I think these people need your help

Artillery Mech,
Again you seem to be missing the point again, i don't believe Vin meant that a steak knife couldn't kill a person, but rather i think he was trying to say something like "use the appropriate tool for the job"...for example, who is to say that you can't cut down an oak tree using the small blade of a SAK? you might would most probably be able to fell the tree after a long time, but why not use an appropriate tool for the job? like maybe a saw?...get the point?

secondly, you posted: "Kane, what the heck are you doing dropping your knife? It’s your tool! I’d just as soon drop a knife as I would a firearm!"

well, personally, if i ever got into a conflict, nd if i had a firearm that had run out of ammo, even thn i wouldn't drop it as it would still make a relatively effective impact tool...plus, if Vin did drop his knife, well, it might have been an accident...am i to say that if i ever see you with a bump on your forehead, should i ask you, "hey, what the heck were you doing bumping your forehead"?...again, get the point?

Can't be bothered to post any further for now...kinda waste of my time, and it's getting late, i rather spend more time resting then wasting time on this dumb arguement...Vin, forget it, go take a rest, and maybe someday if you feel bored, then come back here and read some of the posts for comic relief...good day to you all...

Originally posted by Artillery Mech:
Tell yall what, stick a person with a cheap buck-and-a-half steak knife and see how long it takes them to die.

That's funny.... you take that Steak Knife into combat!

Strider Knives are combat knives/tools, and are built for just that. They are designed to meet and exceed the needs of combat and situations that might arise during so (example: a jammed mini-gun in a helo while taking fire, prying a lock off a door that may be your only escape route, sticking it thru your bad guys grape). If I had to choose a knife that would perform as a knife, prybar, chisel, hatchet, saw, hammer, etc., I would most defineatly choose a Strider. You never know what situation might arise & I would most certainly want the right tool to do the job.... and not a Steak Knife.

killerkain

linjunpei, I appreciate your moderating between the two of us. There should be a level head around here. I too was saying use the proper tool; However, some tools are made with overkill in mind. They will go above and beyond what they were designed for (example; clearing said minigun). As long as the user remains with-in the design criteria, the tool will perform what it is designed to do. If the task at hand is low on the design criteria, like cutting one’s MRE bag, a sharp, but cheap knife will do the job as easily as an expensive custom knife will. The point I was attempting to make in my first post was, if you were to use a blade to kill someone, the design criteria of many knives fall with-in this task. All the knives I listed will not make your victim more or less dead than the next. No-where was I trying to make a point to exceed the design criteria of the listed knives. Kane brought the subject of the minigun from… where?

Myself, I was a mechanic. I will never say that I was a commando or a infantryman. Been shot at, yes. Say I was or am combat arms, nope! I won’t say that. I know tools are designed to be used in a certain way. I wouldn’t dream of using a screwdriver to open a can of paint, much less my knife. Use a knife on a firearm? Nope! If you know what tool is needed to clear a jam from a minigun, why didn’t you bring it? To a mechanic, this makes sense. If I need to use a knife in place of the proper tool in a case where people’s lives rests on the machine, you bet I will and have! However, in my original post, this was not mentioned. I defined my post to reflect the design criteria of the knives.

Originally posted by killerkain
Artillery Moo,

You are beyond help. Good luck, have a nice life.

killerkain

Thank you. I will. I didn't come here to start a flame war. I made a comment, not much different than what I had on a firearms forum, and got flamed here. I figured people at a blade forum would be able to think better than those who hang on a firearms forum for obvious reasons. I'm starting to doubt my reasoning.

If you would be so kind as to explain why you feel I am beyond help, I'll be glad to read your opinion. No flames, just explanations. Is your statement opinion based or is it solidly grounded. If it's solidly grounded, you could point to places in my posts that gives you your opinion. I’ll be happy to explain or recant. I’m not perfect and I know it. However, I do strive for improvement. ;) If it is only your opinion, you’re entitled to it. :)

Originally posted by Artillery Mech
Myself, I was a mechanic. I will never say that I was a commando or a infantryman. Been shot at, yes. Say I was or am combat arms, nope! I won’t say that. I know tools are designed to be used in a certain way.
Since you're trying to be somewhat civil I'll respond.

You're missing the point. First off, if you read Striders website their knives are designed for fighting men. They give discounts to active duty Marines and Soldiers while not giving discounts to officers.

Perhaps in your ideal situation (as a mechanic) you have the luxury of having every tool you need for every possible application. Infantry soldiers don't have this luxury nor do air crewmen, Spec Ops, or most anyone else who fights professionally.

