Ken Erickson Knives: A Retrospective

Beautiful work, Ken...now if I could just get the Village People's "In The Navy" out of my head...:p

Beautiful work, Ken...now if I could just get the Village People's "In The Navy" out of my head...:p

I just had to Google that one! LOL OF course now I am permanently scarred for the rest of the day! :eek::D
[video=youtube;kTYEOAX3sjM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTYEOAX3sjM[/video]

I finished up the second knife in the Navy Knife series.
These knives were a blast for me to make, thanks Charlie for the opportunity!

The second knife features my dyed and jigged bone along with a bail. Making the bail presented its own challenges. The bail is made from 416ss. No forging was used to accomplish the "eyelets" that the pivot pin passes thru.

_DSC2993_edited-1.jpg

I still want to see the whacking pictures:p Very nice. I have a new found lust for Navy knives.

Ken, the stock on that main blade looks stout enough for the rigors of rope work. What is the thickness?

Ken, the stock on that main blade looks stout enough for the rigors of rope work. What is the thickness?

Brad,

The stock thickness is .093 which is pretty standard for a knife of this length. The manicure blade stock thickness comes in at .078.
The master blade is pretty stout , but of course having a full flat grind helps versus a hollow grind.

I was surprised at how diminutive these knives are in hand. All the previous pictures etc that I saw on-line belie that fact. I am not sure how much spine whacking went on with these knives in the real shipboard world.

Last edited:
Brad,

The stock thickness is .093 which is pretty standard for a knife of this length. The manicure blade stock thickness comes in at .078.
The master blade is pretty stout , but of course having a full flat grind helps versus a hollow grind.

I was surprised at how diminutive these knives are in hand. All the previous pictures etc that I saw on-line belie that fact. I am not sure how much spine whacking went on with these knives in the real shipboard world.

Must be an optical illusion due to the smaller thickness of the manicure. That and the fact that I overlooked the 3 3/8" size. I certainly agree they appear much larger in photos.

Great knives Ken! I love the jigging on that bone!

Agreed! This might be my favorite of your jigging/coloration yet-- and that's saying a lot.

I just had to Google that one! LOL OF course now I am permanently scarred for the rest of the day! :eek::D

Oh, the deleterious effects last much longer than a day.

sick.gif

Good ol' Elliott!

(
head_slap.gif
)

;)

~ P.

That bone jigging is just incredible!! Best I have ever seen done individually; captures 200 years of jigged bone in cutlery making!!
And I can only imagine how much work it took to shape that bale without forging the "eye"! That means the whole bale had to be filed to look like wire stock! The patience of a monk illuminating a page in an early Bible comes to mind.
Custom cutlery at its finest!!

Great work Ken! That bail just looks amazing! It's perfect...imho. I'm sure that was fun making. The jigging
is wonderful, nice color and depth. The whole knife is awesome. Congrats to you both. Going to a great home...

Jason

You nailed it Ken. As others have said the knife as a whole is like somebody 100 years ago had the machinery and advancements we have today, and then made a knife to perfection.

The Jigging is SIIIICK! (in a good way)

I was asked to build a knife based on a set of very specific requirements. This is the knife with Wharncliffe blade. Shortly afterwards, after seeing pictures, I was asked to build basically the same knife but linerless and with a Turkish clip blade. Both of these knives were a blast to make, both for great guys. I also was able to get these knives done with the help of a couple of BF members, getting me the cover material. Thanks!

3 1/2 closed length
Both in CPM-154

The liner-ed version weighs 1.7 oz while the linerless version comes in a 1oz even.

14bf6a30-bd80-47e6-8bd9-a7aa8ce9c2cd.jpg

_DSC3271.jpg

_DSC3260.jpg

_DSC3032.jpg

Ken, what color is that micarta? looks nice. Copperhead shadow looks awesome, nice
EDC pattern, blade and handle material as well. Sunken joint gives it a wonderful touch.... Congrats to you all!

Jason

Ken, that brown paper looks amazing jigged. At first glance I thought it was bone. Both look Great!

Quick question, did you mill relieve the linerless knife?

Ken, what color is that micarta? looks nice. Copperhead shadow looks awesome, nice
EDC pattern, blade and handle material as well. Sunken joint gives it a wonderful touch.... Congrats to you all!

Jason
Jason, in hand it looks chocolate, much like a Hershey bar,
Ken, that brown paper looks amazing jigged. At first glance I thought it was bone. Both look Great!

Quick question, did you mill relieve the linerless knife?
Jared,
yes i mill relieve liner-less shadows also. If memory serves this is only the second one that i have built.

Back