Ken Erickson Knives: A Retrospective

Ken, I'm a real sucker for unique patterns and I love this one. I really like the "officers model" concept too. Great execution!

What size checkering file did you end up using for the nail file? 50 LPI?

Thanks everyone for the very kind words on this knife!

Ken, I'm a real sucker for unique patterns and I love this one. I really like the "officers model" concept too. Great execution!

What size checkering file did you end up using for the nail file? 50 LPI?

I am not sure what the LPI is , as I grabbed the finest I had in my tool box. The originals are finer but I really like the way mine cuts. It is more aggressive but still leaves a smooth nail.

I actually coined a name for this knife , the "John Adams". Of course a true patriot and second president of the US but also thought of as the father of the United States Navy.

It looks like it would do a great job. I like an aggressive file too. Great name for the knife as well. I'm sure Charlie will treasure it. Now if I could just get him to adopt me...

Thanks everyone for the very kind words on this knife!

I am not sure what the LPI is , as I grabbed the finest I had in my tool box. The originals are finer but I really like the way mine cuts. It is more aggressive but still leaves a smooth nail.

I actually coined a name for this knife , the "John Adams". Of course a true patriot and second president of the US but also thought of as the father of the United States Navy.

I'm sure John Adams (JA) is smiling down on Ken!
JA was one of the original patriots, and deserves such an honor, among others, for helping the fledgling USA to survive and take its place among the great nations of the world.
Resurrecting the Navy pattern knife was my idea - everything else was all Ken; dressing it up, and naming it etc!!
Such a great job - I can't wait to see this one alongside the ordinary seaman's model.
Nice work, KE!!

_DSC2944.jpg

I think this picture is interesting as it shows minor differences in build between the two original examples. The Case is on the left and the Robeson is on the right. Many sharp eyed reader may figure out which I more closely based my pattern on. I had mentioned in the first post that both knives were covered in bone, but I believe the Case is second cut stag. Maybe Charlie can chime in on that one.
Here are a few of the notable differences I see between the Robeson and Case.
The run-up is considerably more pronounced on the Case.
The Case has a extra cover pin
The Case has the bail retained with a separate pin while the Robeson utilizes the rear most backspring pin.
The overall size of the Case both in profile and width is larger than the Robeson, especially at the bail end.
The easy opening notch is slightly forward on the Case compared to the Robeson.

It looks like it would do a great job. I like an aggressive file too. Great name for the knife as well. I'm sure Charlie will treasure it. Now if I could just get him to adopt me...

Jared, I got your application for adoption in the mail, but as I write this, it has now worked its way down to 16th in the pile - and I'm still opening envelopes - sorry.

:D

Last edited:
Robeson is noted for their sunk and semi-sunk joints. Their philosophy of "Pocketeze" followed the knife into your pocket, and probably sold a lot of knives for them.
I never put a glass on that handle, Ken; now I am interested to see if in fact it looks like stag. Should be able to get some idea under 20-30 power.
Ken you are a brave man, cutting into that hi-grade pearl for a shield!

Phew, glad you got it. Good thing there's no limit on the number of adoptions. ;)

Jared, I got your application for adoption in the mail, but as I write this, it has now worked its way down to 16th in the pile - and I'm still opening envelopes - sorry.

:D

Ken,

As always your work shows a combination of perfection mixed with the classiest style. Such bold strong looking knives, even in pearl.

Btw, thanks for making me not feel so weird for thinking its okay to name knives.

Kevin

One of my favorite patterns, this one (as all others) just came out fantastic Ken. Good idea Charlie to give such an honor to this pattern.
For comparison, here are Case and Camillus in ebony.

IMG_4902.JPG

Maybe we should open a thread for these.

Mike

Nice collaboration Ken and Charlie. Another fine example of the knowledgable collector and master craftsman coming together. I know you both enjoying doing projects this way and you really nailed this one. Question about the pattern, I am not that familiar with it but have read two things about the master blade profile on these; one is that knives being brought abroad ship had to have blunted blades and the other is that it was intended to be a rope cutter. Both true? If the later I am anxious to see the matching Officers Grade Whacking Mallet:D Super nice job guys:thumbup:

Last edited:
Question about the pattern, I am not that familiar with it but have read two things about the master blade profile on these; one is that knives being brought abroad ship had to have blunted blades and the other is that it was intended to be a rope cutter. Both true? If the later I am anxious to see the matching Officers Grade Whacking Mallet:D Super nice job guys:thumbup:

Video NOT forthcoming! :eek::D

We need a picture of a belaying pin! (Photobucket has still not straightened out my account!)

The Navy knife looks so darn clean. Great work Ken.

I finished up the second knife in the Navy Knife series.
These knives were a blast for me to make, thanks Charlie for the opportunity!

The second knife features my dyed and jigged bone along with a bail. Making the bail presented its own challenges. The bail is made from 416ss. No forging was used to accomplish the "eyelets" that the pivot pin passes thru.

_DSC2996.jpg

06e863e8-0743-4cde-9941-be9232608fd3.jpg

_DSC2993_edited-1.jpg

_DSC2992.jpg

_DSC2994.jpg

_DSC2991.jpg

_DSC2987.jpg

_DSC2986.jpg

Great knives Ken! I love the jigging on that bone!

Back