Green Para2's are back

Ok I wave the white flag. I think you're taking this a little too harshly. .

Now who is taking it too harshly? Please don't get offended. It's all meant in good fun.

The only thing I can't figure out is why? Why do you and many others care about what other people are doing in the exchange? Why do you feel it's any of your business?

The way I see it, the people that have a hard time with flipping fall into 1 of 3 categories.

1. They are mad that they aren't flipping theirs for the same profit. The sore losers.
2. They are the busy body types that need to monitor everyone else's transactions.
3. They feel pissed that they missed out on a certain sprint model and want to punish someone for it. The entitled group that think they should always get their way.

But that's just the way that I see it. I have been active in many of these discussions and I have yet to understand the other side of the argument. Doesn't really matter anyway. I'm just a guy with a laptop and an opinion on a subject that get's people riled.

Now who is taking it too harshly? Please don't get offended. It's all meant in good fun.

The only thing I can't figure out is why? Why do you and many others care about what other people are doing in the exchange? Why do you feel it's any of your business?

The way I see it, the people that have a hard time with flipping fall into 1 of 3 categories.

1. They are mad that they aren't flipping theirs for the same profit. The sore losers.
2. They are the busy body types that need to monitor everyone else's transactions.
3. They feel pissed that they missed out on a certain sprint model and want to punish someone for it. The entitled group that think they should always get their way.

But that's just the way that I see it. I have been active in many of these discussions and I have yet to understand the other side of the argument. Doesn't really matter anyway. I'm just a guy with a laptop and an opinion on a subject that get's people riled.

No, not taking anything harshly. Just don't see the need for name calling or personal attacks in a minor disagreement on a knife forum. So I'm assuming I'm correct in my assessment of how the Exchange rules are to be interpreted? Because I've just yet to see anything otherwise saying that I'm wrong. If I'm wrong I'll gladly and shamefully take my lashings and move on. Whether it's enforced or not, that's not up to me either. And I've also yet to state whether I agreed or disagreed with the seller's intent of doubling his money. (I thought of buying one maybe to use, but possibly for trade bait later down the road..gasp! Lol) My first comment about this was something like "if you get some birthday money, there are some good deals on the exchange..sarcasm". My next comment was responding to one of yours where I stated what the rules say and that some people kinda appreciate when we all have to follow the same rules. If the guy wants to double his money (and bought with the intent to flip) on eBay then that's fine...I just stated what the rules say for our Exchange. I'm just one member, and everyone is free to agree or disagree.

Also, this is a discussion forum, and since clogging up sales threads with comments isn't allowed, it should be fair game to discuss flipping and providing examples of doing such. The issue isn't so much flipping...it's a free market...the issue is doing it here. It's up to someone else to decide whether it's a valid ad, and judging by that it's been up over 24 hours, it must be ok and I'm out of bounds here which is fine.

As far as missing out, I've actually sold my spare PM2's leaving myself with one (made a decision not to be a collector) and stated in another recent thread that the only sprint I might would buy is an M4 if it's ever made...I just love Spyderco M4.

Yes, please do not jam up someones sales ad. Especially if one disagrees on the price. Keep in mind, the folks that are buying for the sole purpose of flipping usually end up alienating themselves in short order. Greed is a bad trait to foster into a virtue, but to each his own.

The last thing I wanna do is perpetuate this argument, but I'm bored and can't help myself. I think it's pretty easy to understand why people don't like flipping of sprints. There are so few made, and a lot of people miss out on a knife they actually want because someone else snatched it first solely to profit from those of us who actually want to own one, but missed out for one reason or another. I'm thinking of about a dozen analogies from school bullies and mobsters to con men and big banks, but I'll spare the pity and just get to the point. It's greedy, selfish, and just not very nice. As far as I can tell it's not against any law, forum rule, Spyderco policy, or dealer policy. That doesn't make it any less sleazy.

And I say this as one of the lucky few who scored a piece of this run. It's my first PM2 and I'm so excited about it, it's the only thing I've carried since I got it on Thursday. And I feel even better about it because I didn't pay double the price for it like I almost did many a time, but thankfully my patience kicked in. Though I will say, I will be getting a Southard and that will introduce redundancy in my collection and I don't like that. Plus green was never my color. I always wanted the neato 20CP sprint, so maybe if I ever get one of those to replace this one...well...let's just say I'll keep the little guys in mind.;)

Last edited:
On another note, here's my reaction so far to this knife:

Again, my first PM2. I love my Military, though sometimes the handle can be a little cumbersome. This knife definitely solves that. It fits my hand just as well as you all have been saying for years, yet still has a big enough blade to not make me miss my Military too much. Still an awesome slicer, and of course I've got this fancy 204P which, being basically an American M390, should be one of the most stain resistant steels outside of the nitrogen alloys, no? Always a plus.

The only thing that I'm still working on with this knife is the compression lock. It's my first time using one and if I'm not paying attention, my thumb still sometimes goes for a liner lock that is just not there. Though I find the compression lock a little less one-handed, I think I like it.

As for my particular knife, it's a great piece. It's put together flawlessly, none of the little issues I've seen a couple others mention which actually had me worrying before I got it. Mine is the most dead centered knife I've received, which makes me very concerned about touching the pivot. I want to loosen it ever so slightly, but I don't want to throw off the centering. Maybe I'll try some lube first.
DSC_0538.jpg

Overall great knife, worth the wait, and I finally see what the hype is about. Happy to finally be part of the club.:D

Last edited:
^^^ Lube it and give it some break in time and it will smooth out for you. Congrats, mine came perfect as well!

