Ken Erickson Knives: A Retrospective

sextant

Gold Member
A super knife, Ken, that probably disappears in your pocket until you need it. Beautiful. :thumbup:
I like the pearl a lot, too. In my experience you might have more luck if you try to reduce the amount of soft light as much as possible and add a more focused light source like a spot light. It goes deeper and shows the various layers better. The flat light tends to stay on top like a white layer. Just my 2ct.

I never have good luck photographing pearl but this is some really nice gold lip.
The knife is a 3 3/8 teardrop jack with pinched and threaded bolsters. Coined liners on the open side, CPM D2 blade and spring.

If this isn't a traditional pocket knife I don't what one is, fabulous! The pearl just adds to the old timey look...

Jeff

I love the pearl on this one Ken-the knife looks very "old timey"-and that's a good thing!!!:thumbup:

Getting ready for the upcoming Badger show at the end of March.
I like to bring along some of my shadows for the table.

The swayback is covered in some aged paper based Micarta, while the spear point edc is covered in linen.
CPM154 for both knives

Ken,
wonderful knives as usual :rolleyes:
Question for you: do you make your own micarta, or get it from someone else? Cause the tone of yellow of your micarta slipjoints looks awesome...it might be a photographic thing, but I don't think so...and it might be my pick when the time comes :)

Fausto
:cool:

Is that spearpoint 3.5"ish???? If so, we'll have to talk about it at the Badger show, I might need that in my pocket!

Ken,
wonderful knives as usual :rolleyes:
Question for you: do you make your own micarta, or get it from someone else? Cause the tone of yellow of your micarta slipjoints looks awesome...it might be a photographic thing, but I don't think so...and it might be my pick when the time comes :)

Fausto
:cool:

Fausto,

No, I get the good stuff from John LLoyd. John has some really nice cover material, be it Micarta, stag, ebony or.

Is that spearpoint 3.5"ish???? If so, we'll have to talk about it at the Badger show, I might need that in my pocket!

Yep, my spear point is 3 1/2 while the swaybacks are 3 5/8, looking forward to chatting with you a the show.

Beautiful knives as usual Ken!

Thanks! Very much appreciated.

Wagglebee: It is the old stuff and hard to come by these days. Protect it with your life.....or give it to Ken...

The knives look great Ken. And while I have had the pleasure of owning another of you SBJ's in Micarta this one looks to be outstanding:).

John, you are correct about guarding it, becoming quite rare!

Last edited:

glennbad

Knife Moddin' Fool
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Great work as usual Ken. Single blades without a lot of flash and fluff, but there is no doubt they are custom.

Beautiful!

waynorth

Dealer / Materials Provider
Great collection building up there, Ken!!
I am sure your table will be empty after a short while!!

kyle007

BANNED
Was thinking today that this forum could use a central repository of images of the knives of Ken Erickson.

Not only has Ken proven to be a major player in the world of custom slipjoints (in a very short time, I might add) but he is also a major contributor to and reason why this forum is as interesting and informative as it is. In addition (and more importantly) he is a man I am very proud to call a close friend.

Please feel free to share your images of Ken's knives in this thread.

I'll start off with images of the second slipjoint that Ken ever made and then add a few additional images of other knives by Ken that I am indeed fortunate to own.

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

standard.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

I think you're right on both counts, I do have good taste in folders! Yours included! Fine work!

The Wife and I are going to come up for the Badger Knife Club Show on Saturday, we're only couple hours away.
w.png

Yeah, that is a really nice one, I was super bummed when I missed it on the for sale forum. I love this pattern, pretty much my ideal EDC pattern and thinking I might pick up that yellow handled one at the Badger show if the funds can come together in time.