GEC #56 Dogleg Jack Spear

Dog legging some “Blues” spinning vinyl :D
xwDjBjU.jpg

Last edited:
I’ve got a 2 blade Appaloosa on the way, and waiting for notice on a 1 blade Appaloosa as well. Along with a stag 2 blade. Dang it never ends. I may have to let one go to keep the addiction funded. Lol.

Do you want some help with that? I’ve not shipped anything internationally in some years but I’d give it a go for you if you need someone.

Thanks very much,:cool: I may have to take you up on that. Don't worry, Intl.postage is dead simple - I'll advise you if necessary:)

Still hoping my dealer get's hold of a tranche of them:D

Regards, Will

Those are made from scrapped steel from war ships turned damascus. The wood is from the decks. Actually a cool story with each run, although a bit pricey.
Will blades made from scrapped steel hold an edge? Can these knives be used or are they for display?

Will blades made from scrapped steel hold an edge? Can these knives be used or are they for display?
I mean, scrapped war ships. Not exactly pot metal, I'm sure there are components made from many different kinds of steel used on warships and I'd think at least some of them are viable for a pocket knife. Makes me very curious as to the specifics, though (what kinds of steel, what components they were used for on the ship, the heat treat and hardness).

Edit: It seems like maybe it's steel from ships (anchor chains) plus cutlery steel used for the damascus in order to get a usable blade (ship steel alone not sufficient).

Last edited:
In my time on the porch I’ve seen three Fighting Ship releases. A Navy knife (obvious choice) a trapper and the bird dog. All have been absolutely beautiful examples and are truly one of a kind from both a historic and craftsmanship perspective. If Naval history and traditional cutlery are two of your passions then these are the knives for you. Pretty amazing to carry and use or display on your wall a knife made from materials salvaged from American Fighting Ships which served in two World Wars.

I’d imagine that the vast majority of these knives are displayed in the custom wooden wall cases that is included with the knife, but you could absolutely carry and use them as any other traditional. When I inquired a few years back I was told they are as strong as any other Damascus produced.

Here’s a blurb from the web regarding the steel-

“The recycled ship metal is usually too soft to be used for cutlery, so Richardson first sends the material to Devin Thomas of Panaca, Nevada, a knife maker and expert producer of Damascus steel. Thomas combines the salvaged ship metal with a harder grade of steel in a process that strengthens the metal and adorns the surface with decorative patterns reminiscent of wood grain, flowing water, or fingerprints”.

I once passed on an opportunity to pick up one of these Navy Knives on the exchange and have regretted it ever since.

Back