The last thing I wanna do is perpetuate this argument, but I'm bored and can't help myself. It's greedy, selfish, and just not very nice. That doesn't make it any less sleazy.

Last post!

I can agree with your post, but I feel those negative attributes you listed above reflect the attitude of those that choose to flame the people selling their property for a profit, possibly a little more than those doing the selling. On the analogy side, I envision those that feel like they deserve to get any and every knife they want like a Gollum, stroking each and every knife in their collection saying my precious. If you take one of their precious's away from them, they will figuratively bite your finger off. - Nerd points for the Lord of the Rings reference. ;).

I really don't have a dog in this fight. I could have ordered from this second run to flip it for profit, but I chose not to. I also have my green P2 from the first run. The topic this time around doesn't really pertain to me. But like you, I am bored and enjoy a good argument.

On the analogy side, I envision those that feel like they deserve to get any and every knife they want like a Gollum, stroking each and every knife in their collection saying my precious. If you take one of their precious's away from them, they will figuratively bite your finger off. - Nerd points for the Lord of the Rings reference. ;).

Hah I understand that as well. I do not even own a safe, let alone safe queens. I buy knives cuz I wanna use them. Cuz cutting stuff is fun. I don't really like seeing pics of every PM2 sprint pristine on top of their boxes (unless it's a sale thread) for the same reason I don't like flippers having them. Knives should be used and enjoyed.

Though now I think about it, who the hell do I think I am? Deciding who can and can't have a knife. Get over yourself, Payne. No more arguing. More pictures!
PM2.jpg

I already posted this pic elsewhere, but I like this one.

3. They feel pissed that they missed out on a certain sprint model

I don't have any problem saying that I fall into this group. Internet forums are usually for people who are enthusiasts and passionate about something. I've found that we have people here who don't really care at all about knives, they are just doing this for the money. I think if a company is going to make a limited amount of an interesting product, they should go to enthusiasts and not to people who want to just make a buck.

People defend flipping by saying they aren't breaking laws or whatever. Well there are a lot of things that people do that we look down upon that aren't illegal, so I don't find that to be much of an argument.

My preorder of the Spyderco Para Military 2 Dark Green G-10 Handles, CTS-204P Full Flat Ground Blade, (Knifeworks Exclusive) got shipped today! :):thumbup:

Same here--just got message telling me Para2 CTS-204P was shipped! Hope that tax return comes in time to pay CC bill

Same just saw my e-mail! *happy dance happy dance*...ok...now that thats out of my system...

I just add people to my ignore list who are constantly reselling

I didn't see Knifeworks or any other Bladeforums dealers on your list. All they ever do is resell knives for evil profit. Why is it that resellers you buy from are good, but resellers that other people buy from are bad? A better question - which never gets directly answered - is why it is any of our business what other people do with their knives. So I'll give an answer: its not. Rock on.

The flipping thing is way out of hand. It's one thing to make 10% for a "finder's fee" but when you're going beyond 20%, it's insane to me. First, you have people who order multiples (even if a store has rules about it, they'll go around it) just for profit, then you have those who try to justify buying a knife a fellow knife enthusiast could use by saying 'supply and demand, brah!' which is both parts ignorant and rude. Rude, because this is a hobby and we should have the common decency to look out for one another and ignorant because Sal and some makers release products at fair prices because they don't want to alienate customers and want to provide maximum value. They aren't being greedy because they know they can get more money but still don't raise the prices. So for those who see it as an 'opportunity' it says a lot about their character. (Hmm...my elderly neighbor desperately needs something from the store, I'll buy all of it up and raise the price to sell it to her! Yeah, same thing.) A lot of what causes this flipping problem with customs are ignorant people with too much money on their hands buying knives they think they 'should' have because others say they need one. So an exclusive style knife becomes bragging rights. Now we have new makers capitalizing on this level of ignorance and selling knives with N690, D2, and other average quality steels for a thousand dollars or more. Very little thought into how a knife works as a tool. It all works together, as you can see, and it's up to everyone to call BS when people bully fellow hobbyists. My opinion, at least.

The flipping thing is way out of hand. It's one thing to make 10% for a "finder's fee" but when you're going beyond 20%, it's insane to me. First, you have people who order multiples (even if a store has rules about it, they'll go around it) just for profit, then you have those who try to justify buying a knife a fellow knife enthusiast could use by saying 'supply and demand, brah!' which is both parts ignorant and rude. Rude, because this is a hobby and we should have the common decency to look out for one another and ignorant because Sal and some makers release products at fair prices because they don't want to alienate customers and want to provide maximum value. They aren't being greedy because they know they can get more money but still don't raise the prices. So for those who see it as an 'opportunity' it says a lot about their character. (Hmm...my elderly neighbor desperately needs something from the store, I'll buy all of it up and raise the price to sell it to her! Yeah, same thing.) A lot of what causes this flipping problem with customs are ignorant people with too much money on their hands buying knives they think they 'should' have because others say they need one. So an exclusive style knife becomes bragging rights. Now we have new makers capitalizing on this level of ignorance and selling knives with N690, D2, and other average quality steels for a thousand dollars or more. Very little thought into how a knife works as a tool. It all works together, as you can see, and it's up to everyone to call BS when people bully fellow hobbyists. My opinion, at least.

Your neighbor needs.....you don't need a green para 2. Not the same thing. Get off your soapbox....not getting a knife you want sucks, but to flip out like this is too much.

Back