Home Defense kukri

Nice AR! What caliber? .223/556 or 300 blk?

I'm in CA so I'm always interested to see what others build in the rest of the US

Ok... Maybe this will change your mind. Here are the wife's and my home defense weapons. She has mastered the Beretta 92fs and can hit a paper plate @200 yards with the AK type56.
I have my trusty 1911 that is an extension of me. Oh and my latest AR build, sooooo many parts and upgrades I would need two or three paragraphs to explain all the mods and trick components...

IMG_0371_zpsc3f3890f.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Here is a little closer look at the AR and 1911...
IMG_0368_zps8c2fd73c.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Hope you enjoyed.

when i started working construction i worked with a guy who was seven feet tall. no skinny basketball type either. built like the proverbial brick poo house. i mentioned once that he musta won every fight he'd been in.

he said simply, "i've never been in a fight. never needed to."

Should have hired him to operate your drawbridge . Save on direwolf kibble!
tried that, he was afraid of the teeney widdle house spiders.
we found this selfie photo photobombed by little 'cuddles', the gate house spider taken on an intruder's phone-cam.
he dropped it just before he misteriously disappeared. cuddles is usually very camera shy, and only comes out to feed.
Danny-Wallacew-with-the-G-001.jpg

It can fire both .223cal and 5.56mm, some AR's aren't rated for 5.56mm so be careful to anyone that owns one. Read the side of the receiver or if its a custom build be sure to read the barrel. 5.56mm cartridge generates far more pressure than the .223 round even though they are dimensionally the same.

The opposite is true of the 7.62mm and .308cal... The .308 is hotter than its 7.62 military equivalent. People with M1 Garands and M14's have reported bent or broken op rods when using the hotter .308 round, especially the light magnum rounds which will destroy your gun in as little as 100 rounds.

I prefer the 5.56 over the 300 black out or any other cartridge for that matter. The 5.56 round has come a long way since the 1:14 twist 55gr Vietnam days. The 62gr M855 penetrator round will penetrate armor @300 yards and fragment in soft tissue @ up to 400 yards. I prefer the 55gr M193 lead round for home defense and target practice due to its low chance of over penetration through dry wall and its economic price. The 7.62x39mm AK round is probably the most versatile round made in the world today. Its low cost and substantial power cant be denied. 1000 rounds cost under $200 and you can also hunt deer and similar size game much more effectively than the 5.56. I do prefer the 5.56 for varmints and smaller game like coyote due to its hyper velocity. The round hits before you even hear the gun go off. That's how fast the bullet travels in a 5.56mm...3250fps :eek:

tried that, he was afraid of the teeney widdle house spiders.
we found this selfie photo photobombed by little 'cuddles', the gate house spider taken on an intruder's phone-cam.
he dropped it just before he misteriously disappeared. cuddles is usually very camera shy, and only comes out to feed.
Danny-Wallacew-with-the-G-001.jpg

Hold me mummy, that's a frightening sight. You can see the terror in the intruders eyes! Serves him right.

Speaking of terror? Poppy full grown yet, probably 5' or so at the withers? Need an update.

Not my home defense weapon but my latest AR configuration alongside my old M43 by Kumar (got this over 12 years ago when I was just a kid)

The M43 I prefer for yard work and as my outdoors/backpack blade. It is sluggish compared to my Hanshee speedwise, but still has a bit of convex edge done by Dan Koster back in the day and is still fearsome to people who've never seen it!

10577192_347835682030776_8975076937460924085_n.jpg

It can fire both .223cal and 5.56mm, some AR's aren't rated for 5.56mm so be careful to anyone that owns one. Read the side of the receiver or if its a custom build be sure to read the barrel. 5.56mm cartridge generates far more pressure than the .223 round even though they are dimensionally the same.

The opposite is true of the 7.62mm and .308cal... The .308 is hotter than its 7.62 military equivalent. People with M1 Garands and M14's have reported bent or broken op rods when using the hotter .308 round, especially the light magnum rounds which will destroy your gun in as little as 100 rounds.

