Is this knife made in Texas ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s a shame that there isn’t full transparency in Point of Origin of knives...or all products for that matter. It’s not cool for someone who wishes to avoid a certain POI to be misled or lied to. I’m ok with some Chinese knives but wholeheartedly support those who choose not to buy them.

At the end of the day, this isn’t on Knifecenter. It’s the duty of a knife reseller to insure their products are genuine, deliver them in a timely fashion and offer service after the sale within the scope of the terms & conditions of the transaction.

We can’t expect the retailer to verify every element of every product they sell.

The knife reseller depends on the manufacturer to provide accurate info relevant to size, weight, composition, POI et.al. The retailer can only pass on the data as supplied, but must do so in good faith. This isn’t on the reseller but the manufacturer.

In this case, one particular manufacturer who’s long-standing lies are one of the worst kept secrets in the industry.

That’s one of the great things about BF; it’s a forum to spread the word. This time we should be slamming the maker rather than the retailer.
The maker no longer exists and Knife Center knows damn well this knife is made in China , so according to you it’s OK to continue listing them as Made In USA.

I don't think it's unreasonable to expect more due diligence from a specialty knife retailer than from Ebay , Amazon or Walmart .

Part of what you should get for the premium prices they charge is special expertise and accurate , honest information on what they sell !

I will claim it is on Knifecenter. The customer is not buying a knife from Quartermaster, they are buying a knife from Knifecenter. Knifecenter is making the claim that the knife is made in the USA, in Texas, not Quartermaster. This claim helps justify a much higher price than if Knifecenter claimed the knife was made in China. If Quartermaster lied to Knifecenter, it is Knifecenter's responsibility to do their due diligence to determine country of origin. I am not a lawyer, but if Quartermaster lied on the purchase order about country of origin, materials, etc, I think Knifecenter could take them to court for misrepresentation.

Coffee is using block chain technology (Starbucks) so the buyer can determine that what they are buying is ethically grown and sold. If $10 a pound coffee can block chain, I don't see any reason why $150.00 knives can't.
Ok, let's look at it this way. All of this information is provided by the maker to the seller:
Knife stats.PNG
If the seller is responsible for dispatching an employee to the mythical location in Texas where these knives are "manufactured" to verify point of origin, where do you draw the line? Do they verify weight? Blade length? Are they responsible for destructive testing of a statistically representative number of blades to insure CPM-154? How about Rockwell hardness testing? Do they verify that the color is indeed "Limo Tint Black" within an acceptable color spectrum? How much responsibility are you willing for them to take...rather, how much are you willing to pay for?

Knife stats are not the responsibility of a re-seller. The highest level of service from a dedicated knife re-seller is to photograph actual specimens of models where natural variations can occur, and to perhaps inspect knives upon arrival for obvious defects. Knife sellers must depend on manufacturers for accurate, honest information. If you require them to verify knife stats, none of us could afford to buy from a dedicated knife seller.

The maker no longer exists and Knife Center knows damn well this knife is made in China , so according to you it’s OK to continue listing them as Made In USA.
How can you "know" what someone or something other than yourself knows?
For the last time, I'm not OK with Knifecenter knowingly spreading falsehoods, but that's something we can't be sure they're doing. They might be taking the stats of the manufacturer at face value. Your gripe needs to be with the maker.

The fact that the maker is out of business (I wasn't aware) and that these knives are on closeout clearance makes this thread even more pointless.

With the various dust-ups regarding Quartermaster/Knife Center that occur on this board from time to time, it seems inconceivable to me that Knife Center is oblivious. So, I consider their continuing to sell the brand as tacit approval of the "manufacturer's" business practices. That being said, it's a simple decision to avoid the seller......I don't buy from Knife Center nor do I encourage my friends to.

(Oh, and I live 18 miles from the alleged QM "factory".)

