If you could only have ONE knife to survive with...

I can't say for Jerry but most knives (ours included) are using a baked on powder coating and no danger from the knife being used for food prep. We have a LOT of folks using the knifves for food prep, some high end chefs too no less, and no problems. I did some research with Shermin Williams Co. (manufacturer of the coating on ours) and no flags from them either. I am guessing that it probably would not be safe for anyone to drink a bucket of the raw powder from which the coating is made but clearly in the form it is used on the finished product we know of no ill effects.

I have been reading more and more post about stripping the blade today. Did I miss something about the coatings? I have never done this, and would like to know why everyone is now.

I've used my HEST and my Wife and I have both used our 3s, one black and the other khaki/tan coated, if that makes any difference, and none of the coating has come off. Raw chicken and beef and right-off-the-open-coals, chicken so hot you couldn't touch it, never had any problem with the finish. If I don't see finish coming off, I don't think anything is in the food. There is also no discoloration of the white meat (chicken) from the coating so it's not shedding anything onto the food.

There are "molecular" arguments that are always raised about the safety of Nalgene bottles and things like knife coatings but I honestly believe you are exposed to more toxins driving on any major highway for 30 minutes in traffic. The food you eat might have stuff in it more dangerous to your longevity than the coating on the knife you are preparing it with as well.

Just my opinion.

I think most people are stripping the blades because they like the look of the distressed patinas, etc.

I have been reading more and more post about stripping the blade today. Did I miss something about the coatings? I have never done this, and would like to know why everyone is now.

I typically strip mine once the coating is worn off quite a bit.

Not needed of course but it's almost like buying a new knife.:D

Don't leave home without your ESEE Lite Machete! Hell I survive fine everywhere I go and don't even have a American Express card. A Machete is better than a American Express card!

If I could only have one knife, I would choose my Ontario RD-6, with it's blade steel of S-7. I know It would stand up to anything I would put it through.
S-7 is high shock, high wear resistant steel, used for the cutting edge of bulldozer blades, the teeth on shovel buckets, scraper blades, grader blades, and the bits on jackhammers. It's made to last for long periods of time, under the most harsh uses immaginable.:eek:

EarlFH

The one I would take....

The one between my legs (hey someone needs to work at repopulating the planet)

Has anyone ever NEEDED a knife to survive? Weren't humans surviving before knives?

I think Mike is on the right track here--if you could only have one WOMAN to survive, who would that be?

My RC6 or my BK2.If I thought I might need a bigger blade then I'd go with my old Camillus BK9.

I would even consider cutting off my finger to let her use it as a knife it need be!!

Ta hell with that. She's hot, but she ain't Yakuza. I'll keep all my digits, all 21 of them. 50% of this world's population is women, I'll take my chances.:D

Moose

Ta hell with that. She's hot, but she ain't Yakuza. I'll keep all my digits, all 21 of them. 50% of this world's population is women, I'll take my chances.:D

Moose

I stick by my original statement... :D

But now holding my 5 in my hand I would have to say everyone that voted for the 5 might have been right. I am in love.

Back