I prefer the 5.56 over the 300 black out or any other cartridge for that matter. The 5.56 round has come a long way since the 1:14 twist 55gr Vietnam days. The 62gr M855 penetrator round will penetrate armor @300 yards and fragment in soft tissue @ up to 400 yards. I prefer the 55gr M193 lead round for home defense and target practice due to its low chance of over penetration through dry wall and its economic price. The 7.62x39mm AK round is probably the most versatile round made in the world today. Its low cost and substantial power cant be denied. 1000 rounds cost under $200 and you can also hunt deer and similar size game much more effectively than the 5.56. I do prefer the 5.56 for varmints and smaller game like coyote due to its hyper velocity. The round hits before you even hear the gun go off. That's how fast the bullet travels in a 5.56mm...3250fps :eek:

Nice rig christcl...Love that first focal plane vortex scope, I love the zero stop feature it has. That was going to be my first optic choice but I ended up getting a super deal on that TA-11 ACOG. I also have a Dr. Optics. micro red dot mounted @ a 45 degree angle, its hard to see it in the pictures but its there on a Q.D. mount.

Is that a Vltor upper?

I see you went with the non railed handguard much like myself. I think full rails are overkill and create excess weight. I also really like your ACC flash hider too, its a great design and you can use a can/suppressor with it. I like to keep my AR builds nice and clean like you. To many people have everything under the sun mounted on their rifles...lights, lasers, toaster, coffee makers, ect. Keep it nice and light, that's what I always say. I live in a post ban state hence the fixed stock and no flash hider but I have super long arms and the A1 length Vltor stock is perfect for me. I have spare batteries for my surefire in one side of the compartments and a front sight tool in the other along with a bore snake in the Magpul grip. I have the same grip as you... I had my gun Duracoated by GOE gunworks.

It looks like you stayed Direct Impingement over a Piston System. Is that correct?

Yup, it is a vltor upper and a5 buffer system, midlength DI.

It's my second build after better understanding the AR platform.

I agree with you, better not to overload the rifle with everything hehe!

Speaking of terror? Poppy full grown yet, probably 5' or so at the withers? Need an update.

She's doing fine. about a year & a half or so now. she's terrorizing the local cats that dare come into 'her' garden, and putting the fear of doG into a wandering fox.
...and making sure no tennis balls remain uncaught. made friends with the local hedgehogs (they're safe as they don't run, and are too spikey) - she tries to get them to play with her but they do not cooperate.
one of the new castle residents has a small female terrierist direwolf that is still a bit snappy around her, but she wants to play with it & is slowly wearing it down. yesterday while feeding the moat monsters she had a good run around with another resident's sh*tzu. wore her out a bit.

her imperial heineyness last week:

Poppy3-1.jpg

Poppy2-1.jpg

I wanted to get me a hedgehog awhile back. They get big dollars for them around here though. For a spike haired little rat I couldn't part with the loot. Thought it would be cool to pack around in my pocket though and they are cute little buggers.
Her royal heineyness is looking fine.

That is an absolutely stunning pup, she looks extremely regal and stoic. I love the look of sight hounds, the sight of them makes me think of ancient Egypt. She is a very elegant dog and I bet anything small and fuzzy fears her. She is the cheetah of the dog world.

I keep 15 inch scary sharp and pointy blade for home defense .

I keep scary sharp and pointy 15 inch Siruapti for home defense.

the fact that thousands of scary razor sharp khukuri owners worldwide would take revenge on anyone even hinting at annoying auntie yangdu is her first line of defence. sadly, she'd not leave us much after they get a taste of her sirupati.

Oh boy Yangdu...I will be sure not to ever mess with you. I read the story about you having a rather large blade under your skirt while riding on the bus overseas. You are one woman that Im sure can take care of herself.

the fact that thousands of scary razor sharp khukuri owners worldwide would take revenge on anyone even hinting at annoying auntie yangdu is her first line of defence. sadly, she'd not leave us much after they get a taste of her sirupati.

This is the gospel truth. I can be at Auntie's in 13 hours easy, well maybe easy, but if I were to hear of a threat I could probably make it in 6 hours.
But I don't think she needs me/us. I suspect as kronckew mentioned she knows how to apply the knife. And I hope if needed she does so thoroughly and completely. I'll come down and help mop up.

As with most, I would be more than happy to volunteer to help cleanup the area. Based on her growing up with these blades and her history of having to take that bus, I am guessing cleanup and severed body part disposition would be all that would be necessary by the time any of us could get there.

Still hopefully the threat of the hordes of vengeful HIKV infected khuk owners will be a good deterrent and prevent any such necessity. I am sure Auntie as most of us would choose to not need to use the sirupati regardless of the fact she would and could if needed.

Back