K390 Military

what he said,

call me extremist but in my mind using such a steel with a "softer" ht would be a terrible waste of material, time and effort.

there are plenty of tough steels, please keep the ultra high end one for people who know what a folder is made for.

put a disclaimer on the box and force the seller to put one in their description if you feel it's needed but please again, don't run it sorfter by safety.

pleeeeeaaase

:D

What are you referring to in regards to safety?

Hey Niles, Bulgarian_djigit, Meatmote,

Welcome to the Spyderco forum.

sal

Thank you Sal.

i chose my words poorly i meant safety for the manufacturer, not for the user. those steels can be quite brittle and won't forgive much abuses at high hardness with a thin edge. it would be safer for spyderco to run the steel softer to avoid complaints from users confusing their knives with screwdrivers or prybars.

i chose my words poorly i meant safety for the manufacturer, not for the user. those steels can be quite brittle and won't forgive much abuses at high hardness with a thin edge. it would be safer for spyderco to run the steel softer to avoid complaints from users confusing their knives with screwdrivers or prybars.

I see. So, higher hardness increases wear resistance, but how do you draw the line between that and brittleness? Don't get me wrong, I'm on your side, just trying to understand.

I use my knives a lot on wood, and I appreciate being able to make a couple border cuts then twisting the blade to pop a chunk of wood out. I also end up needing to pry thin pieces of tin off bottles ever now and again at work. I wouldn't do either of these things with my super blue knives though, and that bums me out. I made a lanyard out of a sharpened flat head screw driver for these knives so I still have something to pry with, but I sure wish I could trust my knife to do it.

Steels like K390 excite me, but is it only capable of becoming a slicer?

I was late to the party with the mules. :sorrow: I would of loved one of the S90V and M390 ones.:dejection:

No way I am missing out on this one though:excitement: :applause: :encouragement:

but I sure wish I could trust my knife to do it.

Prying isn't generally considered a job for a knife by manufacturers and I'd guess, most users and buyers. My question is did you have a problem or an incident or did you just feel like you would have trouble if you did it? I'm not claiming it to be a tough steel but I would like to know so I can keep track of blade failures for my own personal interest.
Steels like K390 excite me, but is it only capable of becoming a slicer?

Knives are slicers, stabbers, and choppers. It's a design thing more than anything else. Like anything else tools do what they are designed for the best. In my opinion a slicer is a type of tool, no better or worse than a chopper. They just do what they are designed for. If they aren't suitable for your needs consider getting something else that is.

There's not a lot of information in our world about this steel. It is supposed to be a higher toughness version of the A11 class of super high wear steels. Relative to what is the key to understanding K390's toughness. Tough compared to 1070 is very, very different than a knife that is tough for or compared to 15V.

If you really want tough steels that you can pry with and use as screwdrivers you need something designed for that like Graham Razels.They have designs meant to do what you want with fairly tough, low alloy steels. Looking at super high wear steels not really known as a class for their toughness might be looking in the wrong place. Typically high carbide fraction = wear resistance = lower toughness.

Joe

Last edited:
Prying isn't generally considered a job for a knife by manufacturers and I'd guess, most users and buyers. My question is did you have a problem or an incident or did you just feel like you would have trouble if you did it? I'm not claiming it to be a tough steel but I would like to know so I can keep track of blade failures for my own personal interest.

Knives are slicers, stabbers, and choppers. It's a design thing more than anything else. Like anything else tools do what they are designed for the best. In my opinion a slicer is a type of tool, no better or worse than a chopper. They just do what they are designed for. If they aren't suitable for your needs consider getting something else that is.

There's not a lot of information in our world about this steel. It is supposed to be a higher toughness version of the A11 class of super high wear steels. Relative to what is the key to understanding K390's toughness. Tough compared to 1070 is very, very different than a knife that is tough for or compared to 15V.

If you really want tough steels that you can pry with and use as screwdrivers you need something designed for that like Graham Razels.They have designs meant to do what you want with fairly tough, low alloy steels. Looking at super high wear steels not really known as a class for their toughness might be looking in the wrong place. Typically high carbide fraction = wear resistance = lower toughness.

