GEC #86 2021: Angus Jack, 2AB, Spring Street Barlow (BF Knife)

I am hoping to see some mods for these soon! the 86 has been a favorite of mine since I clapped eyes on them the other year, but they are definitely chunky as a two blade.
It's definitely not as chunky as carrying two knives. You get a bellied blade and a straight edge and one neat package. The single blade pocket knife defeats the unique characteristic of having two blades on one knife. You certainly have a fashionation in the mutilation of pocket knives Jack.

Had you asked me year ago I would have said NO to any knife with bone handles. However, this forum - the porch - has pulled me towards them and I'd come to really like the look of them. However, since I don't have any knives with bone handles I have no references or anything else to help me with this question except for you guys. For me, the Rust Orange on the #86 barlow seems like a quite light color. In terms of durability, how well will the color hold up should the knife be a user?

#861121 2AB Rust Orange Natural Bone (2).jpg

It's definitely not as chunky as carrying two knives. You get a bellied blade and a straight edge and one neat package. The single blade pocket knife defeats the unique characteristic of having two blades on one knife. You certainly have a fashionation in the mutilation of pocket knives Jack.

😂 sometimes they dont leave the shop floor to my liking. Bill had joked during the rendezvous that i'd have my sfa 86s modded before I even left Titusville. Which I said was possible to arrange as J jsdistin was present at the rendezvous.

I would like to have one of these, but I cannot beat the bots and flippers to arrange for one of these. I've put out feelers to a dealer I've worked with several times in the past, but have heard nothing back from him... :(

So for anyone out there using and carrying this absolute gem, what slips work!? I have a couple that I’ve carried 86s in before but the height closed with the main blade won’t fit in any of them. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

E
So for anyone out there using and carrying this absolute gem, what slips work!? I have a couple that I’ve carried 86s in before but the height closed with the main blade won’t fit in any of them. Any recommendations would be appreciated.
Exact same problem here, I’ve just been carrying it loosely for now.

I used the traditional pocket knives small slip for my 86 oil field jack, haven't put the 86 Angus in there yet, but should fit just fine.

Very happy to have scored one of these on the drop. I have no idea if I got a well done or medium rare. Will be a bit of a wait until I find out as.the trip down under is taking a lot longer these days.

I carry double bladed knives of the 86 or 73 size in a small GEC belt sheath. This allows the carry of a thinner knife such as a 38 Whittler or a 62 Pocket Carver in the front pocket. I use the sheath knife for regular EDC tasks, and the other for whittling. I have always carried knives in sheaths since the early 70’s starting with a Buck 110. Those were more of a low rider sheath, so I modified the GEC so that the top of the sheath rides about at the top of the belt height. Much more comfortable.
E68894-CB-5362-4385-BD83-2828-AE8-C742-D.jpg

I used the traditional pocket knives small slip for my 86 oil field jack, haven't put the 86 Angus in there yet, but should fit just fine.
Let me know. It’s not so much the width but the height that’s causing problems. Like a 93 in an 86s body.

Little too much time hitting refresh last week, apparently… but I got lucky with a couple drops and landed one of each, just so I’d know. These are so nice, my pics don’t do justice to the wood on these. Pulls are right on. My only complaint would be the tip of the sheep on the mid rare is angled slightly up. Won’t be an issue after a few sharpenings most likely, but it’s consistent with several of my other straight edge GECs, and I wish they’d take a bit more care in that area. The well done is virtually flawless.

They are a chunky knife for sure. However, one of my regular carries is a Buck 112, and these are somewhat smaller and lighter than that one, so no big deal there for me.

I’ll spend a little time with one soon (haven’t decided which one yet) and see how they feel in use!

View attachment 1643403
View attachment 1643404
View attachment 1643405

Both beautiful knives. :thumbsup:

I’ll be curious to see how many of these were made when they publish this year’s production totals. They sure seemed to go fast. I usually do ok if there’s a knife I really want, but I struck out all around on this run.

Back