Hap40 Caly 3 ?

BHQ & KW had them in stock earlier. Looks like they're all gone now, though.

Who did, CS?
That is really crappy

Yep. Jeff said that they put the knife up for sale after hours with no one to monitor the sales. It sucks but I kind of figured it was too good to be true considering they we still "in stock" for longer than 30 minutes. I've heard that CS has great customer service and don't plan to hold a grudge or anything like that. I do think it is pretty easy to program a website to enter in an amount of a product and have it go "out of stock" once that number sells. It seems tedious and problematic that they would manually "out of stock" items once they sell out.
On the bright side, my Hap40 Stretch came in today. Out of the probably 30+ Spydies I've owned, this is definitely right there at the top for me. The ergos on the Stretch are outstanding. I love the blade shape and fairly thin blade stock. Almost all of my Spyderco knives I have owned have had G10, so the FRN is really a nice change of pace. I love the orange and the fact that it won't tear up my pants as bad. This is my first venture into Hap40, so I can't wait to try the steel out. I'm actually really thankful that I haven't landed a Clay Sprint yet. I honestly don't think I would have picked this baby up if I had.

Jeff at Cutlery Shoppe is a great guy. I've been doing business with him for years. He would never intentionally mislead, or "oversell" a product. I was fortunate to get a sprint Caly 3 from CS as well. I know he is consumed with getting his new website up and running. He has apologized for the error, and I'll gladly be doing business with him in the future.

Pre-ordered mine from KC on January 4. I thought that was pretty early in the pre-order cycle. Anyway, I wondered what was going on with these since many people seem to have them in hand already. So, I emailed KC Customer Support. Here's what I got back:

"These are gradually trickling in from the manufacturer. They're filling preorders on a first-come, first served basis, but I don't have a scheduled delivery date for the item unfortunately. It is beyond our control, but we will absolutely keep you notified as they become available."

Jeff at Cutlery Shoppe is a great guy. I've been doing business with him for years. He would never intentionally mislead, or "oversell" a product. He has apologized for the error, and I'll gladly be doing business with him in the future.
Frankly, this is not good enough. Jeff need to improve his operations. It is nice that he apologized. But I would hate to get apology instead of ordered knife

There is an Ebay seller who just posted 10 available for the MAP price. (I have no association or relationship to the seller)

I have bought quite a few knives from the seller and never had any issues.

Pre-ordered mine from KC on January 4. I thought that was pretty early in the pre-order cycle.

Pre-orders for this started November 18, 2016. Early for this one would've been that same day or maybe a day or two after.

Not sure if anyone knows. Has there ever been a 1200 qty run of any knife all sold out on pre-orders? How many times does that happen?

Not sure if anyone knows. Has there ever been a 1200 qty run of any knife all sold out on pre-orders? How many times does that happen?

I don't think it's possible outside of a dealer exclusive and I don't think that's happened. I've seen posts from Spyderco about their distribution. iirc, they make a commitment to distribute runs equitably amongst their network. Afaik, not all dealers even offer pre-orders. ;)

Could be wrong, but it's hard to imagine these going anywhere as quickly as something like a Para2, and even those you usually have a decent shot without pre-orders if you're paying attention.

I don't think it's possible outside of a dealer exclusive and I don't think that's happened. I've seen posts from Spyderco about their distribution. iirc, they make a commitment to distribute runs equitably amongst their network. Afaik, not all dealers even offer pre-orders. ;)

Could be wrong, but it's hard to imagine these going anywhere as quickly as something like a Para2, and even those you usually have a decent shot without pre-orders if you're paying attention.

That makes sense. I didn't think about dealers not offering pre-orders.

There is an Ebay seller who just posted 10 available for the MAP price. (I have no association or relationship to the seller)

I have bought quite a few knives from the seller and never had any issues.

And Gone. He sold 10 within a couple hours, I think.

Oh' well, maybe I'll pick one up if dealers get more. I keep buying knives with money that should go to restocking some sharpening supplies. Stones are shot. Sharp Maker needs replacing.

And Gone. He sold 10 within a couple hours, I think.

Oh' well, maybe I'll pick one up if dealers get more. I keep buying knives with money that should go to restocking some sharpening supplies. Stones are shot. Sharp Maker needs replacing.
It really pisses me off that someone bought 5 of them and on another auction someone bought 6 of them. Give people a chance to buy one! Damn profiteering/scalping..

It really pisses me off that someone bought 5 of them and on another auction someone bought 6 of them. Give people a chance to buy one! Damn profiteering/scalping..

I bought exactly one because I have not yet tried HAP40 and I like the Caly3 platform. It took me several attempts before I was able to score it just a day or two ago, so I have not yet received it. And I was looking forward to using and carrying it. Still...if you are really that upset about what other people do...

pay me the original price for my knife that I got from BHQ plus actual shipping to you and I will put your address on my unopened box when I get it and drop it back in the mail. At the end of the day, it's just a knife and I have others. IMHO, it's just not worth being upset over. I will look for another with of course no guarantee that I will get one, but at least I was able to do something nice for someone, which happens all to infrequently in this world.

Let me know here in this thread what you want to do asap please. I don't want to sit on an unopened box when it comes on Tuesday.

It must be nice being perfect.
Nobody is perfect. And always room for improvement. All I said that Jeff need to improve his operations. This is not racket science. Just proper software. Spend some money and improve customer satisfaction. Improve customer satisfaction and get more business, so you pay for software and enjoy whatever left. it is called good business practice.
I would never again buy from a dealer, who took my my order and than deliver apologies instead of the order. This is just not reliable service.

CS seems to be migrating to a new web platform right now, so hopefully the new system works better for all.

Back