So, using a Strider to clear a mini-gun jam is well within the "design criteria" for the Strider. When over enemy territory in a small gunship you don't have your entire mechanics workbench at your disposal. You use what you have available and I bet that airmen thanks the Lord (and the Strider guys) every day for having a universal "tool" on his side that day. That was my point.

You may think a knife is strictly meant for stabbing or otherwise killing people, I'm here to tell you they can be used for far more if they are properly designed and crafted. Strider refers to their knives as "tools". This should tell you something about their "design criteria". The word "tool" implies something more than stabbing people.

Oh, and if you ever had to stab someone you would find out pretty quickly that blade quality can be quite important as well. Although I never stabbed anyone with my old Gerber MKII I'm relatively certain I could have easily broken the blade in doing so.

**** happens. Yes, I dropped my Gerber. Why? Because I had it attached to my web gear and my M16 sling un-snapped the retaining strap which let it fall to the ground. My knife became a lonely handle missing it's pretty blade. From that point on I never bought another Gerber.

As Killerkain said, you may find yourself prying open doors, stabbing through body armor, hacking away trees, whatever... the tougher you can make a knife the better it is for fighting. Strider knives are meant for just that, fighting. If you're using it for camping trips, great. It will do a fine job for you. But always remember, it was designed to be a soldiers tool not a civilians play thing... or a mechanics tool.

Vincent,
You are wasting your breath on these kids. They figure their $10 pakistani survival knife will chop tanks in half and be the ultimate fighting tool. You put up more good arguments than any defense attorney, and they sidestepped the issues like politicians. Maybe they are democrats?

Also, grunt351, whoever you think you are, our Berrettas are US made, and even our M249 designed by FN is made in the US under license from Belgium. Get a clue, and then graduate highschool.

Mac:
I have my own weapons, I have owned many AK's and variants. The only one worth the money is the Galil. My current choice of .223 are my Stoners.

I have NO PROBLEMS with the "AK-Folks" who do not compare apples to oranges (like a Glock to an AK). My problems lie with the "anti-American" comments and the attacks on a knife NO ONE on your forum has a clue about. The reality is that in .223, the REAL world facing real life and death situations and do so as AMERICANS do not use AK's. Like I said, AK's certainly do kill, but so does a Raven .25. The most important part is the man behind the weapon, and the second most important part is the weapon itself. Comparing an AK to an AR is like comparing a Benchmade to a SRIDER

And Talk about Cops with "Bad attitudes", tell me about the recent Indictment of the Bartlett, NH Police Chief:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :p

I would love to shoot with you anyday. I have my own guns from which to choose, but the AK is not one of them. But look me up, and we can drink coffee, and I can tell you all about my 26 years in LE. Then you can make some real wise-A$$ comments about the shooting I lost, and then I can make some wise A$$ comments about the one I never talk about. The comments I make about the tactical errors I made has helped others "caught" in that position. I learned a great deal from it and never made those "errors" again

But heck, you are a big-time hero, you already understand all of this......................Ira

Well Reed... Since I graduated HS in June of 1997 and MCRD Parris Island 3rd Bn, Lima Company, Plt 3077 on Sept 12th, 1997 and have served proudly with A Co 1/25 in Weapons platoon ever since. Maybe all of the brands I mentioned have plants on US soil, nevertheless all are Foreign born companies. My point is those weapons are great whether they are made in Kentucky, Maine, or Taiwan.... I'm not trying to **** on anyone, my point is the US military carries all manner of gear not necessarily made or designed by Americans. If you still doubt my identity, ask ArchAngel, I work with him every day...

Kane, I agree with you on your points. Though they are not my points, your points are very valid and I agree with your points. My point is more mundane than yours. I agree that Striders are built to higher standards, to the point that they can be used for other uses than just a knife. The members of our Military should be issued only the best that our Nation produces. I also agree that the proper tools are not always available. Been there, done that. Had to either make due with what I had or make the tool I needed. Back in early 1991, I had to use a Leatherman to bypass a starter relay in a 1008 because there weren’t any on hand. Ruined the blade. I’m sure some Arab thought he found a jewel of a knife when he found what I trashed.

I know, if I were to be in combat, I wouldn’t want my blade to fail me. I would want the best I could afford, or the best the Military could get their hands on.

