Ken Erickson Knives: A Retrospective

Thank You, I thought so when I got it from Ken. If you want to handle it, you will have to meet up with Charlie. It is on the waynorth.
Jim

I'm pretty sure they don't allow MOP into Canada, you better send it to me.;)

Don't worry, no body in Canada has ever seen a piece of MOP that nice before--they won't know what it is. You're safe Charlie.

Canadians are fast learners!
Ken, your knife is going on a Northerly journey!
I think Jim remembered me tripping over my tongue when I first saw that knife!:D
I am ever grateful!:thumbup:

I'm Canadian but i don't think i'm learning fast enough ! but i'll try.
O.K. here goes: Charlie how 'bout you send that Ivory Wharncliffe Swayback on a little trip about 600 Km east and i'll send you a buncha $ ?
i'm holding my breath,
roland (blue now)

Well here are a few of my beauties from the master!!

IMGP5104-2.jpg

IMGP5113.jpg

IMGP4013_edited-1-1.jpg

IMGP4006_edited-1-1.jpg

IMG_1499-3.jpg

IMG_1502-2.jpg

Some real beauties there 1200S! :cool:
I'm torn between the lockback & dogleg.:confused:
Thanks for posting all three! :thumbup:

Thanks Knowtracks. All of my Ericksons are special but the Lockback that Ken created for me is the most special of all.

1200S, i think your Serpentine Whittler is totally compelling. it is calling to me loudly ! i'd like to know it's length closed. that's the knife i would like to own.
roland

rprocter

You have a good eye and great taste :D.

If you go to the following post you can find the entire legacy of this knife. Ken was kind enough to capture the details of the entire build of this knife through his "Work in Process" post. It was great fun to watch this knife being built.

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=637990

rprocter

You have a good eye and great taste :D.

If you go to the following post you can find the entire legacy of this knife. Ken was kind enough to capture the details of the entire build of this knife through his "Work in Process" post. It was great fun to watch this knife being built.

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=637990

And he even returned my Case 6380 whittler that the pattern was based upon. :D
(I say based upon since he improved upon it in near every way.)

It was nice being reminded of that 6380 thread! I read it again all the way through, and it is as mind boggling as it was the first time!
Ken mentioned a cold, damp basement which was his first shop; I wonder if the knife in this picture came from that basement??:confused::D

Here is the very recent Gent's Pen that I received today, along with Ken's very first Folder!
KenFirstandrecent.jpg

This Pen displays bravery and talent you don't often see in a maker! I mean, who would go and make a nice Ivory Handled knife like this, and then go a-whittlin' on it??:eek: Some very sophisticated "whittlin'" at that; more properly called carving of course!:thumbup: It's a very nice knife, even more so in person.

Then there's the basement special (is it from the depths, Ken?). Man, I've seen some knifemaker's 100th efforts that wouldn't match it! It's ergonomic, has decent fit and finish (comes with an NCA* guarantee!:p), semi-sunk joints, and takes a nice edge on a diamond hone.

Thanks for a couple of beauties, Ken. Nice to see a step in your evolution as a maker!:thumbup:

*NCA = No Complaints Allowed;)

It was nice being reminded of that 6380 thread! I read it again all the way through, and it is as mind boggling as it was the first time!
Ken mentioned a cold, damp basement which was his first shop; I wonder if the knife in this picture came from that basement??:confused::D
Then there's the basement special (is it from the depths, Ken?).
*NCA = No Complaints Allowed;)

Charlie,

Glad the knives made it back to you in good shape. Thanks!

Actually My first slipjoint was also the first knife made in my new shop after I moved it up to the garage. I had not purchased my milling machine yet but did have a surface grinder. If you notice the bolsters are integral on that knife. I used my surface grinder to remove the extra material:eek:. Not an efficient use of time!

Thanks everyone for the comments and pictures in this thread!

Nice sowbelly, with a traditional sowbelly shield!!

Some great knives men, keep em coming!
I know this background is getting a little over exposed in this thread but Ken's pics are so much better than mine. :D This is my 1 collaboration with Ken, and for me the collaboration part was the most fun. Well that and getting this beautiful trapper in the end.
I like a few others 1st saw Ken's work right here in this forum and was impressed. I knew what pattern I wanted made 1st long before I ever started looking for a knife maker. I had been "kickin the tires" around for a long time before I decided to buy a custom made knife. And then 1 day it finally came to me that I aint gettin any younger nor any better lookin & ya can't take it with ya , so spend it!:eek: And spend it on something you enjoy! .......... Sorry got lost there.
So I got on Ken's list, and while I was waiting the wheel (I used to have more) started turning....maybe I should do this, maybe that, you know, driving myself crazy!! That is the trouble with having to wait, it give us time to think up stuff. When I saw this Mammoth Ivory the 1st time, an idea started. I took a chance & bought the Ivory on line, I was worried about how deep the checks/fishers were. I hoped to get lucky & have a cool scale on this trapper. When my time got close I sent Ken the Ivory and asked his opinion. He thought it was worth a try.
Ken, as was stated before, was a pleasure to work with. Explaining, and showing me different pattern & blade variations with pictures. Suggesting different things like thicker blade/spring stock because this was a larger knife. When it got down to the end I couldn't decide on a shield. So finally I asked Ken if he would try a horse shoe. He said sure (anything to get rid of this joker) :p and after 1 try he put a beauty on her. It was an adventure for me to have a small role in direction of this build & Ken made sure it stayed true to it's roots.
I'll shut up now & post Ken's pics.
IMGP3608_edited-1.jpg

IMGP3610_edited-1.jpg

IMGP3611_edited-1.jpg

IMGP3614_edited-1.jpg

IMGP3616-1_edited-1.jpg

IMGP3613_edited-1.jpg

IMGP3609_edited-1.jpg

Last edited:
Back