HI wood shipment thread

For those of us who don't have enough other things to worry about, here's a link to a web site that lists many kinds of wood and their reported toxicities. Of course that can't take into account variations in sensitivity from one person to another.

http://www.wood-database.com/wood-articles/wood-allergies-and-toxicity/

I see that cocobolo is right up there with four stars, along with several varieties of rosewood.

From what little I understand about allergic reactions, a latent allergy can be triggered by excessive exposure, and that once you have an allergic reaction to something you are more likely to react to it thereafter. Small scale work, as in sanding knife handles, is less likely to cause a problem than larger scale work such as cabinetmaking or resawing wood in a lumber yard.

I've never had a reaction to sawdust myself but there was a time about ten years ago when I used to get a flareup of low back pain whenever I applied a coat of varethane to a piece of wood. I had to work quickly and get out of the room. The pain would subside in a few minutes, so there was a definite causal relation. And no, I wasn't bending over to apply the varethane. It was definitely the fumes.

are their any respirators that are good enough to work with this stuff? could we raise money for a kami vent hood? :D I would be a pretty bummed out if I killed a kami with exotic wood allergies.

first shipment heads to reno next week.

will have

2x2x24 purple heart squares -4
2x2x18,1.5x1.5x18 red heart - 2,2
various small boards of camatillo - 3 (1x3x24,2x4x36,1x3x24)
2x2x24 camatillo squares- 4
1.5x1.5x24 burmese rosewood

this is already almost 50 lbs lol -- I am going to squeeze in several small pieces of the good stuff like gaboon ebony , desert ironwood, pink ivory, mahoe etc -- but this will probably be the first load, second shipment I will tell everyone about so you can have one more chance to get some wood over there-- as I will break into two shipments because of necessity. most of the small stuff you will see as karda and chakma handles I think because of the small amount-- maybe one good bashpati or something, have no idea what will be done with this other than my specific order.

as you can see the vast majority will be mexican kingswood, a purple/brown ironwood; I think everyone will like it.

Last edited:
Good luck getting the kamis to work with respirators or a vent hood. However, it might not be an issue:

The kamis already work with satisal, which is Dalbergia latifolia, a variety of rosewood, so any allergies would have appeared long ago.

According to a wikipedia article, D. latifolia is also know by these names: Bombay blackwood, East Indian rosewood, Indian palisandre, Indian rosewood, Irugudujava, Java palisandre, Malabar, Sonokeling, Shisham, Sitsal, Satisal

are their any respirators that are good enough to work with this stuff? could we raise money for a kami vent hood? :D I would be a pretty bummed out if I killed a kami with exotic wood allergies.

first shipment heads to reno next week.

will have

2x2x24 purple heart squares -4
2x2x18,1.5x1.5x18 red heart - 2,2
various small boards of camatillo - 3 (1x3x24,2x4x36,1x3x24)
2x2x24 camatillo squares- 4
1.5x1.5x24 burmese rosewood

this is already almost 50 lbs lol -- I am going to squeeze in several small pieces of the good stuff like gaboon ebony , desert ironwood, pink ivory, mahoe etc -- but this will probably be the first load, second shipment I will tell everyone about so you can have one more chance to get some wood over there-- as I will break into two shipments because of necessity. most of the small stuff you will see as karda and chakma handles I think because of the small amount-- maybe one good bashpati or something, have no idea what will be done with this other than my specific order.

as you can see the vast majority will be mexican kingswood, a purple/brown ironwood; I think everyone will like it.

Anyone know what's up with Gehazi now listed as Banned?
He's one of the most solid supporters of HI, the kamis, and Yangdu.

Anyone know what's up with Gehazi now listed as Banned?
He's one of the most solid supporters of HI, the kamis, and Yangdu.

How'd he get banned, I don't get. Points over? Trolling infaction? Call me dumb, but I'm really lost on this one.

Isn't there any way to get him back on? He's been a very staunch supporter of HI, and this forum.

The link doesn't provide much of an explanation. "Gehazi - went over the point limit with a final trolling infraction."