My point in my first post wasn’t to trash Striders or any other knife. It was simply to point out that, if you had to kill someone, you would make due with what you had. If you had a steak knife, you’d use it. If you had a Strider, you’d use it. You’d use anything in between too if it was the only thing you had. All will kill. Then again, if you really had to, you could also use your hands, teeth, or anything else you needed. A knife will kill a person just as dead as a rifle or a pistol. Dead is dead. I tried to make that point with the .22RF and the 300 Winmag. The difference is how effective is the weapon and user. A cheap buck-and-a-half steak knife is too soft to be an effective weapon. ;) You can do it if you really have to, but I’d pick something else.

All this is like deciding what brand of tool you want to use on your car or truck. I bought Snap-on and Mac (the best I could find) because I was in the trade of turning wrenches. I have spread the jaws on Craftsman open end wrenches and trashed the guts of their ½ inch drive ratchets in the past. I lost money by taking the time off to trade for another one at Sears. I don’t have to worry about breaking a Snap-on wrench. If I were just doing work around the house, not professionally, I’d get the Craftsman because of cost. For almost $70, you can get a Snap-on ½ inch combination wrench. For that same $70, you can go to Sears and buy an entire wrench set. It adds up when your smallest wrench is a 5/16th and the largest is a 1-1/2 inch. That 1-1/2 inch Snap-on combination wrench demands almost $200. You buy the best tools you can for the work you do. Just like with knives. ;) If your life depends on it, you simply get the best.

I think we see the same side of the issue, but weren’t aware of it. Maybe I came in at a bad time, with others trashing forums, and got caught in the flack. Maybe I could have made myself clearer. Whatever the case, I’m glad we’re communicating and not flaming.

Take care,

As to the mini-gun reference. It was me. Here is my mini-gun. The appropriate tool left the aircraft at an inappropriate time. Tends to happen in a helo with open cabin. The point is that Striders are over-built to allow them to accomplish tasks that aren't intended to be accomplished with an average knife.

As to the argument here. Only Trigger should be here since he started this silly argument. AR's, AK's, and Knives.....who cares. You like what you like. If you don't like it here, leave. If someone invades your forum, tell them to piss off. Don't go to their forum and act the a$$. It lowers you to their level.

Originally posted by Vincent Kane

So now you want to take cheap shots at Mick?
You misunderstood me, I just made an observation about the original poster. Not even a cheap shot at him, although this whole thread is rather lame.
It`s been stated a few times, some tools can do the the job better than another. Does the job get done? It has every time I needed it.

I dont own a Gerber, ooops I take that back I have a Multi tool that gets abused daily in my work as a contractor. It`s been used as a nail punch, drywall saw, plaster trimmer, just about everything you wouldnt do with a "good" blade. Yet I have owned it for 4 years and never had it fail. Is it as good as a leatherman or any other multitool that costs more? I dont know as this one is still viable. It gets the job done. My little swiss army keychain knife gets more use than anything.
I have a few benchmades, couple of Emersons, Kbar, Cold Steel`s, They all do fine, my Emerson Commander is by far the best folder I have owned and carry it everywhere.
I could afford a nice custom knife like Strider or others but I have been busy buying things that become extinct in California.........incl an AK47.
Soon as it`s on the endangered list here I pop for one. personally I agree, his stuff is extremely nice. It looks like it would get the job done for sure.
I no longer have to rely on blade for my life. I never actually had to use a knife during contacts, settin up perimeter defenses maybe, but a box cutter woulda worked.
I`m a collector now and would most likely buy a custom knife soon.
Firearms and all related sports take half my paycheck as it is now.

Dont want "the idiot parade" here, then dont invite us.

My work is done here

Originally posted by Artillery Mech
It was simply to point out that, if you had to kill someone, you would make due with what you had. If you had a steak knife, you’d use it. If you had a Strider, you’d use it. You’d use anything in between too if it was the only thing you had. All will kill.
Cool.

One thing though, I'll bet 90% or more of the guys who have Striders will never draw blood with them... except for maybe their own. :)

Knives are used by soldiers for almost everything else but killing. If you find yourself in that many knife fights, you're not long to this world. :)

Spec Ops? Who knows... I've never been anything more than an 0311 and a Security Forces Marine. Maybe they run around stabbing all sorts of folks. But I'm willing to bet they don't. :)

My point in all of this is that I misunderstood your comments as I was applying my experience to your "what if" scenario and it wasn't meshing.

All is well that ends well, so it's water under the bridge to me.