Joe

That's good information for me. I've been slowing coming around to understanding that these "super steels" don't mean invincible. From what you said, they simply perform the intended function of a knife more absolutely.

I do try to use knives as they're intended, but a lot of the time expediency wins out, but only with knives I know will handle it or I know I can fix.

As for the super blues, the only blade I've chipped is the SB mule. I got a very small chip off the factory edge pushing a spring in on a watch band:

_MG_7884.jpg

Thanks for the info! I have lots to learn.

I completely trust Mr. Glesser's judgement to use the most appropriate heat treatment. He has quite a long and enviable record for doing so. :thumbup::thumbup:

That's good information for me. I've been slowing coming around to understanding that these "super steels" don't mean invincible. From what you said, they simply perform the intended function of a knife more absolutely.

I do try to use knives as they're intended, but a lot of the time expediency wins out, but only with knives I know will handle it or I know I can fix.

When I handle my next mule (or other fixed blade) I might look at leaving a portion of the tang free for prying tasks. A bit like the "skull-crusher" of the Warrior. This might avoid the expediency/impatience thing.

When I handle my next mule (or other fixed blade) I might look at leaving a portion of the tang free for prying tasks. A bit like the "skull-crusher" of the Warrior. This might avoid the expediency/impatience thing.

That's a good thought!

Hey Niles, Bulgarian_djigit, Meatmote,

Welcome to the Spyderco forum.

sal

Thanks, Sal :) Im registred Spyderco forum too with nick bgDjigit. I just read more than i write.
Also i asked in Spyderco forum, are there any news about cru-wear mule, because its interesting steel, I suppose in cpm-3v class. Will it be back in line soon?
Best regards from Bulgaria :)

Around 62 RC would be good really. :)

+1 I prefer 62 too.
Maybe 64 is better for slicer with that steel, but probably some guys will try harder usage and it could chip... maybe :confused:
Ill buy k390 mule regardless of everything :D So Ill trust Mr. Glesser's judgement too :)

It would be interesting to have a couple options on hardness for the mules, like half at 62-64, and the other half softer (I don't know what number that should be). I'd buy one of each. I'm sure this would be a snap on Spyderco's end, given how easy the mules are to slip into their production schedule and all.

Last edited:
It would be interesting to have a couple options on hardness for the mules, like half at 62-64, and the other half softer (I don't know what number that should be). I'd buy one of each. I'm sure this would be a snap on Spyderco's end, given how easy the mules are to slip into their production schedule and all.

You are sure?

Last edited:
Even at 62 RC and CYRO Treated it would hold an edge so much longer than any production blade it wouldn't matter.

Just catching up to this thread...

AWESOME to hear that Spyderco will be making mules out of K390. I'm even more excited if a Military would made from this...I just hope I can get one the pre-order before it sells out!

It sounds like this could be a benchmark accomplishment for the industry due to the anticipated production challenges. Good luck Sal (and Spyderco) and I look forward to seeing this become reality!

Thanks Sal!

Just catching up to this thread...

AWESOME to hear that Spyderco will be making mules out of K390. I'm even more excited if a Military would made from this...I just hope I can get one the pre-order before it sells out!

It sounds like this could be a benchmark accomplishment for the industry due to the anticipated production challenges. Good luck Sal (and Spyderco) and I look forward to seeing this become reality!

Thanks Sal!

Yeah it would be a landmark knife for sure, a K390 Military at 62-63 RC. :)

One would be able to CUT - FOR - EVER..... ;)

Even at 62 RC and CYRO Treated it would hold an edge so much longer than any production blade it wouldn't matter.

Jim, (May I have your permission to address you as Jim?)

From my research, and correspondence with B-U USA and others, I am convinced that you are correct. K390, even below it's optimum hardness, would hold it's edge better than most of the "cutlery suitable" uber steels, other than Rex121.

Back