Introduction/advice on CAK

You never cease to amaze Mr Azar! Your collection blows me out of the water!

Coincidentally I carried a folder today as well...a Cold Steel Voyager XL Clip Point, which is my EDC.

Amko, I'm a small time collector and the new kid on the block compared to some of these other guys!

Figuring that the Reno air tends to dry out wood and leather, I applied 3 coats of double boiled linseed oil to the handle (it's gleaming now and the treatment has brought out the grain of the satisal wood beautifully); also treated the sheath to a generous application of Proofide, which is Brooks' (England) proprietary recommended product for bicycle saddles.

"CAK ready for inspection, Sah!"

Last edited:
As a free member I only have the option of referencing a URL, which means resorting to a photo sharing website. I'll need to work it out since it's been a while since I've used one. I'll need to get back to you.

IMG_9890.jpg IMG_9889.jpg IMG_9888.jpg IMG_9887.jpg Amko's CAK by Purna! I'm happy for you my forum friend! I hope you don't mind me posting your knife? If so, I'll remove it. It sure is beautiful!

Super job Mr Azar. Thanks! That knife deserves a wider canvas for more folks than what my limited resources could provide ;)

stwm, thanks so much. I'm glad I persisted 'against all odds'. I expected nothing but the best from HI and paid close attention to the help I received from those who ensured I made this choice: you know who you are!

stwm, thanks so much. I'm glad I persisted 'against all odds'. I expected nothing but the best from HI and paid close attention to the help I received from those who ensured I made this choice: you know who you are!
Every time I see your knife it makes me want to get mine out!
I love it!

Someday I hope to use mine! For now I am too busy just admiring it.

Is this natural?
I know a few people that use them....as they were intended! As for me....well...I'm still doing the same thing with all of mine!!

Question? Am I waiting for a zombie apocalypse to use them???

Enjoy them/it Amko in whatever way you want! It's ALL yours!!!

Question: HI advises oiling the blade after each use. But can I store the oiled blade in the sheath for a period of time? Would that loosen the sheath? Would it be better to store the knife in say plastic or wrap it in cloth? I.e. out of the sheath.

Question: HI advises oiling the blade after each use. But can I store the oiled blade in the sheath for a period of time? Would that loosen the sheath? Would it be better to store the knife in say plastic or wrap it in cloth? I.e. out of the sheath.
That's a great question as of right now, I'm storing them in the sheath. I never did that with my hand made knives before!

Some one, I could use an answer to this great question as well!
Thank you in advance!

That said - the oiled blade was inside the sheath when I first laid eyes on it...

Is that also how HI stores their knives?

Oil the hell out of them and stuff them in the sheath! It will only help. In fact if the sheath wood retains oil then it becomes more moisture resistant and prevents further moisture damage assuming you are using non organic oils. Organic oils work fine short term and can go rancid but if you want it to last generations then go with mineral oil or something similar. The best oils can be debated but if your not sure do mineral oil till you figure it out and get educated enough to debate it then do what you feel best. Wood, steel, leather, and everything these rigs are made from are compatible with mineral oil and personally id totally dunk the whole rig in a five gallon bucket of mineral oil if I was bothered by it but its not necessary. Just oil up the blade and stuff it and use it and dont worry. Wipe some on the sheath to condition it and all will be good.
That sir is your Khukri on mineral oil! Any questions?

Back