Go Large--The BF Big Folder Thread

hcApn8X.jpg

The Frenzy is my fourth CS megafolder, and my most pocketable yet. (The others are the Voyager XL Vaquero, Ti-Lite VI, and Spartan.)

Sure, it's still big: 13.25" OAL, 5.5" blade, 6.75" handle. But the handle is thinner than my Griptilian's, and it only weighs 5.6 oz -- about the same as many of my EDC knives. Plus, because that weight is distributed over a larger area it feels lighter than 5.6 oz.

It's not notably wide, either; my average Spyderco, including the PM2 pictured below, is wider at its widest point when closed than the Frenzy. All that combines to create a titanic knife that's currently sitting unnoticed in my shorts pocket. :D

Ec62i43.jpg

I'm a big fan of jumbo Cold Steel knives, even the ones I find impractical -- but the Frenzy sits solidly on the practical side of the "practical / novelty" line for me. I genuinely wasn't expecting that!

One of the YouTube reviews of the Frenzy that I watched mentioned that if you've been considering a Ti-Lite VI, don't handle a Frenzy -- because you will want the Frenzy instead. They're different animals, and price points, but I completely agree. :thumbsup:

I've been eyeing the frenzy up for a long time. At the price point I can't right now but i will add it to my XL stable at some point. That is a nice knife, I really like the blue handle too.

"Dread it. Run from it. Destiny arrives all the same."

With the large Espada (5.5" blade, 7.25" handle, 9.2 oz.), I believe I've pegged my personal needle for the largest knife I can reasonably carry in jeans. :D

I suspect the XL Espada will fit, and I'd love to own one, but the large does more than just fit -- it's surprisingly pocketable. I can carry it alongside my usual RFP loadout: minimalist wallet, chapstick, and 1x18650 flashlight.

I don't know why I slept on getting an Espada for so long. Everything about this knife is superb. This and the Frenzy are my two favorite CS megafolders.

cpyLa0g.jpg

The Frenzy is my fourth CS megafolder, and my most pocketable yet. (The others are the Voyager XL Vaquero, Ti-Lite VI, and Spartan.)

Sure, it's still big: 13.25" OAL, 5.5" blade, 6.75" handle. But the handle is thinner than my Griptilian's, and it only weighs 5.6 oz -- about the same as many of my EDC knives. Plus, because that weight is distributed over a larger area it feels lighter than 5.6 oz.

It's not notably wide, either; my average Spyderco, including the PM2 pictured below, is wider at its widest point when closed than the Frenzy. All that combines to create a titanic knife that's currently sitting unnoticed in my shorts pocket. :D

Ec62i43.jpg

I'm a big fan of jumbo Cold Steel knives, even the ones I find impractical -- but the Frenzy sits solidly on the practical side of the "practical / novelty" line for me. I genuinely wasn't expecting that!

One of the YouTube reviews of the Frenzy that I watched mentioned that if you've been considering a Ti-Lite VI, don't handle a Frenzy -- because you will want the Frenzy instead. They're different animals, and price points, but I completely agree. :thumbsup:

Ever since I saw your post with the CS frenzy I've been intrigued, watching YouTube reviews of it, and now I think I must have one! I only own one mega folder currently but its for around the house as its pretty hefty (XL voyager). The frenzys cool looong blade yet its in a slim package and not too heavy imo considering the overall length. I really dig the layered 3D machined G10 scales and i think you mentioned on a post somewhere about carrying it in basketball shorts which pretty much sealed the deal for me so now I'm on the lookout for a deal on one! A big auction site has some nib for a tick over a hundo in s35vn as I doubt I'll find any secondhand so maybe that's the one to grab.

Ever since I saw your post with the CS frenzy I've been intrigued, watching YouTube reviews of it, and now I think I must have one! I only own one mega folder currently but its for around the house as its pretty hefty (XL voyager). The frenzys cool looong blade yet its in a slim package and not too heavy imo considering the overall length. I really dig the layered 3D machined G10 scales and i think you mentioned on a post somewhere about carrying it in basketball shorts which pretty much sealed the deal for me so now I'm on the lookout for a deal on one! A big auction site has some nib for a tick over a hundo in s35vn as I doubt I'll find any secondhand so maybe that's the one to grab.

Poke around and you'll find a major retailer with them for ~$110 as well.

The Frenzy is incredible. I hate to say it, but it kicked the Black Talon 2 and Spartan right out of my collection, which is rare. (In fairness, if the Frenzy didn't boot the Spartan, the large Espada would have.) The gym shorts thing isn't an exaggeration -- this is a thin knife with a slim profile, and it's so long that its weight is spread out such that it feels lighter than it is.

Heck, I can even choke up on it in Filipino grip and get my thumb halfway up the blade spine. That makes it surprisingly versatile as a utility knife.

Poke around and you'll find a major retailer with them for ~$110 as well.

The Frenzy is incredible. I hate to say it, but it kicked the Black Talon 2 and Spartan right out of my collection, which is rare. (In fairness, if the Frenzy didn't boot the Spartan, the large Espada would have.) The gym shorts thing isn't an exaggeration -- this is a thin knife with a slim profile, and it's so long that its weight is spread out such that it feels lighter than it is.

Heck, I can even choke up on it in Filipino grip and get my thumb halfway up the blade spine. That makes it surprisingly versatile as a utility knife.
I've been wanting a Frenzy for a while, my only hangup is that the blade stock looks thick behind the edge, and the "FRENZY" lettering on the blade makes me cringe.

I've been wanting a Frenzy for a while, my only hangup is that the blade stock looks thick behind the edge, and the "FRENZY" lettering on the blade makes me cringe.

I don't have a micrometer, but it certainly doesn't strike me as especially thin behind the edge. And amen on the font -- although in the context of how ludicrous, yet weirdly practical, the Frenzy is, I kind of like the font. :D

Back