Last time I tried reading the forum rules a few months ago I had a hard time finding them and the links on the page didn't work.

Perhaps Karda can clarify for us the rules about "trolling" so that we know what is not allowed under that category. Frankly, I'd appreciate some indication that infractions reflect some objective standard rather than the personal attitudes of an individual moderator.

A link to the rules might help, provided the links on the rules page are not still broken.

I hope it's not against the rules to complain that the rules are not available, or to suggest that a moderator might have overreacted, given that we have no information about the alleged infractions.

Color me confused as well. Trolling? I looked at my own profile to see if I have any infractions for anything but don't see a place that would tell me.

I assume your somehow notified if you get an infraction.

Something don't seem right here.

Didn't know we had a political arena and that right there is a good thing.

My other main forum has one and it's nothing short of ugly, almost like real life sometimes.

Hopefully they can grant him a stay or something, he was a devoted HI fan for sure.

Doesn't seem like Gehazi should be banned in the HI forum for something that occurred in a different forum? That's using an awfully broad brush. Is there any way for members to vote back a banned member?

Doesn't seem like Gehazi should be banned in the HI forum for something that occurred in a different forum? That's using an awfully broad brush. Is there any way for members to vote back a banned member?

Maybe one of the HI moderators could look into it? Maybe he was dinged twice (by different moderators) for the same "infraction"? Maybe he wasn't really "trolling" but was expressing honest, heartfelt opinions (that may be unpopular) on the political forum, where they supposedly belong?

Color me confused as well. Trolling? I looked at my own profile to see if I have any infractions for anything but don't see a place that would tell me.

I assume your somehow notified if you get an infraction.

Something don't seem right here.

We are sliding Off Topic here, but it is relevant to this thread.

It seems like all Gehazi's posts in the last week or more have all been here in the HI Forum.

Can't say I can find the problem.

Bawanna, check your User Page (userCP) for any infractions you may have accrued, it's at the bottom of the page below "subscribed" threads.

And yes, you will be notified if you get an infraction.

Unless you're on "double secret probation", of course. ;)

Big Mike

Maybe one of the HI moderators could look into it? Maybe he was dinged twice (by different moderators) for the same "infraction"? Maybe he wasn't really "trolling" but was expressing honest, heartfelt opinions (that may be unpopular) on the political forum, where they supposedly belong?

I start to wonder if THIS thread was considered my a moderator to be some form of prohibited commerce.

If that is the case, could it be considered "trolling"? :confused:

What exactly is considered "trolling" on this Forum? :confused: :confused:

Big Mike

Best left unsaid in the interest of PC.

Last edited:
Was he actually trolling, or could it be his honest opinions that are hugely unpopular on the forum?

Did he "step out of line" since making his last post in this thread, yesterday morning?

He was spending time in the political arena. Nothing good happens there.

Can I get an Amen? The level of discourse there has always been appalling. I wonder if that statement of my opinion is worth an infraction...:mad:

As a moderator on another forum I think it's safe to say that every moderator dreams of a forum without politics.

Yes you get a big Amen!

I just went to the so-called Political Arena subforum for the first time. I haven't seen so much ranting and raving since my last family dinner.

I notice that at least two moderators were directly involved in that discussion, plus another moderator posting warnings to everyone to "tone it down." It seems that the nature of that subforum encourages extremes of emotionalism. Getting emotional about one's ideas is not a bad thing, and what seems excessive to one person might be the soul of reason to another.

I don't think it makes sense to ban someone from all of Bladeforums for an infraction (or multiple infractions) in a subforum that is practically an invitation to infractions. If the moderators (who themselves have axes to grind in the particular discussion) are going to do that, it would be better to close down the subforum altogether and have people stick to talking about blades.

Perhaps I don't know all the facts in this case, but then nobody does except for whoever did the banning.

I suppose it could be an infraction to bring this up here, but where else? And the relevance to the HI Cantina is that Gehazi has been a valuable member of this subforum, and has rarely if ever posted anything here that would be considered an infraction.

Back