As for DTHOR... :) He's still a puke and his board is tainted by his dishonor. I wouldn't post over there if you paid me, nor would I financially support his pathetic punk arse. There are too many good boards out there with honorable Sysops like this one, AR15.com, Full-Auto.com, HKPRO and the like. AK-47.net makes me sick every time I think about DTHOR and his dishonorable actions. I know that's none of your business. But for anyone else posting over there, I would seriously weigh his pathetic actions and claims before I supported a disgusting puke like him or his board.

Take care man.

Actually, I would be interested to hear Mick and Duane's comments about this charlatan and the fact he was nailed for being a fake SEAL.

...I've tried to stay outta this, but you must be 'dumber than a doorknob' to come in here, listing your address as Pasadena, CA., and then stating that you've just bought a banned AKS/AKM...

You 'aren't' a LEO, so you've just admitted to commiting a Felony!

"What a freaking DORK!" :rolleyes:

Goodbye rick 314; you're right, your work is done here...now leave before you bleed on yourself anymore.

Mel

wolfmann601, here we go again..... First off I ain't no hero, not that I know of anyway, but my cats might think so when I brutally tear the lid off a can of cat food with my bare hands! geeze...

And yeah your right.... there is lessons in what your wrote about that incident.

I read that and just after I read the first page of this thread yesterday.... Which was also the first time I ever heard of this forum. You had some pretty nasty things to say in general, about Ak's and the guys at that forum.... I was doubting you were a cop, but I see I am in error there...As for triggerman he has been banned from Ak-47 net so far as I know.... I for sure am not responcible for him or any one else there or anywhere!

I am as American as anyone that claims he is.... I was born here. If I ain't good enuff please say so now, as my bike gas tank is bare steel just now getting ready for a patriotic paint job, and if I know ahead of time I won't bother trying to get Miss Liberty ghosting just under the flag that will be on top of her, where she will look out thru.....

I am hoping we might start over, but that is up to you.

As for Bartlett, I knew the chief. He was better than everyone else, just ask him.... He was part of the reason the guys I knew that were cops there aren't cops any more... circa 1981-1990 I still live in Carrol County, and we recently had a real winner, the Lt, out of Wolfboro, who was convicted of 512 counts reduce/lumped into 2. I had a dealing with that jerk, where he manged to use his possition to insult my wife openly for no reason what ever! And tried to get me to miss a hearing, so a bench warrent would be proquired against me. As it turned out I was proven innocent, and that jeck is doing time, because yet he was better than everyone else.

Whether guy are cops, or just guys makes no difference to me.... I tend to take folks as they come... if a guy is a cop then he is a cop, but to me might as well be any other thing he wants, so long as he doesn't have the idea that he is better than others, or above the law.....

My days of combat are well past at 50, at least I hope so. I spent 3 years living off the land after a not so great divorce...talk about getting lied to.... just sign here... WOW I did not get that one right, and the Justice system just kept at it... She whent thru 3 lawyers.. The first 2 were slapped on the wrist by the Professional Conduct Comitte, and removed them selves from the case. The last my son out grew, and became of age, returning himself to me on his own.

Anyway the ball is in your court...... Mac

Kane, again, I have to agree with your post. If a Marine or a Soldier ends up having to use his blade in combat, his end is near unless he's very lucky. I pray I never end up in a knife fight. I never want to be that close to the opposition.

Also, a person can do or say anything he can live with. This is where honor comes in. Some people hold a high place with honor. They can't lie very well because they can't stand the smell the crap that'll come forth. If you lie, you're not only lying to others, but yourself. How can you trust anyone who lies to themselves?

The misunderstanding, it's all under the bridge as far as I'm concerned too. I apologize for not making myself clear in my intentions.

Now that the smoke has cleared, what’s the casualty count? Are there tangos still in the wire? ;)

Knifebomber, I'm not going to touch your post. Things are starting to settle down and I really don't want to stir things up again. Seems there was a big misunderstanding that kept compounding upon itself. ( read Kane’s post ) There were those who felt, admirably, like they had to cover Kane's six. I don't hold that against anyone. In fact, I'd be disappointed at anyone who considers himself Kane's bro and not cover his six. Yall are a good crew here. Seems there are those who want to bring a past conflict to the forum or have the two sites go at each other’s throats. To each his own. I really don’t want to get involved in a pissing contest. If the pissing contest involved me, then I’ll stick around for it. Otherwise, I’m not interested; It’s not my business.

I had an opinion that I thought would start a good conversation, but it was misunderstood. Like the saying goes, "Sh*t happens, drive on!" I’ll stick around, lurk, and read posts. If there’s something interesting that catches my eye, I may or may not post.

Cheers!

Back