Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

Made by A. Wright of Sheffield for Jack Adams. Nice, dark, Rosewood on this one.

XQ95Not.jpg
I am very biased towards wood, and that is some nice Rosewood.:thumbsup:.

I'm sure I've read of the eggshell ploy somewhere, but I can't find it offhand. I definitely saw it in the My World and Welcome to It episode where their new cook was afraid of electricity. Based on Thurber cartoons. I'll have to google for the actess who played William Windom's wise and compassionate wife.
j0FQpUP.jpg

This JoC recommends not putting a lightly beaten egg to clarify the coffee, because it impairs the flavor of the coffee.
Kephart says that only a few old timers now take the trouble to roast and grind their coffee "berries" with a frypan and a pistol-butt.

I'm with the Joc! :D I was once camping as a teenager, when one of my companions used the water he had boiled an egg in to make coffee :eek: Predictably, it was absolutely disgusting o_O

The card had me worried for a second, Jack! Had to go check the calendar... :) Didn't miss it, still have 2 more months.

Sorry Mike! :eek::oops: The card is actually from a couple of years ago my friend. We were in our first lockdown last year, and my birthday was a bit of a non-event. I remember saying that at least it wasn't my 60th :rolleyes: A year on, not a lot has changed here, apart from that the death-rate is even higher than it was last year :( :thumbsup:

Thanks Jack! It was a great time. I love South Lake Tahoe it's always nice to get up there. It's just a quick trip up the "hill" lol.

Here's some pics from a walk we went on.
OHVZcNR.jpg

Bp9RnJV.jpg

eoDlL4a.jpg

jKZNZD5.png

Pretty sad there was really no measurable snow at lake level. I'm glad it snowed the last night we were there and more storms stacked up in the Pacific that are supposed to dump more in the mountains.

Thank you for sharing those beautiful photos Taylor :) I hope you can get back there soon buddy :) :thumbsup:

True enough, in my experience their QC is rather shoddy and I have the feeling the blade thickness varies ever so slightly but I didn't measure to confirm that. Even so, they make an (somewhat)acceptable knife that takes a good edge and they seem to be among the last using carbon steel for their blades.
Wishing all a good day, stay healthy.

Sadly, they are the very last of the Sheffield cutlery firms to be making carbon steel pocket knives :( :thumbsup:

Latest herd

View attachment 1496810

Jack Black Jack Black

Could not get a clean shot of my first Lamb Foot knife. The other jigged ?bone? is C E Slinn & CO. It has brass bolster and steel or nickel silver liners.Open is about 8-9, snap close. The cover on the mark side is short of the bolster. The mark side pins arre a bit proud of the cover. The pile side is a bit proud of the cover.The mark side cover has a crack from the first pin. The spring is level open and closed. The blade, both sides, shows hand sanding marks and is not a polish.

Nice collection Mel :) The bolsters will be nickel silver rather than brass (see my prior post), and I don't think the liners will be nickel silver. A lot of traders sand the blades of old knives unfortunately, to 'clean them up', it's a stupid practice o_O

Have found the following:
Charles Edward Slinn (1880-1955) was a spring knife cutler, who was born in Sheffield, the son of Charles Slinn and his wife, Sarah. Charles Sen. was a brass turner and tape measure maker from Hathersage. Given the family’s address in Sheffield (Pearl Street), it seems likely that he worked for Chesterman’s, the renowned measuring tape manufacturer.

By 1911, Charles Edward was a spring-knife cutlery manager. In the early 1920s, he started his own firm, which was listed as C. Slinn & Co, spring knife manufacturer, Fitzwilliam Lane. It operated at that address until the early 1950s.

Charles Edward Slinn, of 40 Rosedale Road, died on 22 July 1955, leaving £934

Well researched Mel :thumbsup: My great grandparents lived in Pear Street, and my grandmother was born there. My great grandmother and grandmother worked at Chesterman's (as did other members of my family). I don't know if my great grandfather ever worked there, he was a foreman at Thomas Ward's prior to being killed in WW1. Fitzwilliam Lane is not far from there, close to the city centre. Rosedale Road is a little further out, small terraced houses on one side of the street, slightly larger terraced houses on the other side. A respectable, working-class area. One of my daughters lives just round the corner on the next street :)

Well come on, release, don't keep us wondering:rolleyes:, what sort of pie?:p.

