Gso 8

My humble suggestion:
Cpm 3v ( of course)
8.25 inch blade with choil 2 inch wide 0.20 thick
Longer and down swept handle

Perfct intermediate chopper and do-it-all knife

If you can "do it all" with that, I seriously applaud you. No disrespect but what are you gaining with a 2" wide blade over a 1.75" wide blade? All you're doing is losing maneuverability and adding weight. My old ESEE's were 3/16" thick and batonned more wood than most people have done combined, I'd bet on it. That thickness was great for batoning, still sliced plenty good, and was strong enough to take whatever I threw at it. If you're looking for something just to process wood with, I'd be inclined to suggest an axe, hatchet, or splitting maul paired with a folding saw.. Much more calorie efficient.

Having a long handle and long, wide, thick blade isn't conducive with being able to do smaller stuff so having the choil is kind of pointless.. Waste of machining cost and time at that point.

What do I know? Maybe I'm crazy.

It looks like the knife yo are looking for is the new 7/7
I think the gso 8 should be a more compact gso 10 rather than a slightly longer 7/7
I agree that 3/16 would be acceptable
A 2 inch wide blade with a choil would shift the blance forward and make it a pretty good chopper

I'm gonna leave the design process to Guy, he's the expert. Although while we're coming up with fun ideas, a GSO smatchet?!

Drow, I own a NMSFNO and it chops way better than I could have imagined for a blade that size. I think the GSO 8 could be even better with a 90 spine and a more down swept handle.
I'm no artist but here is a rough idea of what I dream the GSO8 could look like.
Feel free to add your input/comments

That's a good looking knife. I would love to see it in the .25 inch range, but I would be a buyer either way.

I'd prefer a more dropped point similar to the GSO-10's, also a blade heel that extends forward beyond the guard and the pommel to facilitate use on a cutting board.

Holy cow, this thread has been busy! I apologize for any absence in this discussion, things have been pretty busy. That aside, I also wanted to finish up my interpretation of this design before really contributing. I have a rough draft completed now and since this is a "customer request" driven design, I wanted to see what you guys and girls think of it. Right off the bat let me apologize to the choil haters, yes it has a finger choil. The handle is really forward swept though, so it doesn't take up a ton of real estate. For various reasons I find finger choils useful on a large blade.

Since people wanted a "do it all" knife in a smaller package than the GSO-10, I chose to pull some design elements from both the GSO-7/7 and the GSO-10, for a design that I think should be pretty capable in any arena. Like the GSO-10, the GSO-8 concept has a cutting line that is well below the handle. This should make it very useful for food prep or other cutting tasks where you might be cutting on a flat surface. (Side note, I just finished up the 2015 GSO-10 and holy hell is it going to be gorgeous) The GSO-8 concept has a blade length of, you guessed it, 8" and a blade height of 1.75". To be useful for batoning and hard chopping I'm thinking of a blade thickness of .190". The height of the saber grind would still provide good cutting efficiency. I opted for no jimping on this concept. The design could pull double duty as a food prep knife and knowing how most people hold cooking knives, I thought jimping would be uncomfortable.

So here is what I've come up with so far, fire away.

2015-05-15 20.22.27.jpg

I'll say up front that right now I do not have any plans of making this knife. It turned out to be a pretty neat design but unless I know the interest is there, it will remain a concept.

That is one heck of a design there! I have done away with all of my knives in the 5-7 inch range. Just using a GSO 3.5 and a SYKCO 711 these days. This would for sure be a "must have" if it ever went into production.

No offense but not what I was hoping for. Was hoping for more of a 8 inch camp/chopper design. Same as the 10 with an 8 inch blade. This is too much like the 7/7. BTW loving that GSO 12 and waiting for the next run of 10's!

Very cool! Thanks, Guy, for the privileged information.

It does look awesome. And now you have me really interested in the updates to the 10!

Back