With the various dust-ups regarding Quartermaster/Knife Center that occur on this board from time to time, it seems inconceivable to me that Knife Center is oblivious. So, I consider their continuing to sell the brand as tacit approval of the "manufacturer's" business practices. That being said, it's a simple decision to avoid the seller......I don't buy from Knife Center nor do I encourage my friends to.

bladehq, new graham knives, knifeworks etc.....all sell quartermaster knives, do you avoid those companies also ?

In my opinion, I don't think the onus is necessarily on the vendor to 'fact check' a manufacturers submitted specs. But, if the vendor has reason or evidence to believe that the manufacturer specs are false, they should either opt to remove either the claim or the product altogether. That is, if said vendor actually respects their own reputation and, thereby, their customers...

Just my 2¢...

Ok, let's look at it this way. All of this information is provided by the maker to the seller:
View attachment 1407463
If the seller is responsible for dispatching an employee to the mythical location in Texas where these knives are "manufactured" to verify point of origin, where do you draw the line? Do they verify weight? Blade length? Are they responsible for destructive testing of a statistically representative number of blades to insure CPM-154? How about Rockwell hardness testing? Do they verify that the color is indeed "Limo Tint Black" within an acceptable color spectrum? How much responsibility are you willing for them to take...rather, how much are you willing to pay for?

Knife stats are not the responsibility of a re-seller. The highest level of service from a dedicated knife re-seller is to photograph actual specimens of models where natural variations can occur, and to perhaps inspect knives upon arrival for obvious defects. Knife sellers must depend on manufacturers for accurate, honest information. If you require them to verify knife stats, none of us could afford to buy from a dedicated knife seller.

How can you "know" what someone or something other than yourself knows?
For the last time, I'm not OK with Knifecenter knowingly spreading falsehoods, but that's something we can't be sure they're doing. They might be taking the stats of the manufacturer at face value. Your gripe needs to be with the maker.

The fact that the maker is out of business (I wasn't aware) and that these knives are on closeout clearance makes this thread even more pointless.
How can I know ? Because I informed them long ago ! I posted this to make potential victims aware. IMHO they’re just passing off the last of their crap China knives as Made In USA!

Haven't seen them advertise as U.S. made like KC does.

So go ahead and support whomever you wish and I'll do the same, pal.
well the product still claims to be from usa, as long as the dealer leaves out country of origin in the specs on their website but still sells it then thats ok? im just curious.

From New Graham Knives listing: "Says made in USA, but hell, I don't really know."
That's actually pretty funny.
Knifeworks shows them as made in the USA also. BladeHQ doesn't show a point of origin for any of the Quartermaster knives, but to follow the logic some are using here, they should be slammed for not saying "China".

That's actually pretty funny.
Knifeworks shows them as made in the USA also. BladeHQ doesn't show a point of origin for any of the Quartermaster knives, but to follow the logic some are using here, they should be slammed for not saying "China".
Not logic, morals !

Not logic, morals !
Why did you not make a post about the other vendors or include them in this one?

This seems more like it should be in GB&U.

Also, not going to lie but if I could get the general lee model for $100 I'd buy it just to play with the locking mechanism.

Why did you not make a post about the other vendors or include them in this one?

This seems more like it should be in GB&U.

Also, not going to lie but if I could get the general lee model for $100 I'd buy it just to play with the locking mechanism.
Unwise Fool , I posted because KC emailed their sale ad to to me advertising this great sale . If by
bringing attention to this ongoing fraud has caused anyone to be offended please understand ,I don’t give a damn.

Unwise Fool , I posted because KC emailed their sale ad to to me advertising this great sale . If by
bringing attention to this ongoing fraud has caused anyone to be offended please understand ,I don’t give a damn.
It's just one word, no space. Like Bono. Or Cher. Or Prince before he was a symbol.

Bernie, Don’t! Those Rooskie mail order brides will have you completely clean out of $$$$ right after they get the rest of their family over here! About 18-24 months. I know two guys that made that mistake!

Luckily, I'm disabled, living on disability and social security. Not much she could take, plus I'd have a prenuptial.

Like I'm ever gonna remarry. F that. Even if my acupuncturist is gorgeous and single.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back