Sorry mate! :D Mince and onion! :D :thumbsup:

Finally finished my hand sewn belt. That was a long time coming but it got done.
20210124-153916.jpg

Well done, that's some nice work :) :thumbsup:

LOL! :D Brilliant George! :D :cool: :thumbsup:

Good morning Guardians, I hope everyone had a pleasant Sunday, and that your week gets off to a good start. We had a heavy frost overnight, but it has mostly gone now. Pocketing my Hartshead Barlow, came across the vintage tin on a market stall, it's actually full of green gunk! :eek: :D :thumbsup:

OiRhcws.jpg

I'm with the Joc! :D I was once camping as a teenager, when one of my companions used the water he had boiled an egg in to make coffee :eek: Predictably, it was absolutely disgusting o_O

Sorry Mike! :eek::oops: The card is actually from a couple of years ago my friend. We were in our first lockdown last year, and my birthday was a bit of a non-event. I remember saying that at least it wasn't my 60th :rolleyes: A year on, not a lot has changed here, apart from that the death-rate is even higher than it was last year :( :thumbsup:

Thank you for sharing those beautiful photos Taylor :) I hope you can get back there soon buddy :) :thumbsup:

Sadly, they are the very last of the Sheffield cutlery firms to be making carbon steel pocket knives :( :thumbsup:

Nice collection Mel :) The bolsters will be nickel silver rather than brass (see my prior post), and I don't think the liners will be nickel silver. A lot of traders sand the blades of old knives unfortunately, to 'clean them up', it's a stupid practice o_O

Well researched Mel :thumbsup: My great grandparents lived in Pear Street, and my grandmother was born there. My great grandmother and grandmother worked at Chesterman's (as did other members of my family). I don't know if my great grandfather ever worked there, he was a foreman at Thomas Ward's prior to being killed in WW1. Fitzwilliam Lane is not far from there, close to the city centre. Rosedale Road is a little further out, small terraced houses on one side of the street, slightly larger terraced houses on the other side. A respectable, working-class area. One of my daughters lives just round the corner on the next street :)

Sorry mate! :D Mince and onion! :D :thumbsup:

Well done, that's some nice work :) :thumbsup:

LOL! :D Brilliant George! :D :cool: :thumbsup:

Good morning Guardians, I hope everyone had a pleasant Sunday, and that your week gets off to a good start. We had a heavy frost overnight, but it has mostly gone now. Pocketing my Hartshead Barlow, came across the vintage tin on a market stall, it's actually full of green gunk! :eek: :D :thumbsup:

OiRhcws.jpg
Green gunk?:eek: What do you think it is?o_O One of Ed Pinaud's concoctions? Maybe a copy of the Frenchman's stuff eh?:D Jack, your HHB looks fit as a fiddle.:thumbsup:
Rained last night. Overcast here and getting more chilly I'm afraid but as long as it stays dry outside I'm OK with it all. On damp days that I'm planning on being out I try to carry one of my stainless steel knives. I have learned that if I carry any of my carbon steel knives on wet days that they end up with a coating of rust on them:eek::mad:. Keeping them oiled and in a slip helps:thumbsup:.
Hope you have a great day and a good upcoming week.:D

Green gunk?:eek: What do you think it is?o_O One of Ed Pinaud's concoctions? Maybe a copy of the Frenchman's stuff eh?:D Jack, your HHB looks fit as a fiddle.:thumbsup:
Rained last night. Overcast here and getting more chilly I'm afraid but as long as it stays dry outside I'm OK with it all. On damp days that I'm planning on being out I try to carry one of my stainless steel knives. I have learned that if I carry any of my carbon steel knives on wet days that they end up with a coating of rust on them:eek::mad:. Keeping them oiled and in a slip helps:thumbsup:.
Hope you have a great day and a good upcoming week.:D

Some sort of hair grease from the 1930's! :eek: The afternoon sun bombed my shot! o_O

QxNG7df.jpg

A quick search reveals there seems to be quite a bit of it still around :rolleyes:

That's strange about the rust Bill, pretty wet most of the time here, but I never seem to get rust on my knives. I wonder why that is? :confused:

Have a great day Bill :) :thumbsup:

Last edited:
I bought a free-standing kitchen-unit a few years back, with a long counter about 8 ft long, and drawers and shelves beneath. It's been really useful, and one corner of it has become my regular photo spot, since the light is usually not bad there (not at the moment unfortunately). However, I've just noticed what a mess I've made of the pine. I'm fairly careful, and knives don't weigh much, but maybe it's from the times when I was photographing all those piles of Lambsfoot knives :eek:

LxiM4BQ.jpg

88tWVmc.jpg

Texture is
I bought a free-standing kitchen-unit a few years back, with a long counter about 8 ft long, and drawers and shelves beneath. It's been really useful, and one corner of it has become my regular photo spot, since the light is usually not bad there (not at the moment unfortunately). However, I've just noticed what a mess I've made of the pine. I'm fairly careful, and knives don't weigh much, but maybe it's from the times when I was photographing all those piles of Lambsfoot knives :eek:

LxiM4BQ.jpg

88tWVmc.jpg
Texture is good.
Not that there's any to speak of in my picture:
lgGWhia.jpg

LxiM4BQ.jpg

88tWVmc.jpg
What a beautiful flock! Thank you for posting this picture.

“I don’t want PAP! I’m a Dapper Dan man!” ;) :D

LOL! :D Dapper Dan was the first thing I thought of when I saw it Barrett :D :thumbsup:

What a beautiful flock! Thank you for posting this picture.

Thanks B brewbear , that's the first batch of 2019 Guardians Lambsfoot knives :) :thumbsup:

Good morning Guardians, hope everyone is doing well :) Thought I'd carry my Charlie Lamb today ;) Have a good day Guardians :thumbsup:

kBzuS0P.jpg

Back