA standards (except in California and I believe Hawaii as well). This gives me the ability to legally have a 89 Nissan Skyline GT-R imported next month, but I'll be getting a 90 model next year instead. There are plenty of these cars already here legally through a specialized company that operated in the late 90s and early 2000s, and several others that are legally registered but were illegally imported initially. The problem this creates is that the legally imported ones that are younger than 25 years rarely sell, and never turn over for less than 35k. Then the illegal ones might be registered legally but since they were brought in illegally, they are in danger of being seized and crushed (although the occurrence of such events is uncommon, it does happen).

The long and short is, I'll be able to score my 25 year old GT-R for about 20-25k in the condition I want, next year. Legally too.

Last edited:
Sort of.

When a car that wasn't sold in the U.S. turns 25, it becomes exempt from having to meet federal motor vehicle safety standards, as well a EPA standards (except in California). This gives me the ability to legally have a 89 Nissan Skyline GT-R imported next month, but I'll be getting a 90 model next year instead. There are plenty of these cars already here legally through a specialized company that operated in the late 90s and early 2000s, and several others that are legally registered but were illegally imported initially. The problem this creates is that the legally imported ones that are younger than 25 years rarely sell, and never turn over for less than 35k. Then the illegal ones might be registered legally but since they were brought in illegally, they are in danger of being seized and crushed (although the occurrence of such events is uncommon, it does happen).

The long and short is, I'll be able to score my 25 year old GT-R for about 20-25k in the condition I want, next year. Legally too.

Ahh. I see. Interesting to know about the 25 yr old rule. Good luck in sourcing your grail!

2001 and still runs great!

Your BMW M5 is incredible! ///M Power is nothing to be messed with. You know BMW is truly the ultimate driving when they can build a big and heavy luxury sedan that can handle like a Ferrari on the track and keep up with a Lamborghini in a drag race.

Thanks man!

Currently driving a 2000 Ford Explorer XLT, touching a vintage(old) full dress 85 Yamaha Venture Royale. I'll see if I can dig up a pic.

Found a quick one.

L2ndSEd.jpg

Ben riding bikes since I was 5, had the only mini bike with a bored out 7 1/2 hp Tecumseh racing motor that touted out at 65mph, (my Old Man was a mechanic as an I) got my first motorcycle at 8 and have never looked back, been riding ever since, been riding 46 years and I don't see an end in sight.

I've ridden everything from crotch rockets to full dressers, British to German, dirt to sport, fastest bike was a Z1R Turbo, till I sat on a Busa. I'm lucky in that my wife met me I was riding and she would never stop me from climbing on a bike, she encourages me to go out when I'm a little stressed cause she knows it calms me down. :)

As far as cars go, my Old Man was a fleet mechanic for Shell Oil and I grew up in a salvage/junk yard for most of my life so working on and building cars and trucks is nothing new to me.

I've built hot rods, monster trucks, restored vintage cars, trucks and bikes so I've lived a blessed life when it came to wheels. Cars and bikes are fun but nothing beats a D9 for pure power and destructive ability, heavy equipment is another kinda fun. :)

Last edited:
Bigmark- your bikes are gorgeous man, wow!

Moxy- love the brz, great car. Yours looks especially good in white. How have you been enjoying it? Did you buy it new?

Bigmark - that trailer is as interesting as that bike. the front wheel brace is ingenious.

Englishrob - original color. Ford Forest Green

Leatherman - F.O.R.D. (Fix or Repair Daily)

Bigmark- your bikes are gorgeous man, wow!

Moxy- love the brz, great car. Yours looks especially good in white. How have you been enjoying it? Did you buy it new?

Thanks. Yeah I certainly like white the best. I did buy it new in August of last year. It took a bit of hunting around to find the specific package, color, and transmission that I wanted. There were flying off the lot then. I think they still are. It's a really fun car. It's not the most powerful car out there but it handles like a go kart, and the fuel economy is excellent. It's my daily driver so it's great that it's practical and fun to drive. Currently I have a TRD intake and a Perrin Catback exhaust installed. That's how it's going to stay for the foreseeable future.

OK, I'll bite---

2014 Subie XV "Paxat"
DSC01866_zpse64e9b03.jpg

DSC01969_zps93b70717.jpg

And a project, (old pic and not mine, it's changed a little) A 2005 CC "Vee Bike", it's almost up...
00f0f_d2iKe2x0FXr_600x450_zps4e0e5e89.jpg

00h0h_dQ0FvIbVEFH_600x450_zps848c245a.jpg

I've been having waaaay too much fun with Paxat lately...

Wish I was driving a Rubicon wrangler, but I drive a kia suv... surprisingly I get 30 mpg.

Bigmark - that trailer is as interesting as that bike. the front wheel brace is ingenious.

Englishrob - original color. Ford Forest Green

Leatherman - F.O.R.D. (Fix or Repair Daily)

How long have you owned it? Great ride man.

We're a three car family - his, his and hers.

2003 Corvette:
medium800.jpg

2014 Rubicon, lots of good things done to it:
medium800.jpg

2011 Pilot, the grocery getter. My wife loves her Pilot!:
medium800.jpg

Back